Beast Clergyman is a Boss in Elden Ring. He is the boss form of Gurranq Beast Clergyman. This Elden Ring Beast Clergyman Guide features boss locations, tips, strategies and videos on how to defeat the Beast Clergyman easily, as well as boss stats and lore for the Beast Clergyman.
The Beast Clergyman is found in Crumbling Farum Azula and is greatly implied to be Gurranq, as he recognises you and changes his dialogue if you have given Gurranq all 9 Deathroot. Despite this, defeating this boss does not result in Gurranq's death (and has no effect on your progress with his quest) and vice-versa. A possible explanation for this is that Crumbling Farum Azula exists outside of time.
This is NOT an optional boss as players MUST defeat it to reach an endgame area in Elden Ring. Although the Beast Clergyman is quite large and may seem sluggish at first glance, he is far from it and you should be mindful of his high mobility and quick attacks. After taking him down to 50-55% HP, a cutscene plays and you'll be faced off against Maliketh, the Black Blade. There are several Items and strategies for the fight against Maliketh that do not apply to the Beast Clergyman's fight, so make sure to be prepared for him as well.
Bosses are unique and challenging Enemies that can be encountered all over the Lands Between. Legend bosses drop their own unique Remembrance capable of being transformed into powerful Weapons, Spells, Ashes of War, and Talismans for the player.
The Beast Clergyman guards Destined Death, to prevent any from stealing it again. He attacks with his dagger, moving quite swiftly for his size. He also uses Bestial Incantations to fling rocks or fire off devastating shockwaves.
Elden Ring Beast Clergyman Boss
Beast Clergyman is a Legend Boss found in Crumbling Faram Azula.
- This boss is NOT optional.
- This is a Legend type boss.
- Closest Site of Grace: Beside the Great Bridge
- Multiplayer is allowed for this fight.
- Spirit ashes can be summoned for this fight.
Elden Ring Beast Clergyman Location
Beast Clergyman Combat Information
- Health: NG (10,620), NG+ (10,631), NG++ (??), NG+3 (??), NG+4 (??), NG+5 (??), NG+6 (??), NG+7 (??)
- Phase 2 triggers at 55% HP
- Defenses do not change between phases
- Deals Standard Damage, Pierce Damage (1st phase) and Magic Damage and Holy Damage (2nd phase).
- Parriable: No (1st phase), Yes (2nd phase with Blasphemous Claw only - if done successfully, Maliketh will cover his eyes and perform a slow sword slash from above his head)
- Poise can be broken, which allows for a critical attack. Poise: 80
Once roughly half of Beast Clergyman's health has been depleted, a cutscene will play and the battle with Maliketh, the Black Blade will begin.
The absorption numbers are the % of your damage that gets blocked. For example, if an absorption is 60, 40% of that damage by that type will go through and 60% is absorbed. Bigger number = less damage. An absorption of 100 means no damage goes through, and a resistance of -100 mean the enemy takes 2x damage from that source. 0 means damage goes pretty much as is.
The resistance numbers are the buildup amount to trigger it. For example, if a resistance is 100 you must deal 100 points of whatever aux buildup to trigger it. Note that these go down over time, and increase each time the effect procs. Poise regenerates after 6 seconds without any hits or upon a poise break.
Elden Ring Beast Clergyman Boss Guide
Beast Clergyman Boss Video Guide
[video coming soon]
Beast Clergyman Fight Strategy
The Best Tips for Beast Clergyman:
- Use the Mimic Ash Summons. If you have Tiche, she destroys his health. The second phase is immune to the Death Blade attack.
- Use the ?? Spell
- Bring Blasphemous Claw Item for his second phase.
EffectDeflects the power of the Black Blade Scaling- FP Cost -
A slab of rock engraved with traces of the Rune of Death.
Can deflect the power of the Black Blade.
On the night of the dire plot, Ranni rewarded Praetor Rykard with these traces. Should the coming trespass one day transpire, they would serve as a last-resort foil, allowing Rykard to challenge Maliketh the Black Blade, the black beast of Destined Death.
Where to find Blasphemous Claw in Elden Ring
Blasphemous Claw use in Elden Ring
- The Blasphemous Claw can be used to deflect the power of the Black Blade, acting similarly to a Parry.
- Can parry specific melee attacks from Maliketh. His sword will briefly glow yellow before attacks that can be parried.
- His sword also glows white before his projectile attacks, but these do not seem to be parriable.
- If timed correctly against Maliketh's glowing attacks, stuns him temporarily, giving a massive window to attack.
- Does not seem like the Blasphemous Claw can be used in PVP against the Black Blade incantation or Maliketh's Black Blade weapon. Has been tested a bit and did not seem to work against them, but more testing would be helpful.
Elden Ring Blasphemous Claw Notes & Tips
- The Blasphemous Claw can be used indefinitely and costs no FP to use.
- You can hold up to 1 Blasphemous Claw.
- You can store up to 600 Blasphemous Claw.
- This item cannot be sold.
- Notes and tips go here.
Strategy Writeup for Melee Users
(Work in progress)
A safe way to get through the first phase is to hug one of the pillars. This will block most of the Beast Clergyman's attacks. He has one attack that is relatively safe to punish: You want to wait until he sticks his knife into the ground and then drags it across the screen from left to right. You can punish this with a jumping attack and then quickly return to circling the pillar. It can take a while to deal damage to him this way, but is a safe way to get through phase one.
This attack is easier to see coming if you circle anti-clockwise. Sometimes the lock-on will break, so try and reapply it when safe. Be careful not to stand too close to the pillar, as some of his attacks may still cause damage through it.
Magic and Ranged Users
The Beast Clergyman uses many fast and rapid attacks at close range, maintain your distance and use spells that don't have long charge ups for this fight. Move around the pillars to use them as cover against the ranged rock throwing attacks when using flasks but try to watch out for the Beast Claw attack during this time as this attack will ignore the pillar.
It is possible to use the gap in the door to keep yourself safe from the boss while repeatedly hitting them until the fight ends.
Beast Clergyman Attacks & Counters
|Rock Spray||The boss drags its left hand on the ground, picking up rocks which it holds before throwing at you||Roll to the side or move behind a pillar|
|Rock Throw||The boss drags its left hand on the ground and holds up a boulder before throwing it at you||Move or Roll to the side, or move behind a pillar|
|Beast Claw||The boss Raises their left arm in the air creating visible shock wave lines then slams their hand into the ground before swinging their arm at the player shortly after, sending shock waves towards the player. The shock waves are not stopped by the pillars in the room.||Roll to the side|
|Swipe attacks||Multiple quick furious swipes with the sword in their right hand.
2 quick swipes, a forehand then a backhand, that can be followed up with more attacks
|Roll backwards and away from the boss to get out of range|
|The boss holds its weapon in its mouth and slams the ground with its fists, causing random spots to crack, showing where boulders will shoot up and then hit the ground||Run away at the start of the attack. Look at the ground to not run into the boulders|
Beast Clergyman Lore, Notes & Other Trivia
- Voice Actor: Jonathan Keeble
- This boss is somewhat similar to the Guardian Ape from Sekiro, in the sense that he wildly swings multiple times at the player with large claws (as beasts do). His use of incantations and special abilities make him far different in terms of strategy, however.
(If all 9 Deathroot has been given to Gurranq): Tarnished. Why wouldst thou... Why... Tis no matter. I hereby vow, that Destined Death shall not be stolen again
(During transformation cutscene): O, Death. Become my blade, once more.
(If not all Deathroot has been given to Gurranq): Witless Tarnished... Why covet Destined Death? To kill what?
(If all 9 Deathroot has been given to Gurranq): Forgive me, Marika... The Golden Order... cannot be restored.
Beast Clergyman Image Gallery