Blaidd the Half-Wolf
|Role||Quest NPC and summon|
|Voiced by||Scott Arthur|
|Drops|| 1111 - 2520 Runes
Blaidd is an NPC in Elden Ring. Blaidd is a half man, half wolf, found howling in the Mistwood Ruins. He's the trusted companion and guardian of Ranni the Witch. Blaidd can be also be found as an NPC Summon, if conditions are right.
Kalé sent you, did he? Ever the bloody busybody. Hmm. Maybe to him, you don't seem so strange.
The name's Blaidd. I'm looking for a man who goes by "Darriwil."
Blaidd Location in Elden Ring
Blaidd can be found initially at Mistwood Ruins, but must be found as part of his quest.
- This NPC moves
- This NPC can be fought
- Can become hostile if the player kills ANY of the large rune bears before meeting him. (It's unclear why this makes him hostile, but several reports have shown him becoming hostile for no apparent reason, and the only link seems to be a rune bear being slain at ANY location prior to hearing his howling.)
- Should Blaidd be hostile at the first encounter (maybe a Bug) you can visit the Church of Vows. After Atonement, Blaidd will reset. All Questlines involving Blaidd can be completed successfully.
- NPC Summon: Speak to Blaidd first before the Bloodhound Knight Darriwil fight to use him as a Summon
Can also be summoned against Starscourge Radahn, along with many other festival participants.
Blaidd Questline: How to complete Blaidd's Quest
- Inside Mistwood, the player can occasionally hear a wolf howl. At this point, they can ask Merchant Kale about the howling. The merchant will teach the player the Finger Snap gesture.
- Blaidd can be seen resting on the tallest point in the Mistwood Ruins, and will jump down after the player uses the gesture while standing below him. Blaidd will tell the player he is searching for a man who goes by the name "Darriwil".
- See it on the Elden Ring Map here.
Forlorn Hound Evergaol
- Darriwil can be fought at the Forlorn Hound Evergaol, where Blaidd will become available as a summon. Speak to Blaidd again after the fight.
- Talking to Blaidd once will yield a Somber Smithing stone . Talk to him a second time and he will mention a blacksmith along the Road to the Manor in Liurnia, and instruct the player to say that "Blaidd sent them". Doing this will unlock the Carian Filigreed Crest in the blacksmith's shop.
- If the Evergaol fight was completed before meeting Blaidd, he will still be available to speak to here after the player talks to him in the Mistwood Ruins.
- See it on the Elden Ring Map here.
- After meeting Ranni the Witch in Liurnia and taking on her quest, the player will need to meet Blaidd at Siofra River, which can be entered by taking the lift at the Siofra River Well in Mistwood. Blaidd will ask you to speak to Preceptor Seluvis, who in turn directs you to Sorceress Sellen. (Map Link)
- Blaidd will be located east of the Siofra River Bank site of grace, standing along the edge of a cliff nearby a Spirit Spring. You can find him on the Interactive Map here.
- After speaking to Sellen, report back to Blaidd at Siofra River. He will request that you meet him at Redmane Castle to participate in a festival. Map Link
- Blaidd can be found alongside other NPCs in the inner courtyard of Redmane Castle (where there is normally a boss fight when the festival event is not active). After speaking to the herald, Jerren, the festival will begin. Blaidd will be available as a summon during the fight in the Wailing Dunes against Starscourge Radahn.
- If the festival is triggered by using the Grand Lift of Dectus instead of through Ranni's questline, Blaidd will still show up at Redmane Castle. All prior interactions with Blaidd, as well as the initial portion of Ranni's questline, will be skipped. Elden Ring Map Link
- If Blaidd is currently attending the festival and Radahn is not defeated, he will still be there even if you obtained and returned the Fingerslayer Blade to Ranni using glitches.
- Once the festival is completed, the player can find Blaidd trapped inside the Forlorn Hound Evergaol. You can speak with Iji before or after this part of the questline for some additional dialogue.
- Optional. Blaidd still shows up at Ranni's Rise regardless of if the player did this part of the questline.
- After defeating Radahn, the player can talk to Blaidd next to Starscourge Radahn site of grace in Wailing Dunes.
- Players who wanted to interact with Blaidd should note that leaving Wailing Dunes after Radahn's defeat is the trigger for Iji imprisoning Blaidd regardless of prior interaction or progress. He will remain in the evergaol until released or Ranni's quest is progressed to the end.
- Additionally, if Radahn is killed before the first stages of Ranni's quest, Blaidd will be notably absent when you are otherwise tasked with speaking to her three servants, the other two being Iji and Seluvis, at the base of Ranni's Rise.
- After completing Ranni's questline, return to Ranni's Rise where you may find Blaidd outside at the entrance, hostile. Defeating him will grant you his greatsword and his armor set (except the helm, which can be found near Seluvis's Rise).
- Note that you need FULL questline completion, which means after you get the Dark Moon Greatsword and not only up to when you give Ranni the Fingerslayer Blade.
- Other factors effect whether Blaidd appears, which are not obvious will lead to him appearing. You can progress through Ranni's questline entirely without him appearing hostile, however he may appear later contigent on these unknown other factors.
- Defeating Astel may be the trigger that causes him to appear at Ranni's Rise hostile, also having obtained the Dark Moon Ring may also be a factor.
- Can be safely dispatched by using Poison Mist while sneaking behind him. Since it deals no damage it will not cause him to fight back unless he detects you otherwise. The poison status can be reapplied when it wears off, just note that it will take longer each time to reapply due to the way status effects are harder to inflict sequentially on the same enemy.
- If he does detect you, you can just retreat inside the tower and ride the elevator. He will eventually reset after some time.
- Another way to safely dispatch him is to use Giantsflame Take Thee from the ledge atop Ranni's Rise. Blaidd has no way to reach you and simply paces out front while doing a poor job of dodging the fireballs.
Elden Ring Blaidd Combat information
- Health: 1506-3175 HP
- Poise: 80
The absorption numbers are the % of your damage that gets blocked. For example, if an absorption is 60, 40% of that damage by that type will go through and 60% is absorbed. Bigger number = less damage. An absorption of 100 means no damage goes through, and a resistance of -100 mean the enemy takes 2x damage from that source. 0 means damage goes pretty much as is.
The resistance numbers are the buildup amount to trigger it. For example, if a resistance is 100 you must deal 100 points of whatever aux buildup to trigger it. Note that these go down over time, and increase each time the effect procs.
Elden Ring Blaidd Drops
Dialogue in Elden Ring: Blaidd
Introduction at Mistwood Ruins
- Who goes there? Kalé sent you, did he? Ever the bloody busybody. Hmm. Maybe to him, you don't seem so strange. The name's Blaidd. I'm looking for a man who goes by "Darriwil." He fled somewhere nearby. Or so I've heard. Come tell me if you find him before I do. I can offer you ample reward.
- Darriwil is nothing but a traitor. And in need of a fitting end to his tale.
Attacking him at Mistwood Ruins
- Oh? Fine. Time to douse your little flame.
- (On player kill) Hmph. Pathetic little man.
When killed at Mistwood Ruins
- You're... you're strong of arm. But ask yourself... What harm can be done... to a shadow?
As a summon in the Forlorn Hound Evergaol
- Darriwil… Rotting in a cell is no true justice. No, this is where it ends for you.
After defeating Darriwil
- <sigh> ...Right. There you are. Had to work for it, but it's done. Don't say I'm not a man of my word. Here's your prize. <presents somber smithing stone>
- Oh yes, I should say - If you venture north to Raya Lucaria, and come across a venerable blacksmith who's a little on the large side… Tell him I sent you. And he'll be sure to treat you right. I owe you one, I reckon.
- That's enough chit-chat for now. It's time we parted ways.
In spectral form, after meeting Ranni at Ranni’s Rise
- Ahh, long time, friend. Blaidd, if you’ve forgotten. Glad to have you in the service of mistress Ranni.
- Well. Getting right to business… I’m still in Limgrave. The eternal city of Nokron lies somewhere at the bottom of this land. I’m planning to go below through the well in the Mistwood. See if I can’t find the road to Nokron from there…
Upon meeting him at Siofra River
- Ah, good to see you. Apologies mate, but I don’t have much to report. I can see bloody Nokron, right above me, but I’m absolutely stumped. I’ve tried all the gateways, to no avail… Perhaps it’s time to ask Seluvis? I recall that spiteful little rat acting like he knew something… Let’s give him a squeeze. Show him just how sharp my teeth are…
- I jest, I wouldn’t go that far. Besides, I should check on some things here. Leave this place to me. You just do what you feel is right. If either of us learns anything, we tell the other. Right? And if we reach a dead end, I suppose we go back to the source. Seluvis rarely gives a straight answer, the first time.
After speaking with Seluvis but not yet with Sellen
- Ah. Well met. What news?
- [I still don't understand] Right. I see. Leave this place to me. You just do what you feel is right. If either of us learns anything, we tell the other. Right?
Second meeting at Siofra River, after talking to Sorceress Sellen
- Ah. Well met. What news?
After selecting “Tell Sellen’s story” dialogue option.
- Hmm… So Ranni’s fate is kept in stasis by Starscourge Radahn… That reminds me of something I heard. There’s a festival being held at the castle on the southern edge of the Caelid Wilds, east of Limgrave. It’s a festival of combat. And I heard… that you can fight Radahn himself. He who was once called the strongest of all the demigods… Maybe it’s just a coincidence, but I think it’s worth investigating. I’ll be on my way to this festival of Radahn then…
- You’re coming too, right? To Radahn’s festivities… I’ll meet you at Redmane Castle in Caelid. The way ahead is pleasingly simple. We fight, sword and fang.
After selecting “Don’t say anything” dialogue option.
- Right. I see. Leave this place to me. You just do what you feel is right. If either of us learns anything, we tell the other. Right?
At Redmane Castle before the festival of Radahn begins
- Ah, there you are. Took your sweet time. The players are all made up, and waiting for the curtain… Let’s give them a show to remember, eh. Just don’t you go dying on me. For Ranni’s sake, too.
After defeating Radahn
- Ah, good. I was waiting for you. What a sick way to fight, eh. The glory of the clash is shared, by Radahn and you. And hah! Did you see that, afterwards? A falling star, right before our eyes! I can’t fathom how Radahn was holding back something of that scale. He was a living legend, if ever I saw one. And, the path has now been cleared. To Nokron, where Ranni’s fate will be decided. Let’s meet where the falling star bit the earth. We’ll take up our swords once more. For mistress Ranni.
- Let’s meet where the falling star bit the earth. And we’ll go into battle again, side by side. My only purpose is to fight for Ranni’s fate, sword and fang. The curtain’s rising… on the final act.
Blaidd’s message left at Mistwood Ruins (before the player enters Nokron)
- There’s a traitor taken care of. Onwards to Nokron, then. Go on, I’ll catch up.
At Forlorn Hound Evergaol after defeating Radahn
- Oh, it's you... It's me, Blaidd. Old Iji trapped me here. Told me I'd bring nought but bale to Lady Ranni. But there's no chance that could happen. I'm part of her being. Her very shadow... I thought old Iji knew as much... Honestly, I don't know what's going on anymore...
- [Open the evergaol]
My thanks, friend. I'm going to see mistress Ranni, now. I don't know what came over old Iji, but even if the odds are slim, I need to check the mistress is safe. Now, Ranni can finally set in motion the fight against her fate she's dreamt of for so long.
Before fighting a hostile Blaidd, outside the tower of Ranni’s Rise
- <muttering to himself> No. I’m part of her very being! I could never betray her! No matter what might happen... Ranni... She needs me...
Elden Ring Blaidd Notes & Trivia
- 'Blaidd' is Welsh for wolf, and is pronounced /blai̯ð/ (BLY-dh).
- Is referred to, by War Counselor Iji, as becoming more like a brother to Lady Ranni.