Death Rite Bird
|Location||Mountaintops of the Giants
Liurnia of the Lakes
Death Rite Bird is a group of Bosses with the same name in Elden Ring. Death Rite Birds are skeletal bird-like creature found in various locations. These are optional bosses as players are not required to defeat them in order to advance in Elden Ring, but they do provide useful items and Runes upon defeat.
In the time when there was no Erdtree, death was burned in ghostflame. Deathbirds were the keepers of that fire. The birds are graveyard fire keepers; it is said they rake out the ashen remains of the dead from their kilns.
Elden Ring Death Rite Bird Boss
Death Rite Bird is a Boss found in multiple locations.
- Death Rite Bird is an optional boss.
- Death Rite Bird is a Field-class boss.
- Closest Sites of Grace: Southern Aeonia Swamp Bank (Elden Ring Map Link)
- Is multiplayer allowed for this boss?
- You can summon Spirit ashes for this boss, depending on location.
Elden Ring Death Rite Bird Location
The Death Rite Bird can be found in multiple locations:
- Caelid: Directly east-southeast from the Southern Aeonia Swamp Bank site of grace, across the road. It drops the Death's Poker. [Elden Ring Map Link]
- Liurnia of the Lakes: just south of Gate Town North Site of Grace at night. It drops the Ancient Death Rancor. [Elden Ring Map Link]
- Mountaintops of the Giants: Found by crossing the bridge northwest of Stargazer's Ruins and then heading down the snow-capped cliffs. This encounter is NOT night-only. It drops the Death Ritual Spear. [Elden Ring Map Link]
- Consecrated Snowfield: Found at the head of the frozen river, just southeast of the Apostate Derelict at night. It drops Explosive Ghostflame. [Elden Ring Map Link]
Death Rite Bird Combat Information
- Health: NG (??), NG+ (??), NG++ (??), NG+3 (??), NG+4 (??), NG+5 (??), NG+6 (??), NG+7 (??)
- Defenses do not change between phases.
- Deals Standard Damage, Pierce Damage and Magic Damage. May also inflict Frosbite.
- Undead type
- Parriable: No
- Can have its stance broken, allowing for a critical attack. Poise: 120.
- Weak spot: Head
The absorption numbers are the % of your damage that gets blocked. For example if an absorption is 60. 40% of that damage by that type will go through and 60% is absorbed. Bigger number= less damage. An absorption of 100 means no damage goes through, and a resistance of -100 mean the enemy takes 2x damage from that source. 0 means damage goes pretty much as is.
- Poison: Immune
- Scarlet Rot: 252
- Hemorrhage: Immune
- Frostbite: Immune
- Madness: Immune
- Death Blight: Immune
The resistance numbers is the buildup amount to trigger it. For example if a resistance is 100 you must deal 100 points of whatever aux buildup to trigger it. Note that these go down over time, and increase each time the effect procs.
Elden Ring Death Rite Bird Boss Guide
Death Rite Bird Boss Video Guide
[video coming soon]
Death Rite Bird Fight Strategy
The Best Tips for Death Rite Bird:
- Death Rite birds are extremely weak to Holy Damage. The ones encountered early on in particular will crumble before 2-3 Holy Pots with high enough faith, especially when player targets their head.
- The lingering ghostflame can knock you off horseback. Use your mount only if you're engaging it from afar; mounted close combat is very risky.
- Blind spots include right under the Bird or behind it, but ghostflame can limit the amount of safe footing to get up close.
- Use locking onto its head with care, as it can easily disorient the player due to its mobility. Only lock onto it to hit its head with magic or melee attacks.
- Caelid: above the gate on the road to Sellia, there is a pot-throwing Troll. If you bait the Death Rite Bird into the range of the Troll, the pots he throws deal significant amount of damage.
- In medium/late-game (or NG+) Fallingstar Beast Jaw skill (Gravity Bolt) is very effective at breaking Death Rite Bird's poise, especially with lock on their head.
It is advisable not to fight the Death Rite Bird on horseback, as most of its attacks will still clip you even at full sprint on Torrent. Using a Faith build helps, because this boss is weak to Holy damage, and having the Cipher Pata, Coded Sword, or any Faith-scaling weapon will help out a lot in dealing significant damage. Additionally, make sure to add any of the Holy damage Ashes of War to your weapon (the ones starting with 'Sacred'). Try sticking to its legs and dodge rolling its attacks. When the boss flies away and disengages to attack you using either the Black Pinion Barrage or Rain of Spears, you can quickly use Torrent to run away and avoid the attack, then get close to the boss and dismount your horse.
Magic and Ranged Users
Many of its abilities can one-shot you if you don't have high HP. Many more deal death-magic chip damage even if you block, or cause some AOE death-magic effect in large areas that track over and through light cover. Combined with its expansive ranged AOE attacks, many of which persist for a long time, allows it to close rapidly and attack again even as you dodge, meaning that ranged attacks are difficult to time. But because of those AOE and magic damage effects, fighting the Birds like the gargoyles (up close under the legs) is also a risky proposition. They can easily hit you while you're mounted, and they have relatively high HP.
For the Central Mountaintop of Giants one, at least, the terrain makes all the difference. To the right side of the arena there's a sort of valley that you can move to the top and bottom of to exploit the horizontal limits to his relatively flat hit-boxes. If he's either significantly above or below you, most of the physical components of his attacks miss, making dealing with any AOE much easier and giving you time to get in hits. It also can help with some of his AOE ranged attacks, like the Black Pinion barrage. If you get a good summon out before you engage, take it slow, and quickly move to keep him on a different level from you, this becomes a significantly easier fight.
Death Rite Bird Attacks & Counters
|Overhead Smash||The Death Rite Bird slams its rod in an overhead strike in front of it. It can also perform this move from a jump/flight.||Dodge sideways.|
|Flying Sweep||The Death Rite Bird flies backwards, before charging and sweeping its rod to attack its target.||Dodge forward. It can be easily dodged by running towards it and then dodging.|
|Low Sweep||The Death Rite Bird pulls its rod to the opposite shoulder, charges up for a second and then unleashes a low sweep in a wide arc in front of it. It can combo this into a second sweep in the opposite direction, finishing off with an overhead smash.||This attack can be dodged through as the bird's weapon swings across. Otherwise, maintain distance or dodge backwards.|
|Stab||The Death Rite Bird rears back with its rod held in the opposite shoulder and then stabs forward quickly.||Pay attention to how it holds the weapon. Dodge sideways.|
|Ghostflame Ignition||The Death Rite Bird summons a ghostly ball of fire with its rod. Depending on the distance, it will execute one of two moves. If the target is far away, it swing its rod horizontally, sending a trail of ghostflame towards the target. If it is within melee range, it will slam the rod down, causing a devastating explosion.||Avoid the ghostflame trail by dodging to the side. The explosion can be dodged by rolling forwards.|
|Peck||The Death Rite Bird pecks downward once or twice, dealing moderate damage.||Block or dodge backwards.|
|Spearcall Ritual||The Death Rite Bird disengages by flying away from its target. It then releases dozens of spears to rain down upon its target. More spears land in a denser formation closest to the bird and at the beginning of the attack, while they are more spread apart the further away you are and towards the end of the attack.||Sprint away from the telegraphed landing spots. These look like glowing white circles on the ground. Alternatively block with shield for potentially manageable chip damage.|
|Ancient Death Rancor||The Death Rite Bird releases dozens of its black flame-engulfed feathers, sending them flying towards its target. The feathers have decent tracking and the bird usually uses this move following the Spearcall Ritual.||Sprint sideways and dodge any incoming feathers that happen to be in your path. Getting hit by any feathers can stagger you, causing you to get hit by subsequent feathers.|
|Explosive Ghostflame||The Death Rite Bird holds its rod upright, charging it with ghostflame. It then slams the weapon into the ground, releasing the flames in a large radius around it. This attack leaves trails of fire on the ground, dealing damage when stood in.||Maintain a medium distance away from the bird and then watch out for patches of flame on the ground. Ranged players can use the charge-up time to get a few free hits in.|
|Leaping Grab||The Death Rite Bird leaps back and releases a screech, before quickly lunging forward. If it lands, it grabs you and pecks you repeatedly on the ground.||Quickly dodge out of the way once you see it scream.|
|Death Screech||Releases a scream up to two times, dealing small amounts of damage and building up Death Blight.||Move Away.|
Death Rite Bird Lore, Notes & Other Trivia
- The Ravenmount Assassins worship these creatures, modeling their armor after them.
Death Rite Bird Image Gallery