|Location||Flame Peak,Mountaintops of the Giants|
Mountaintops of the Giants:
|HP||≈ 43,263 (Legend)|
Fire Giant is a Boss in Elden Ring. This Elden Ring Fire Giant Guide features boss locations, tips, strategies and videos on how to defeat the Fire Giant easily, as well as boss stats and lore for the Fire Giant.
The Fire Giant, the last known survivor of the War against the Giants, is a massive humanoid with a face on its chest, and is found in the Mountaintops of the Giants. The Fire Giants worshipped the One-Eyed/Fell God and was one of the few factions Queen Marika waged war on. The Golden Order feared the 'flame of ruin' capable of burning down the Erdtree found within their forge, and so it is believed that Marika slew their god and cursed the last of the Fire Giants to guard the forge for eternity.
This is NOT an optional boss as players MUST defeat this foe in order to advance to the Forge of the Giants. The Fire Giant deals massive amounts of Fire Damage, so equipping and consuming Equipment and Items that boost your Fire resistance will help if you're struggling with this fight. He drops the Remembrance of the Fire Giant when defeated.
Bosses are unique and challenging Enemies that can be encountered all over the Lands Between. Legend bosses drop their own unique Remembrance capable of being transformed into powerful Weapons, Spells, Ashes of War, and Talismans for the player.
The Fire Giant is a survivor of the War against the Giants. Upon realizing the flames of their forge would never die, Queen Marika marked him with a curse.
"O trifling giant, mayest thou tend thy flame for eternity."
Elden Ring Fire Giant Boss
Fire Giant is a Legend Boss found in Mountaintops of the Giants.
- This boss is NOT optional.
- This is a Legend type Boss.
- Closest Site of Grace: Foot of the Forge. [Map Link]
- Multiplayer is Allowed
- Spirit ashes can be summoned for this boss.
- Torrent is allowed for this fight as long as there are no NPC/Player summons.
- NPC Summons: Iron Fist Alexander can be summoned to help
Elden Ring Fire Giant Location
Fire Giant Combat Information
- Health: NG (43,263), NG+ (43,609), NG++ (47970), NG+3 (50150), NG+4 (52331), NG+5 (56692), NG+6 (58872), NG+7 (61053)
- In NG, Phase 2 triggers after 22,898 HP is dealt
- Fire Giant loses -10% of his HP at the beginning of phase 2.
- Defenses does not change during phases, but hitting weak spot is far more difficult during 2nd phase.
- Weak spot: Wounded Leg (1st phase), wrists and eye (2nd phase)
- Deals Strike Damage and Fire Damage.
- Can be poise broken (whole fight) with a chance to perform a riposte (2nd phase). Riposte leaves player in an non-optimal position
- Poise: 120.
The absorption numbers are the % of your damage that gets blocked. For example, if an absorption is 60, 40% of that damage by that type will go through and 60% is absorbed. Bigger number = less damage. An absorption of 100 means no damage goes through, and an absorption of -100 means the enemy takes 2x damage from that source. An absorption of 0 means that the enemy will suffer the normal amount of damage.
The resistance numbers are the buildup amount to trigger it. For example, if a resistance is 100 you must deal 100 points of whatever aux buildup to trigger it. Note that these go down over time, and increase each time the effect procs.
Elden Ring Fire Giant Boss Guide
Fire Giant Boss Video Guide
[video coming soon]
Fire Giant Fight Strategy
The Best Tips for Fire Giant:
- Use the Black Knife Tiche or Mimic Tear Ashes Summons. Avoid low health group summons like the wolves, as he can cleave them down with ease
- Alternatively, summon Alexander as his attacks are very powerful in terms of breaking Giant's poise.
- Use the Rotten Breath/Ekzykes's Decay Incantation
- Bring ?? Item
- Fire giant is resistant to bleed but not immune, making weapons that inflict bleed effective - especially with Giant large healthbar. Antspur Rapier with Ash of War: Seppuku and imbued with poison will inflict poison, Scarlet Rot, and bleed, enhanced further with items such as Mushroom Crown, Lord of Blood's Exultation, and Kindred of Rot's Exultation.
- During the second phase, the incantation Swarm of Flies can be used to inflict bleed during openings when the boss halts, which can be enhanced with items such as Radagon Icon, Faithful's Canvas Talisman, and Lord of Blood's Exultation.
Use Torrent to close the initial distance, using the dismount to i-frame through the giants first attack. Do not stay on Torrent in the first phase; the fire giant will constantly use swipe and jump attacks that require using I-frames to dodge, which is not possible using torrent. You can use him to safely close the distance again if needed, dismount i-framing through his attacks.
During this phase, the giant is somewhat mobile, and will roll to build distance if you get behind or below him for too long.
Aim for his left leg, which is wrapped in rope. Once this breaks, it reveals a weak spot. He will pause for a moment when it does, so take the opportunity to get in some free damage.
Once broken, he will always roll away. He now gains 2 new attacks:
- A slow moving orb, which explodes once it gets close, or after a period of time. Bait the explosion, and roll away quickly from the area, as it leaves behind a field of fire. You can use Torrent to make this easier, but be wary of doing this within range of his plate swings
- The second is a launched fireball, which is only a concern if he rolls too far away. Simply watch for the launch, and dodge.
For the second phase of the boss, his weakspot moves to his left forearm. However, this is a very dangerous place to be so hop on torrent and stick to his backside, as most of his attacks are to the front. Be wary of the sides as he will roll to reposition.
The boss can be staggered, allowing you to stab his eye for massive damage. Be cautious with this however, as he doesn't stay down for long, and being in front leaves you vulnerable.
There are three attacks to be concerned about here:
- The slow fire orb from the first phase, however he now spawns them in pairs.
- His scream fire attack; run far away as this attack will spawn heavily-damaging fire spots underneath him.
- He will rear up, and launch volcanic rocks into the air. Stay on Torrent, and build distance whilst dodging.
This boss has a lot of hp, so be patient and keep an eye on your stamina and torrent's health.
Magic and Ranged Users
The tactics for ranged users are essentially the same as melee. It's recommended to stay close to the fire giant as this eliminates the launched fireball attack from consideration.
When you take on the Fire Giant as a sorcerer, it is best to have a particularly quick-casting, hard-hitting spell on hand (such as Stars of Ruin). You're not going to have to worry about burning through all of your FP, because like fighting a troll or the giant stone sentinels, the Fire Giant is extremely vulnerable to attacks on his weak points and we're particularly good at hitting them. Thanks to this, he can, and will, fold like a wet noodle with a little work. Some things that are extremely important to take into consideration:
- As with melee users, it is best to avoid using your horse. Fire Giant deals an insanely high amount of damage with all attacks, and us sorcerers typically will not survive being hit by him. Fortunately, he is easy to dodge and his attacks are highly telegraphed.
- If you have Black Knife Tiche at +6 or higher, she is definitely recommended. During phase one, Fire Giant is very mobile and has a tendency to roll away from you so you will have to close the distance. Tiche is extremely aggressive and very fast, but also good at dodging. She will almost always pull aggro when the giant rolls away from you which will allow you time to reposition and start hitting him with your spells again.
- If you can stay under or even behind him in phase one this can be very useful. If you cannot, stay at least far enough back that you can always see his weird disk as that will be the best hint as to what attack he is using next.
- When phase two begins you'll be sitting a lot better than you were in phase one. It might take a try or two to get used to what he has going on, but once you do you can take advantage of his new move set. For one, he becomes almost entirely stationary, and switches to a lot of ranged attacks. Some may suggest staying close to avoid his fireball, but keeping a little distance to bait out his fireball is not a bad idea as it is extremely easy to dodge.
- He may also use his big fire pillar AoE attack which is basically free real estate for us as we can hit him with impunity while he uses it.
- The biggest threats from him are his ice wave attack as the animation can be easily confused for one of his sweep attacks, and the slow moving fireball he uses. It will follow you around for quite a while and just serves to be a nuisance.
The Fire Giant is scary. He's been getting a bad rep as extremely dangerous and very difficult. Go into it expecting to lose 5-10 times, and unless you get really lucky right away take the time to learn his attacks and then just dodge him and laugh at him as he struggles to deal with you and your glorious sorceries. He's far easier than he looks at first so don't fall to the hype!
Fire Giant Attacks & Counters
|Avalanche||The giant places the plate vertically in the ground, and launches snow at the player||Dodge as the snow gets close, or get behind him before it launches. If used when approaching on horse, use dismount I-frames to avoid the attack.||1|
|Jump-smash||The giant jumps in the air, and slams the plate into the ground||Dodge as the plate lands, using i-frames to avoid damage||1|
|Plate Swing||The giant swings the plate at the player. He may do a follow up swing||Dodge through the plate||1|
|Stomp||The giant stomps his foot, dealing high damage and stun.||Dodge as the foot lands||1|
|Roll||The giant quickly rolls forward to reposition itself.||Behind the giant is safe, otherwise, dodge through it.||1&2|
|Giantsflame, Take Thee||The giant launches a fast moving fire projectile at the player. In phase 2, he will launch two at once.||Dodge as soon as the projectile leaves his hand. Torrent can easily dodge this.||1&2|
|Flame of the Fell God||Akin to the incantation, the giant spawns a slow moving orb that tracks the player. Once it gets in range, it explodes for massive damage, and leaves a field of fire. He spawns them in pairs in phase 2||Bait the explosion if possible, and roll quickly away to avoid the field of fire||1&2|
|Burn, O Flame!||The giant lets out a roar, and ignites his hands, before slamming them into the ground, spawning fire pillars in his vicinity||Run away, or tuck in close and watch for the patches spawning||1&2|
|Flame, Fall Upon Them||The giant’s mouth releases a mighty roar, spewing out explosive rocks from its mouth. These rocks linger on the ground before exploding.||Run away, or get behind it to punish.||2|
|Surge, O Flame!||The giant’s mouth ignites, releasing a stream of fire in front of it.||Run Away or get behind it||2|
|Swipe||The giant swipes from either left or right with his hand at anyone in front of him||Stay behind the giant, or roll through his hand||2|
Fire Giant Lore, Notes & Other Trivia
- Voice Actor: Shaun Dooley
- Alexander summon for this fight is unique, as his sign is inside boss fight arena.
- During first phase, there is an additional model of Fire Giant. This model is swapped with the first one during phase transition (sometimes at the beginning of 2nd phase player can hear the sound similar to one, which can be heard during Giant death).
- At one point during Elden Ring’s post-launch, there was a bug related to Status Effects. If the player manage to get to 2nd phase via Poison, Scarlet Rot, Hemorrhage or Frostbite, it's effect would be multiplied in 2nd phase. What could even "skip" the 2nd phase.
- The Trolls are said to have been descendants of the Giants, and have since betrayed them during the war. Some have speculated that the gaping holes in the Troll’s midsection may have been where the Fell God resided, and have since been excised when they switched sides.
Phase 2 transition cutscene:
Fire Giant Image Gallery