|Location||Stormveil Castle Entrance|
|Role||NPC and Merchant|
|Voiced by||Ben Fox|
Gatekeeper Gostoc Location in Elden Ring
- Gatekeeper Gostoc can be found by the entrance of Stormveil Castle, in the room next to the main gate into the castle. Elden Ring Interactive Map Link.
- After defeating Godrick, Gostoc moves to the Godrick the Grafted Site of Grace, stomping on his remains.
- If defeated, drops:
Gatekeeper Gostoc Questline: How to complete Gatekeeper Gostoc's Quest
- Gatekeeper Gostoc advises you to avoid entering the castle using the main gate because he says it's tightly guarded. He suggests you to try the opening through the other way, claiming that guards don't know about that entrance. You will be given the choice to accept or reject his suggestion.
- If you accept the offer, he will wish you luck and send you on your way to the side path.
- If you reject the offer, he will seemingly respect your decision and open the gate for you.
- Once you have obtained the Rusty Key or defeated Godrick, he will start to provide merchant services.
- Gostoc at first may seem to want to help the player, although in a suspicious manner. This is however just a facade. He will actually steal 30% of your runes every time you die in the castle, even if you enter it through the main gate.
- After passing through specific trigger points, Gostoc will appear in certain locations behind the player. Gostoc can be found on a ruined watchtower while traversing through the side path, inside the rampart tower, and on the castle chapel roof, above Sorcerer Rogier. He will give you a Grace Mimic the first time you speak to him at one of these locations. He will not appear at them if you already opened the main gate of the castle.
- When you enter a dark room containing the Rusty Key, the door will close behind you and you can hear Gostoc's laugh. This will leave you alone with a dangerous Banished Knight.
- If you kill Gostoc beforehand, you won't be locked into the room containing the Rusty Key.
- After defeating Godrick, Gostoc will move to the boss room and begin stomping on the corpse, cursing Godrick for treating him badly. As of 1.04 he continues to be a merchant.
- Killing Gostoc will not lock you out of Nepheli Loux and Kenneth Haight's quest as it can still be completed without him, but you will miss out on the Ancient Dragon Smithing Stone and won't be able to buy it from the Twin Maiden Husks even if you gave them his bell bearing.
- Once Nepheli Loux has been given The Stormhawk King, Kenneth Haight has regained control of his fort and Morgott has been defeated then Gostoc and the other two NPCs will move the Godrick's Throne Room. At this point Gostoc re-opens his shop and has a new item of an Ancient Dragon Smithing Stone
Elden Ring Gatekeeper Gostoc Shop
Gatekeeper Gostoc will open his store after you obtained the Rusty Key from Stormveil Castle.
|Item Name||Item Type||Purchase Value||Stock|
|Silver-Pickled Fowl Foot||Consumable||2000||3|
|Furlcalling Finger Remedy||Consumable||1000||4|
|Festering Bloody Finger||Consumable||1000||2|
|Great Arrow||Arrows and Bolts||300||5|
|Ballista Bolt||Arrows and Bolts||300||5|
|Ancient Dragon Smithing Stone||Upgrade Materials||20000||1|
Dialogue in Elden Ring: Gatekeeper Gostoc
- "You're Tarnished, aren't you?
I would advise against taking the main gate into the castle.
It's tightly guarded by hardened old hands.
Try the opening right here.
The guards don't know about it.
You'll breach the castle undetected."
Answering with "Very Well"
- "Yes, that's the spirit...You're just the kind of Tarnished that I like. I pray for your success."
- I've come into some fine goods. Only, it turns out I can't use a one of them. Perhaps you'd like to take them off my hands?
When discovered by the player after surviving the trap with the Banished Knight, above the cliff behind the Stormveil Cliffside Site of Grace
- Oh, oh, you...
Oh, great, I'm glad you're here. Just a small reward, I was saving it for you. Please, its all yours.
- *Presents 1x Grace Mimic to the player*
When spoken to again at this point
- Good, now let's be on our way, shall we? Wouldn't want the guards to spot you.
When spoken to once again at this point.
- Hop along, will you? What'll happen if the guards catch you strutting about?.
If the player dies to the trap, Gostoc will not appear in this spot after reviving. Instead, his encounter dialogue from this event will take place in another location.
The Death of Godrick
What a pathetic excuse for a Lord you were. Craven to the bone. Pushing me about like that. And after all that grafting? Where did that get you? Look down on me, would you? Godrick? You filthy slug. Feel it! Feel it! Feel my bloody wrath!
Oh...hello there. This weasel was...Godrick was always looking down on me. He got what he bloody deserved, thanks to you. I tell you though, what goes around comes around. He had an ugly heart, an uglier countenance, and me the ugliest of ends, eh. He he he he he...Now, I supposed I'm free. I can do whatever takes my fancy...Can't I, mate?
- "Use that opening to breach the castle. The guards haven't a clue about it. You'll slip right inside undetected."
- "Blast, what's it to you! Step back, you wretched Tarnished!"
- (On player kill) "Oh, don't worry, I've got big plans for what's left of you..."
- "Damn it all. Why is it always me? What did I do to deserve..."
When Killed after Godrick is dead
- "But I'm free..."
"I can do what I like"
When Gostoc kills the player after Godrick is dead
- "Ha, do you feel it..."
"Do you feel my bloody wrath?"
- "Ah, you, is it? Haven't seen your mug in quite some time.
As you can see, I'm the new Lady's attendant.
Freedom? Wasn't worth squat. B-besides, I like it 'round 'ere...
Lady Nepheli's still fair of heart and countenance..."
- "Still, I have the Lady's trust.
...So I can loot all the corpses I like.
I'll let you take a look at the goods, if you fancy."
- "Ah, back again, are we? Curious one, you are.
Well then, what are you after?"
Elden Ring Notes & Trivia for Gatekeeper Gostoc
- Gostoc being found hiding at difficult to access locations around the castle suggests he is stalking you to collect your runes after you die. He also presumably collects his goods from corpses in the fortress.
- Cut dialogue suggested that he is the son of Godrick, and that there was an option to crown him as Ruler of Stormveil, instead of Nepheli. Should he received the crown in his cut questline, he would follow Godrick's footsteps and begin grafting himself.
- Killing the Banished Knight in the dark room before being locked in by Gostoc will result in him not closing the door behind you once you do enter, although you will still hear him laughing behind you.
- Gatekeeper Gostoc is missing his left hand. Removal of one or both hands was a historical punishment for stealing. His arm may have also been taken for Grafting.
- The graveyard after the fight with Godrick counts as castle grounds and he will steal your runes here as well.