Godfrey, First Elden Lord
|Location||Leyndell, Ashen Capital|
|HP||≈ 21,903 (Legend)|
Godfrey, First Elden Lord (1st phase)/Hoarah Loux, Warrior (2nd phase) is a Boss in Elden Ring. This page pertains to the physical form of Godfrey, First Elden Lord who is found in Leyndell, Ashen Capital, an instance of the Royal Capital which is accessible only after making significant progress in the story. This guide features boss locations, tips, strategies and videos on how to defeat Godfrey easily, as well as boss stats and lore for Godfrey.
Godfrey was Queen Marika's first consort, and thus the first Elden Lord of the Lands Between. Before earning this title however, he was known as Hoarah Loux, the chieftain of the badlands and a bloodthirsty warrior. Godfrey took the Beast Regent Serosh upon his back after committing to his role as a Lord in order to suppress his violent urges. After fighting countless wars, Marika deprived him and his warriors of their grace, marking them as the first Tarnished.
This is NOT an optional boss, as players MUST defeat it to advance in Elden Ring. After being brought down to about 40% health, the Beast Regent Serosh will materialize, only for Godfrey to slay it, shedding his armor and unleashing his bloodthirsty nature, fighting as Hoarah Loux, Warrior. His health does not regenerate back up to full after this phase transition. He drops the Remembrance of Hoarah Loux when defeated.
Bosses are unique and challenging Enemies that can be encountered all over the Lands Between. Legend bosses drop their own unique Remembrance capable of being transformed into powerful Weapons, Spells, Ashes of War, and Talismans for the player.
Godfrey was earlier encounter in a spectral form, using a not broken Axe of Godfrey. See Godfrey, First Elden Lord (Golden Shade) for more information
Elden Ring Godfrey, First Elden Lord Boss
Godfrey, First Elden Lord is a boss found in Leyndell, Ashen Capital.
- This is NOT an optional boss
- Godfrey, First Elden Lord is a Legend-class Boss
- Closest Site of Grace: Queen's Bedchamber
- Multiplayer is allowed for this boss.
- You can summon spirits against this Boss
- NPC Summons: NPC Nepheli Loux and Shabriri can be summoned for this fight. Both summon signs are outside the boss arena. You can use both summons in the same fight.
- Nepheli Loux is available if you finish her questline, allowing her to get crowned as ruler of Limgrave at Stormveil Castle.
- Shabriri is available if you have come into contact with the Three Fingers at the Frenzied Flame Proscription. He becomes unavailable if you then use Miquella's Needle to remove the influence of the Frenzied Flame.
Elden Ring Godfrey, First Elden Lord Location
Godfrey, First Elden Lord / Hoarah Loux is encountered in Leyndell, Ashen Capital, after the capital falls to ruin. This is after completing Crumbling Farum Azula. The boss is located in the chamber atop the long set of stairs southeast of the Queen's Bedchamber Site of Grace where Morgott was previously fought. [Map Link]
Godfrey, First Elden Lord Combat Information
- Health: 21,903 HP
- Phase 2 triggers after 11,831 HP is dealt
- New Game Health: NG+ (22,232), NG++ (??), NG+3 (??), NG+4 (??), NG+5 (??), NG+6 (??), NG+7 (??)
- Phase transition affects his resistances - in addition, he is more aggresive during 2nd phase.
- Additionally, all Status Effects are cured.
- During 1st phase, Godfrey is immune to debuff caused by Blade of Death (Black Knife skill)
- Skill saps his HP, but does not reduce his max HP.
- Deals Standard Damage and Strike Damage (2nd phase).
- Parriable: No
- Can have his Stance broken, which allows for a critical attack (both phases). Stance: 120.
- His stance do not regenerate during phase transition
- If stance is broken by hit that triggers phase transition, nothing will happen and his stance will regenerate.
Values in brackets correspond to Phase 2.
The absorption numbers are the % of your damage that gets blocked. For example, if an absorption is 60, 40% of that damage by that type will go through and 60% is absorbed. Bigger number = less damage. An absorption of 100 means no damage goes through, and a resistance of -100 mean the enemy takes 2x damage from that source. 0 means damage goes pretty much as is.
Values in brackets correspond to Phase 2.
The resistance numbers are the buildup amount to trigger it. For example, if a resistance is 100 you must deal 100 points of whatever aux buildup to trigger it. Note that these go down over time, and increase each time the effect procs.
Elden Ring Godfrey, First Elden Lord Boss Guide
Godfrey, First Elden Lord Boss Video Guide
[video coming soon]
Godfrey, First Elden Lord Fight Strategy
The Best Tips for Godfrey, First Elden Lord:
- Mainly deals Standard Damage, so prioritize defence towards that type of damage.
- No matter the build, during phase 1 it is important to keep close. He will otherwise dash towards you and Stomp, covering the entire area in AoE.
- In phase 2, recognize his grapple patterns.
- Most stomp attacks which cause a shockwave attack are more easily jumped over, than rolled through
As one of the easier late game bosses, Godfrey is not an overly complicated fight. He hits extremely hard, but is relatively slow and telegraphs his moves way ahead of time. Given you have enough stamina, you can block most of his axe swings in phase 1, although dodging them should be your priority.
Most of his stomp moves can be avoided simply by jumping as soon as you see him lower his leg.
The regular stomp travels in a cone in front of him, leaving him briefly vulnerable to attacks. Avoid being caught on the wider side of the cone.
Godfrey can empower his stomps. He will stand at a distance and raise his axe overhead, slowly lifting his legs. He will have a red aura while the effect lasts. Until it dissipates, the shockwaves from his stomp attacks will cover the entire arena.
Once Godfrey is brought down to about 50% HP, a cutscene will play where he sheds his armor, slays his regent Serosh, and unveils his true form as Hoarah Loux, Warrior.
As Hoarah Loux, Godfrey ditches his axe in favor of hand-to-hand grappling. The key to beating him is recognizing the patterns for his grapple moves and dodging them accordingly, as they might one-hit players with low Vigor and will go through a shield block. The best openings to damage him are after he ends an attack chain, as well as after a leap attacks.
Thankfully, emerging as Hoarah Loux does not refill his health bar, so you only have to deal with the final half.
Strategy Writeup for Melee Users
Magic and Ranged Users
At the beginning of the fight, Godfrey will approach the player calmly, leaving you ample time to stage your opening move. Inflicting Frostbite is a good call, since his overall resistance are low, especially during 2nd part of the fight
Sorcery users can start the fight with Terra Magica, followed by Rennala's Full Moon. Comet Azur can be risky, as Godfrey might open with a jump attack if the player isn't in range. Speed is more important than damage here, especially in phase 2, so good choices would be Comet/Glintstone Cometshard or Glintstone Icecrag.
As for Incantations, you can start the first phase with Borealis's Mist. This will provoke the First Elden Lord to perform an attack, often a stomp, but you should be safe during casting the incantation. It might be worth trying the same in the second phase, although Hoarah Loux's attack patterns makes this risky.
During the second half of each phase, a fast spell like Lightning Spear is the best choice to chip away his health. However, Hoarah Loux may unintentionally avoid few casts, so the best opening is his jump before the massive explosion on impact.
Godfrey, First Elden Lord Attacks & Counters
|Godfrey, First Elden Lord|
|Axe Toss||Leaps upwards, tossing his axe a short distance forward before quickly chasing after it.||Run towards and under him to avoid the axe and subsequent slam, or dodge.|
|Plunging Axe||Leaps upwards, then plunges the haft of his axe into the ground.||Dodge as he lands on the ground.|
|Triple Axe Combo||Swings to his right, then to his left, following up with a final slash to the left.||Dodge towards the direction each attack is coming from.|
|Overhead Smash||Performs a quick overhead smash with his axe, often followed by other moves, most commonly a 360° spin and a subsequent second overhead smash.||Dodge to the side.|
|Fissure||Briefly whirls his axe above his head before crashing it into the ground, pushing it down further after a brief delay. This creates a narrow fissure that spans the whole length of the arena. The released energy burst deals immense damage.||Move out of the fissure immediately (to the side).|
|Stomp||Raises one leg for a powerful stomp, sending a shockwave that causes a cone of rocks to burst from the ground in front of him. Often combos this with other moves.||Jump as his foot lands or dodge the narrowest part of the cone at melee range.|
|Regal Roar||Raises his axe overhead with both hands, lifting right leg, charging up with a red aura. Then stomps the ground, releasing a shockwave spanning almost the entire arena in all directions.
As long as his aura is active, all his stomps will have an arena-wide radius.
|Jump as his foot lands. Avoid follow-up combos with additional jumps.|
|Earth Shattering Stomp||Just as in phase 1, but additionally, he's smashing the ground with both hands, sending two shockwaves consecutively.||Jump as his leg hits the ground, then avoid follow-up combos with additional jumps.|
|Power Bomb||Runs towards his target with his arms swinging high, attempting to grab them. If the attack connects, they are tossed into the air and Hoarah Loux leaps after them, slamming them back down for immense damage. He will sometimes perform a running leap to start off the move, which will be much faster than his regular running animation.||Time your dodge well and dodge to the side.|
|Running Power Bomb||Dashes towards his target with his arms crossed above his chest, performing a claw strike. If the attack connects, they are sent flying diagonally up and forward, after which Hoarah Loux leaps after them to slam them to the ground.||Can be dodged just like Power Bomb, of which this is an alternate version with slightly higher damage.|
|Hoarah Loux's Earthshaker||
A three-step move: First a roar that knocks targets down if it connects, directly followed by a leap. Upon impact, he slams his fist into the ground, creating a large shockwave. Finally, he plunges both arms into the ground, pulling them back out after a short delay. This causes energy to erupt from the ground in several places.
Maintain distance during roar, time a dodge for the slam. As he is plunging his arms into the ground, clear the area of eruption. When in safe zone, a long-range attack can be performed with ease.
|Kick||A powerful kick upwards that knocks players down.||Can easily be sidestepped or dodged due to its narrow hitbox.|
|Choke Slam||Winds up his right arm, then after a short delay attempts to grab his target. If the grab connects, he lifts them overhead with one hand and slams them back down.||Dodge backwards or to the side to avoid the grab.
This attack is often used after he knocked the player down with his kick, while they are immune to be grabbed.
|Claw Barrage||Performs two quick swipes with his claws, followed by a delayed uppercut with his left. He will sometimes follow this up with a Choke Slam.||Block; or dodge in the direction each attack comes from.|
|Leg sweep||Low position leg sweep, performed mainly after other leg attacks||Jump or back away|
|Hoarah Loux's Rage||
After lowering health to about 20% of max HP, Hoarah enters a rage mode in which he at start shouts with his right leg up and then attacks the ground 2 times. Each attack unleashes a shockwave, that covers whole area (like Regal Roar).
Rage lasts till his/Tarnished death and empowers stomp attacks, just like Regal Roar in 1st phase.
|Jump to avoid shockwave|
Godfrey, First Elden Lord Lore, Notes & Other Trivia
- At the beginning of the fight, Godfrey is seen cradling the corpse of his son Morgott, slowly dissipating into golden dust. His other sons are Mohg and Godwyn.
- Serosh is seen biting into Godfrey’s shoulder during the fight. This is synonymous with him acting as a sort of limiter for his true nature.
- Player will be teleported to the center of the arena for phase 2 only if they don't finish the first phase with a critical strike.
- Lore suggests that the powerful warrior Hoarah Loux was chosen by Queen Marika as her consort, making him the First Elden Lord. Due to this, he took the Beast Regent Serosh upon his back, taming his bloodthirsty and wild nature, and taking on the name of Godfrey.
After winning many wars for the Erdtree, he was robbed of his grace, and was banished from the Lands Between, becoming the first Tarnished.
- His Golden Shade variant has a two-headed axe, while Godfrey only has half of the axe head left.
- Serosh has two model meshes, with the brighter one being used for cutscenes. The mesh's name referred to as “Marikesu,” likely related to Maliketh.
- Godfrey immunity to Blade of Death is unique in Elden Ring. However, it is unknown whenever it there is a lore explanation for this or it is a glitch caused by the way this fight was constructed.
- Bug: If Tarnished is grabbed during an action like casting a spell, it's model may act in a weird way.
- During first phase there is Hoarah Loux model under boss fight arena.
- In 1.00, both 1st and 2nd phases has separate healthbars.
- Hoarah Loux's Earthshaker attack lacks veins on the ground in 1.00 version of the game.
It's been a long while, Morgott.
Long and hard didst thou fight.
Spurned by the grace of gold.
Be assured, the Elden Ring
resteth close at hand.
Alas, I am returned.
To be granted audience once more.
Upon my name as Godfrey,
The first Elden Lord!
That will be all.
Thou didst me good service, Serosh.
I've Given thee courtesy enough.
Now I fight as Hoarah Loux!
(Defeating player in Phase 1)
Tarnished Warrior. 'Twas nobly fought.
(Defeating player in Phase 2)
A crown is warranted with strength!
Thy strength befits a crown.