Mountaintops of the Giants
Caelid : 14,379
Mountaintop : 9,772
Altus Plateau : 7,390
Godskin Apostle is a Boss in Elden Ring. Godskin Apostles are powerful and agile humanoids wielding unique twinblades and black flame incantations. They can be encountered in multiple locations. These are optional bosses as players are not required to defeat them to advance in Elden Ring but they do provide useful items as well as Runes.
The apostles, once said to serve Destined Death, are wielders of the god-slaying black flame. But after their defeat by Maliketh, the Black Blade, the source of their power was sealed away.
Elden Ring Godskin Apostle Boss
Godskin Apostles are Great Enemies found in various locations.
- Godskin Apostle met at Crumbling Farum Azula is not optional, no matter the ending desired.
- Remaining encounters are optional.
- Godskin Apostle is a Great Enemy-class Boss
- Closest Site of Grace: Various
- There is Stake of Marika near location of the boss (Atlus Plateau only)
- Multiplayer is allowed for this boss (all encounters)
- Spirit Summons are available for this boss (all encounters)
- NPC Summons: Millicent. (Altus Plateau), Recusant Bernahl (Crumbling Farum Azula)
- Millicent - Advance in her questline till you defeat Godskin Apostle in Dominula Windmill Village, and her summon sign will be available north of the Statue of Marika in the Forbidden Lands.
- Recusant Bernahl - Summon sign is near entrance to boss fight arena. This applies to both Dragon Temple Transept and Dragon Temple sites of grace.
Elden Ring Godskin Apostle Location
Godskin Apostle can be found in various locations:
- Altus Plateau: Found by going northeast through Windmill Village. After you ascend all the way to the top, he will be waiting near a windmill. Elden Ring Map Link.
- Caelid: Found at the basement of the Divine Tower of Caelid. See the tower's page for details on how to reach as it requires some platforming. [Elden Ring Map Link]
- Mountaintops of the Giants: Fought in spectral form in a consecutive boss encounter with a Godskin Noble inside the Spiritcaller's Cave. The Apostle is fought first, and then the Noble. Only counts as one boss and gives rewards once. [Elden Ring Map Link]
- Crumbling Farum Azula: This time the Apostle is encountered in physical form alongside with Godskin Noble as usual, just that this time they both attack you simultaneously in a single boss fight called Godskin Duo. [Elden Ring Map Link]
Godskin Apostle Combat Information
- Health: NG (??), NG+ (??), NG++ (??), NG+3 (??), NG+4 (??), NG+5 (??), NG+6 (??), NG+7 (??)
- Defenses do not change between phases - a firebomb will do the same damage in phase 1 as in phase 2.
- Deals Slash Damage, Pierce Damage and Fire Damage.
- Parriable: Yes - first parry stuns him for second (without chance for critical strike), second one allows for critical strike. This applies to attacks with Peeler, that does not stretch him.
- Can be poise broken, which allows for a critical attack.
The absorption numbers are the % of your damage that gets blocked. For example if an absorption is 60. 40% of that damage by that type will go through and 60% is absorbed. Bigger number= less damage. An absorption of 100 means no damage goes through, and a resistance of -100 mean the enemy takes 2x damage from that source. 0 means damage goes pretty much as is.
The resistance numbers is the buildup amount to trigger it. For example if a resistance is 100 you must deal 100 points of whatever aux buildup to trigger it. Note that these go down over time, and increase each time the effect procs.
Elden Ring Godskin Apostle Boss Guide
Godskin Apostle Boss Video Guide
[video coming soon]
Godskin Apostle Fight Strategy
The Best Tips for Godskin Apostle:
- Use sleep pots with a strong spirit summon such as Lhutel the Headless +4 to bait the Apostle to provide an opening for the pot to land. If the pot is a direct hit and he stays in the cloud, 1 pot will put him to sleep. If he exits the cloud, a second pot will put him to sleep (doesn't work with online players summoned). Use a bleed weapon with the BloodFlame enchantment, and land a 3x charged combo attack when he is sleeping to do more damage/ bleed build up than performing a critical hit would do. Do this a few times and the fight is done.
- Maintain a medium distance from him at all times
- Use Glintstone Stars, Glintblade Phalanx or any multi-hit spells that deal Magic damage to break his poise
The Godskin Apostle is a powerful boss equipped with a twinblade that has a sickle-end for slashing and a blade-end for thrusting and stabbing. He utilizes Black Flame spells similar to the monks earlier in the tower. When fighting this boss, you want to maintain a medium distance to avoid many of his attacks and only close in during openings. His melee attacks have a bit of weight to them and he does short wind-ups before attacking, similar to but not to the same extent as Margit at Stormveil.
Some notable attack windows are when he performs his Stab & Slash; he has a moderate recovery time after the second attack in which you can safely get one or two hits in. Another one is his Jumping Overhead Slash which has a slightly longer recovery than other attacks and can guarantee 2 hits for you. These two attacks are relatively easy to dodge. The attacks you should watch out for are his Black Flame as it travels quite quickly, you should dodge as soon as you see the casting rune; and his Stab & Pull which hits twice for massive damage. Another move he may use is the Spinning Weapon in which he twirls his blade in front of him as he advances forward. Maintain your distance or dodge through and behind him.
When his HP is lowered to 60%, he will float upwards briefly and then slam down, creating a shockwave around him, signifying his second phase. Get away from him when you see him float. From this point, he can unlatch the skin of his upper torso from the rest of his body and fling it around to greatly extend his reach as well as unlock new abilities. His notable attack windows during this phase is when he uses the Flight variant of Spinning Weapon, in which he flings his upper torso outwards while spinning his weapon. His lower body remains stationary and if you can dodge through his weapon, he will be vulnerable to attack from his elongated abdomen to his legs for the duration of the attack as his torso is locked in the animation.
He will also frequently use a Plunging Blade & Sweep move where he flings his torso upwards and then slams down with his weapon, followed by a very wide sweeping slash. Both hits are easy to read and can be outranged or dodged and he is vulnerable for a couple of seconds after the sweep. Lastly, he can perform a Black Flame Whirlwind attack where he twirls his weapon in place, creating a whirlwind extending outwards all around him. The attack culminates with him plunging his blade into the ground and causing the whirlwind to burst and extend outwards a short distance from its initial edge. Do not stand too close to the edge even when the whirlwind has stopped moving.
Magic and Ranged Users
The strategy for ranged players is largely the same and in fact, they may have an edge as the Apostle's attacks hit below medium range, which is where ranged players want to stay at anyway. The Godskin Apostle seems susceptible to magic damage and his poise can be broken rather easily by using multi-hit spells such as Glintblade Phalanx or Glintstone Stars, allowing you to get a critical attack in.
Godskin Apostle Attacks & Counters
|Black Flame||The Apostle's bread & butter skill. Raises his left hand and conjures a black fireball that he then tosses towards his target. The projectile has a rather fast travel speed and deals damage over time for a couple of seconds after a direct hit.||Dodge sideways or through the fireball as it comes towards you|
|Stab & Pull||The Apostle quickly stabs with the sickle-end of his twinblade and then pulls back. The attack can deal damage twice if the first hit connects.||The attack has a narrow hitbox so dodge diagonally backwards. Requires precise timing. Alternatively, you can maintain a medium distance from him when not attacking to get out of range of the attack.|
|Spinning Weapon||The Apostle twirls his weapon in front him very quickly as he slowly advances. This attack will shred HP if it connects.||Sprint away from the Apostle or dodge through and circle around his backside if you are caught too close to him.|
|Stab & Slash||The Apostle stabs downward with the blade-end of his twinblade and then spins around as he moves sideways, ending with a downward slash with the sickle.||Dodge backwards. If you avoid the stab, the slash will not hit you as the Apostle only moves sideways during this attack. The slash has a moderate recovery time and you can get one attack in safely.|
|Jumping Overhead Slash||The Apostle leaps upwards and then slashes downwards in front of him. The attack has a quick animation.||Dodge sideways or behind him as soon as he starts to descend. This attack has one of the longest recoveries in the Apostle's repertoire, allowing you to get at least 2 hits in when he lands.|
|Below 60% HP Threshold||Once the Apostle is brought down to 60% of his health, he will cross his arms and float upwards and then slam down, releasing a shockwave in a small radius around him. This signifies the start of Phase 2 where he "unseats" the skin of his torso from his body, allowing him to fling his upper half around, giving him much greater range. He also modifies some attacks and gains new ones during this phase.|
|Spinning Weapon Flight||The Apostle flings his torso outwards while spinning his weapon. His lower half stays in place.||Dodge through his weapon successfully and you will have a few seconds to get up to 4 hits in on his lower body or elongated abdomen section. His torso will be locked in animation in the extended position.|
|Plunging Blade & Sweep||A combo attack where the Apostle flings his torso upwards and then plunges the blade-end of his weapon downwards. He then follows up with a very wide sweep as his torso returns to neutral position.||Both attacks can easily be outranged or dodged through due to the delayed execution of each. Dodge sideways for the plunge and dodge through the sweep. You can get one or two hits as he recovers.|
|Black Flame Whirlwind||The Apostle's weapon is engulfed in black flames and he begins twirling it above him, creating a whirlwind of black flames that extends outwards in a large radius around him. He then plunges his blade into the ground causing the whirlwind to burst at the edges.||Back away from the Apostle as he creates the whirlwind. Be careful not to stand close to the edge of the whirlwind as the final burst will cause it to extend a short distance outwards.|
|Black Flame Sweeps||The Apostle stretches his body and swings his weapon around him, while leaving behind a trail of black flame.||Either get close or run away.|
Godskin Apostle Lore, Notes & Other Trivia
- Along with their Noble comrades, they served the Gloam-Eyed Queen and wielded Black Flame to slay the gods and wear their skin.
Godskin Apostle Image Gallery