Gurranq, Beast Clergyman is an NPC in Elden Ring. Gurranq appears to be a large, hunched creature that possesses many bestial qualities. Constantly hungering for Deathroot, he will reward those who feed him, though his hunger is unquenchable.
I won't forget... again... mine appetite... My sin...
Gurranq, Beast Clergyman Location in Elden Ring
- This NPC does not move.
- Gurranq can be fought.
- If defeated, drops: Ancient Dragon Smithing Stone.
- Dialogue will not advance after the fourth deathroot unless you walk away or rest to trigger an event.
- The event must be triggered before dialogue continues if giving a single root at a time.
- Multiple deathroots at a time, or continuing before event trigger, skips lore dialogue.
- All rewards will be given after event resolution, if given more than one at a time.
Elden Ring Gurranq, Beast Clergyman Shop
|Item Name||Item Type||Deathroot|
|Clawmark Seal and Beast Eye||Sacred Seal||First|
|Ash of War: Beast's Roar||Ashes of War||
(Event Trigger: Aggression)
|Stone of Gurranq||Incantation||Sixth|
|Gurranq's Beast Claw||Incantation||Eighth|
|Ancient Dragon Smithing Stone||Equipment Upgrade||Ninth|
Gurranq Beast Clergyman Questline
Players should go to Summonwater Village and defeat the Tibia Mariner boss there, then return to D at the Roundtable Hold to continue his quest. He will give you directions to go to the Bestial Sanctum in Caelid. You can teleport there without having to explore by using the waygate in East Limgrave. [Map link]
After the fourth Deathroot, he will become hostile towards you, you will have to bring his HP down until he stops attacking, then you can speak with him, reset the area, and use the fifth Deathroot for the Beast Claw Incantation. If you gave Gurranq the fifth Deathroot before he went aggressive, he will immediately give you the Beast Claw Incantation upon speaking to him after subduing him.
You can also choose to not talk to him after he stops attacking and kill him instead. This will make him drop the Ancient Dragon Smithing Stone without completing his quest.
- A tip for those who are finding this difficult: if you can aggro and bait Black Blade Kindred just outside to use it's big red swipe, it can one-shot Gurranq into submission.
- You can also bait him at the entrance (he can hit you through the gates and walls), back away far enough and use Night Maiden's Mist (charged for extra radius) to slowly whittle down his HP. Do note that he will remain aggressive until you reset the area.
- If you have a summons that has rot or poison, such as a Rotten Stray Ashes or Spirit Jellyfish Ashes, you can poison the Gurranq and simply wait outside while the damage ticks. It will eventually reach the threshold to break the Beast Clergyman out of his rage and reset him back to normal. Teleport out and back to find him in his normal spot.
Elden Ring Gurranq, Beast Clergyman information
- Health: 10,620 HP
- Poise: 80
The absorption numbers are the % of your damage that gets blocked. For example, if an absorption is 60, 40% of that damage by that type will go through and 60% is absorbed. Bigger number = less damage. An absorption of 100 means no damage goes through, and a resistance of -100 means the enemy takes 2x damage from that source. 0 means damage goes pretty much as is.
The resistance numbers are the buildup amount to trigger it. For example, if a resistance is 100 you must deal 100 points of whatever aux buildup to trigger it. Note that these go down over time, and increase each time the effect procs.
Dialogue in Elden Ring: Gurranq, Beast Clergyman
- "..." (grunting, snarling)
- "...I smell it... Death... Feed it me..."
- "Tarnished... bring more... Death. I shall grant thee... eye... and claw. Feed me... more."
Second and Third Deathroot
- "..." (grunting, snarling)
- "More... I am not sated... Feed me more... Death."
- "Strange, there's something else. But the death, yet quenches. Bring more."
(if you feed the fifth Deathroot before you rest or leave to trigger him going aggressive, you get this message)
- "More... I am not... sated... Feed me more... Death"
Upon dealing enough damage after feeding the fourth Deathroot
- (gasping and groaning)
- "Put it away. I won't forget... again... mine appetite... My sin... So please.... Enough."
- "My thanks Tarnished.... Death... My sin... Should not be touched by the hand of man... I shall grant thee... my claws... Feed me... more..."
Sixth, seventh and eighth Deathroot
- "I won't forget... again.... mine appetite... My sin... I must have more... I must consume more..."
- "It is... it is all... consumed. Still., I am not sated... Not nearly sated..."
- (screams) "Marika... Is this... what it is... to sin?" "Will things... never be the same... again?"
- "Tarnished... my thanks... for thy... long labor. But I have done... all I can... in this land. Henceforth, mine appetite shall be my sole companion. Farewell."
- "..." (grunting)
- More... I am not Sated.
- Bring me more Death.
When he killed Tarnished
- I must consume more...
- Marika...why...wouldst thou...gull me? Why...shatter...
Elden Ring Gurranq, Beast Clergyman Notes & Trivia
- At night, Gurranq can be found to the right side of the sanctum, howling at the sky. Talking to him when he does this does not grant new dialogue.
- A total of nine Deathroot can be given to him to finish his questline.
- Once all nine Deathroot have been given to him, he will tell the player that, despite their hard work, his hunger is still not satiated and that he will go on to be alone. He will then roar and vanish, giving the player an Ancient Dragon Smithing Stone.