Malenia, Blade of Miquella
|Location||Elphael, Brace of the Haligtree|
Elphael, Brace of the Haligtree:
|HP||= 33,251 (Demigod)|
Malenia, Blade of Miquella is a Boss in Elden Ring. This Elden Ring Malenia, Blade of Miquella Guide features boss locations, tips, strategies and videos on how to defeat Malenia easily, as well as boss stats and lore for Malenia.
Malenia was born as a twin to Miquella, the most powerful of the Empyreans. She is renowned for her legendary battle against Starscourge Radahn during the Shattering, during which she unleashed the power of the Scarlet Rot, reducing Caelid to ruins. Wielding a prosthetic arm and leg, Malenia is located in Elphael, Brace of the Haligtree.
This boss is optional, as players do not need to defeat it in order to advance in Elden Ring. Malenia is a difficult end-game boss and players may have difficulty avoiding damage from her Waterfowl Dance move in particular. Her poise is low, however, which players should make use of to interrupt some of her attacks. She drops the Remembrance of the Rot Goddess and Malenia's Great Rune when defeated. Malenia is also the feature of the game's Collector's Edition, which includes a statue of her and a replica of her helmet.
Bosses are unique and challenging Enemies that can be encountered all over the Lands Between. Shardbearers drop their own unique Great Rune and Remembrance capable of being transformed into powerful Weapons, Spells, Ashes of War, and Talismans for the player.
...Heed my words. I am Malenia. Blade of Miquella.
And I have never known defeat.
Malenia, Blade of Miquella Boss in Elden Ring
- This boss is optional.
- This is a Demi-God type boss.
- Closest Site of Grace: Haligtree Roots [Map Link]
- Multiplayer is allowed for this boss.
- Spirit Ashes can be summoned for this boss.
Elden Ring Malenia, Blade of Miquella Location
See Malenia's location on the Elden Ring Map here.
Malenia, Blade of Miquella Combat information
- Health: NG (18,473 + 14,778), NG+ (18,750 + 15,000), NG++ (20,625 + 16,500), NG+3 (21,563 + 17,250), NG+4 (22,500 + 18,000), NG+5 (24,375 + 19,500), NG+6 (25,313 + 20,250), NG+7 (26,250 + 21,000)
- Malenia heals up to 80% of her health at the beginning of phase 2
- Defenses do not change between phases - she is more aggresive in 2nd phase.
- Deals Slash, Standard and Pierce Damage. Can inflict Scarlet Rot in 2nd phase.
- Parriable: Yes. However, she can only be riposted on every 3rd parry, otherwise backsteps.
- Can be poise broken, which allows for a critical attack. Poise: 80
- Can be toppled or knocked down.
- Albinauric Pot does not work to stop her from healing.
- Able to dodge most spells with ease.
- Frostbite does not stun her, while she performs most dangerous attacks
- Blood loss is able to knock her out of those attacks.
The absorption numbers are the % of your damage that gets blocked. For example, if an absorption is 60, 40% of that damage by that type will go through and 60% is absorbed. Bigger number = less damage. An absorption of 100 means no damage goes through, and a resistance of -100 mean the enemy takes 2x damage from that source. 0 means damage goes pretty much as is.
The resistance numbers are the buildup amount to trigger it. For example, if a resistance is 100 you must deal 100 points of whatever aux buildup to trigger it. Note that these go down over time, and increase each time the effect procs.
Elden Ring Malenia, Blade of Miquella Boss Guide
Malenia, Blade of Miquella Boss Video Guide
[video coming soon]
Malenia, Blade of Miquella Tips & Strategies
It's worth mentioning at the top that the Rivers of Blood Unique Skill: Corpse Piler is so effective on Malenia that if you are finding the fight extremely difficult, you should consider being reborn to use it. Silver Tear Mask can give you +8 Arcane if you need bolstering there. Don't neglect Mind when you are reborn.
Malenia, Blade of Miquella is a two-phase fight, with the second phase beginning once her health is reduced to zero for the first time. Malenia has an active healing effect throughout the fight which provides her with 300 to 400 HP per hit, even if the attack is blocked.
Throughout phase one, she is extremely mobile, being able to close gaps through attacks and dashes. Of the notable attacks, one is an unparriable kick with high poise damage; another is a series of three rapid slashes which is then followed by an additional slash that she sometimes delays. When Malenia goes below 75% HP, she unlocks her Waterfowl Dance attack. This attack is indicated by a huge leap, where she then dives on you with a series of three spinning AoE slashes, followed by a big AoE slash at the end. This ability is deadly to even the tankiest builds and can be extremely hard to deal with.
Phase two begins immediately after a cutscene wherein Malenia sprouts wings and gains access to an array of new attacks, in addition to most of her moveset from phase one. She also gains increased damage. She begins the phase with 80% of her maximum life and always opens with a diving attack immediately followed up with Scarlet Aeonia, a large AoE explosion which leaves a short-lived mist that applies scarlet rot. This phase is mostly similar to the first, except when she leaps she can now decide to: cast Waterfowl Dance (which now applies scarlet rot), cast Scarlet Aeonia, bombard you with scarlet rot butterflies that are in the shape of her (and can also both slice and stab you) or dive on you while triggering a scarlet rot explosion.
The Best Tips for Malenia, Blade of Miquella
- She can avoid most spells/throwable items, with a few exceptions like uncharged Lightning Spear (after being hit with spear, she always dashes two times) or the Night Sorceries of Sellia, such as Night Shard. Therefore, either bring homing spells, night spells, or attack during her attack animations.
- Most of her attacks have to be dodged by rolling to the side.
- Her attacks deal Physical-type damage only, so Incantations/Items (f.e. Black Flame's Protection, Dragoncrest Greatshield Talisman) that boost this type of defense are recommended.
- Her low Poise makes it easy to interrupt most of her actions by just relentlessly attacking her. Stacking poise on your character (around 60) will allow you to keep attacking through most of her own attacks. She is also vulnerable to knockdown attacks in her first phase, so using a weapon or Spirit Ash that abuses this can be helpful.
- Weapons with Bleed are recommended, as it's easy to proc the status on her and it allows you to more easily outpace her self healing. Frost is also a valid option. Curved Swords are a good choice as their dual-wielded jumping attack hits four times allowing quick Bleed build-up. This can be paired with the Raptor's Black Feathers, Claw Talisman, Beastman's Curved Sword, and Rotten Winged Sword Insignia for high DPS. The Scavenger's Curved Sword dual wielded with another Curved sword with a bleed affinity is a good choice for such a build.
- Malenia heals every time she hits you with an attack, even when blocked. In addition, she often dodges backwards at the end of a combo, making parries and guard counters hard to land. This makes most shields less useful than normal. It is recommended that you two-hand your weapon and dodge roll her attacks. A great shield with high block may be useful when she performs her Waterfowl Dance.
- Co-op is not recommended with low latency; her attacks will heal her even if you perfectly dodge. (FIXED WITH PATCH 1.05)
- Powerful summons (if you're able / willing to use them): Redmane Knight Ogha Ashes
- Ogha's greatarrows will often stagger Malenia and can even interrupt her during the Flower Fountain attack. Additionally he will stay in the back and she will focus on you as long as you keep her attention.
- Using any ranged attacks, perfumes, or throwables will cause Malenia to not only dodge left or right to avoid them, but also cause her to rush the player. Spells or incantations that can track her are recommended. Once she reaches 75% health and starts using Waterfowl Dance, she will proceed to dodge any range attack as usual but will then activate Waterfowl dance directly afterwards. The only time the player should use ranged attacks is if Malenia is being distacted by a summon. The Night Shard spell will not trigger her evasion, as it's invisible to non-player characters.
- Her opening move in phase two, Scarlet Aeonia, as described above, can be easily avoided by immediately running towards her and turning right upon being almost directly underneath her. She will turn to follow your movement, but as soon as she is looking leftwards you can start moving right and you should be far enough away to avoid both parts of the attack.
- If the method above does not work or is hard to follow, knowing when to roll the attacks may be a bit easier. When Malenia is in the air and she has the Scarlet Aeonia's petals on her (which will look like orange flowing wings), pay attention to her stance and movement. She will first make the petals appear while raising her sword before she makes any movement. The best time to roll would be a little than a second after she starts moving down toward you. After that, roll again about 1 1.2 seconds later to avoid the second attack from Scarlet Aeonia.
- When you have avoided the Scarlet Aeonia attack, there is a window of about 5-7 seconds where Malenia is unable to move or attack while at the centre of the scarlet rot mist. Use this opportunity to unleash powerful ranged attacks or spells/incantations with a DoT area effect. If you have the FP, Comet Azur can take off a sizable chunk of her HP before she becomes active again. This can be repeated every time she does this attack and is your best opportunity for heavy damage. You can also attack her freely in melee during this window but be aware you will take heavy DoT (Damage over Time) and Scarlet Rot buildup.
- If Malenia is running at you at the start of the fight, she will proceed to rush you with a horizontal spinning attack once you are in range. This attack is telegraphed and easily parried. If you're not good at parrying, then dodge toward Malenia's left side (the player's right). If she slows down or starts moving left or right, she will not do the spin attack.
- In order to avoid her Waterfowl Dance combo you must start running away from her while maintaining lock-on as soon as she leaps, which will let you avoid the first two spin attacks entirely if done soon enough (if not you will have to roll the second one). The third spin attack has to be rolled through, and make sure to stay away from her until the final AoE triggers. If you are caught by the attack it is better to roll towards her than away; the extreme edges of the attack seem to have more hitboxes.
- Ash of War: Bloodhound's Step makes dodging Waterfowl Dance significantly easier. Using that ability, you can completely avoid the combo, even if you're close to Malenia when she starts its windup. Dash away from her, out of range of the first and second flurries (possibly multiple times depending on how far away she is), and toward her (once) to avoid the third flurry. (During the third flurry she jumps to you regardless of the distance, but the first and second flurries have a fixed jump range.)
- In Phase 2, make sure you are constantly topped up to full HP. Many of her basic combo attacks are strong enough to deal well over 1000 damage to heavy armour users very quickly, so sitting at 80% HP or below to save on flasks is liable to get you killed.
- A weapon with the Ash of War: Wild Strikes and the blood affinity can trivialize the first phase of the fight.
- Black Knife Tiche is an effective summon. She frequently knocks Malenia down and her special attack deals 2000+ damage. Plus her frequent dodges reduce Malenia's tendency to devour summons for heals.
- While the Mimic Tear is a generally good summon for this fight, note that it doesn't get stat boosts from Godrick's Great Rune, equipment, or other sources; so if you're using any of those to meet the requirements for spells or weapon skills, the mimic won't be able to use them.
- Using the Spread Out gesture can allow the player to avoid most of Malenia's attacks, though don't stay down for too long because her slam can still hit you.
- Ash of War: Golden Parry is useful for easily parrying most of her attacks. The increased parry range and window can be of tremendous help to players with less experience in parrying her attacks.
The main trick here is to attack her when she's not in an attack animation in order to stagger her, typically after she is done with a combo. Once you hit her and it staggers her, keep attacking to keep the stagger going while paying attention to when she side hops as this interrupts the stagger. When she does so, roll out of the way, keep some distance, and dodge her attacks until you get another opening, while keeping a keen eye on the startup for her waterfowl dance, to which you should run away from the first two volleys and dodge through the final volley. Be mindful of your positioning at all times, you do not want your back to a wall when she does her waterfowl dance. Stay calm, do not panic, watch some videos of her attacks, and you'll realize her flashy moves just seemed intimidating/impossible at first. Do not rely on a shield to do the work for you due to her healing ability, at most you should only use it to block the stray hit. Talisman suggestions would be Dragoncrest Greatshield (or your best one), Ritual Shield Talisman, and Green Turtle Talisman to help mitigate damage and improve stamina regeneration.
In her second phase her attacks start to flow together more, but good ones to punish are her slamming attacks as she takes some time to create a rot burst in front of her.
Magic and Ranged Strategy
While still requiring you to learn her special moves, the combination of Swarm of Flies, faith and incantation boosts, and Black Knife Tiche make this a more manageable fight for ranged characters. For setup, have Tiche fully upgraded, equip your best seal, and memorize flies and your favorite heal over time. Stay in the light equip load range while stacking faith. A shield can be useful, particularly when you're learning the fight, as the first encounter will start her right on you and a shield can also help while you learn the timing for dodging Waterfowl Dance (but is useless for Scarlet Aeonia).
In terms of strategy, summon Tiche and get to medium range. Once Malenia focuses on Tiche, start summoning flies. A slight delay between casts is a little more effective than constant spam, as it seems catch her fully in each swarm rather than clipping her as she dodges out. If she leaps, just keep your distance and get ready to dodge Waterfowl Dance. With luck, one of your swarms will cause blood loss and she'll be staggered, but because you're keeping range, you should be able to dodge much, if not all, of the Waterfowl Dance. If she lands close, roll back to avoid her second swipe. Then back away and watch her as she leaps. As she starts to charge, roll forward to miss the third strike. Then finally you have to roll either forward or backwards (depending on the camera angle and your own roll timing) to escape the final AoE blossom. The final attack depends a little on how you play, so try each one until you know which one works for you. Once this is mastered, the first phase is relatively easy. Just try to shed aggro to Tiche when Malenia turns on you, back away to medium range, then start launching flies again.
Once phase 2 starts, run straight towards Malenia and turn right once you're under her and keep going (the AoE has a large range). Then just spam flies till she recovers. Once that happens, just keep up your phase 1 strategy of letting her pay attention to Tiche, then casting flies until she looks at you, etc. If she casts Aeonia again and she's looking at Tiche, you can just spam flies from a distance as her sword strike will target Tiche and you'll already be at range to avoid the AoE. Malenia's attacks are really designed to screw with your head and make you panic, but because you're at range, you don't have to deal with her healing nearly as much as melee.
For Incantation users, best combo is Borealis's Mist and Lightning Spear. Start the fight with inflicting Frostbite, then keep her at medium distance and spam with Lightning Damage (she will approach the player slowly, plus distance makes avoiding her infamous Waterfowl attack much easier). During the second phase, inflict Frostbite only when she is recovering from Scarlet Aeonia. Look for her attacks with medium/slow recovery time to attack with Lightning Spear for high damage.
Spamming Ranni's Dark Moon spells can be extremely helpful if you have a spirit ash to distract Malenia and attract her aggro. The spell lowers her magic resistance and deals frostbite damage. You can kill her with a little over a dozen Dark Moons in the first playthrough, given a high INT stat.
Note: Do not charge Lightning Spear, as she can avoid that with ease.
Malenia, Blade of Miquella Attacks & Counters
|Waterfowl Dance||Malenia leaps into the air, after a short pause she dives onto the player and slashes around her in an AoE. She then slashes two more times, closing the gap with a smaller dash each time. Her final slash is then followed with a short AoE that she doesn't move for. This attack also builds up scarlet rot very quickly in phase two. This attack can be blocked.||
There are two main ways to dodge the attack, the method depends on the distance between you and her:
1) If you are distanced about four or more meters out of her sword's reach, immediately start running back the moment she leaps in the air. The first two slashes will miss as long as you keep running. Immediately stop running after she finishes her second slash and roll towards her, the third slash will miss since it's programmed to send her behind you. If you've timed this right the fourth slash will miss as well without requiring any additional inputs from you.
2) If she jumps up while you're within her sword's reach, immediately start running back. The timing is precise and requires some training. The moment her foot touches the ground to begin the first slash, jump or roll away from her, this move will dodge the first slash. She'll now wind up her second slash, move towards her while keeping your eyes on her sword arm, then roll towards her left arm (right side from your POV) the moment her sword arm starts to move for a second slash. If timed right this will dodge her second slash. For the third slash, simply roll towards her again and then roll away from her to avoid the fourth slash.
3) If you have a weapon with high bleed build-up (such as dual curved swords with Ash of War: Seppuku), the bleed effect will stagger her out of the Waterfowl Dance attack.
4) Ash of War: Bloodhound Step can also be used to easily dodge through this attack. You can apply the Ash of War to an off-hand dagger and quickly switch to it whenever she begins the Waterfowl Dance animation.
Another way to dodge this attack when you're at close range (albeit a lot more difficult), is to circle her (without locking-on) when she's in the air, double roll away from her for the first dash, lock-on to her again and do the same thing as above for the other three dashes.
Malenia will rush the player before she swipes at the player with her leg (unparryable), which can then be followed up by one of four attacks. A slightly delayed stabbing dash attack, a sword swipe followed up by an overhead slam on the ground, or two quick slices followed by another slice. It can also be followed up with a grab attack (see below).
|The kick is fairly easy to avoid. Creating distance can keep you safe from the latter two follow ups. The stabbing dash attack is telegraphed by a small flash on her sword, helping you time a roll. The kick can also be blocked, but consumes high amounts of stamina.|
Malenia will slightly jump into the air, followed by a very quick thrusting attack, dealing a huge amount of pierce damage. This attack usually catches player off-guard. Can be parried at melee.
|Malenia usually does this attack when the player is healing at mid-range. So if you want to heal, make sure to run far away from her first before healing, or wait for the thrust before healing. To avoid the thrust, simply roll left or right (backwards works as well but it's a bit risky). Because of pierce damage, this attack deals increased damage if the player is in counterattack frames.|
Malenia will shorten her blade (indicated by a ping sound) then rush the player, do three quick attacks in succession, followed by a final horizontal attack that can be delayed. This attack can end up quickly healing her along with devastating the player's health. This attack can also occur on its own, in the middle of a combo, or to end a combo (usually indicated by her delaying the final sweep). Can be parried.
|Malenia uses this attack only if her blade is to her right (the player's left if they are looking at her) which means you can be better prepared for it. Listen for the ping sound to indicate the weapon change, then roll towards her (into the attack) to her right. Back up and if needed roll away from her once you are clear to avoid the final sweep. Do not rush in for an attack unless the final sweep is delayed, which would indicate the end of a combo and an opening for the player. Avoid dodging backwards, since she might sometimes follow it up with the same attack - this can happen multiple times in a row.|
|Uppercut + Slam OR Charge + Spin||
Malenia will hold her sword back, then do one of the two damaging attacks depending on the player's location:
|The two attacks are very delayed and extremely damaging, so make sure you recognize the starting animation (indicated by her holding her sword back) immediately and be prepared for the attacks.
For Uppercut + Slam: Roll backwards to avoid the uppercut, then wait for her to slam down and roll forward left or forward right.
For Charge + Spin: Roll twice as soon as you see her charging towards you to dodge both the spin and the slam altogether.
Malenia will be wide open for attacks after performing these two attacks. You can either do a charged strong attack or even a weapon's skills such as Lion's Claw or Spinning Slash.
Malenia will raise her hand in preparation for a grab attack, then lunge in a straight line towards the player very quickly. If the grab connects she will toss the player into the air and impale them, dealing 2225 base thrusting damage, before tossing their body onto the ground. During Phase two, this attack can be immediately followed by a flying sweep + thrust attack. This attack cannot be blocked or parried.
Dodge roll when Malenia lunges, preferablyto the sides (backwards works too if you time it right). During Phase two, be prepared for the flying sweep + thrust attack (See below) as it may catch the player off-guard. While this attack can be interrupted by most player attacks while she winds up the grab, it's not suggested to do so because of the risks.
|Scarlet Aeonia||Phase two only. Malenia will dive onto the player and summon a giant flower that explodes around her. This leaves a lingering mist that applies scarlet rot and a DoT effect in the area. This attack is always used as her first attack in phase two.||Roll as soon as you see her sword is lifted, then sprint away for her for a little bit (around half a second), then roll away from her again. Remember to not attack her right away after the explosion as the rot will linger for quite a bit (around 4 - 5 seconds), use this time window to heal, recover FP, reapply buffs, or even cast some spells if you're a ranged user. After the scarlet rot is gone (indicated by the flower disappearing), she will be unable to move for a while, and is wide open for attacks, use this time window to use your skill (or a charged strong attack) on her to deal massive damage in a single hit.|
|Scarlet Explosion||Phase two only. Malenia will retain its original moves from Phase one, however there is a chance that she will do a follow-up on most attacks, where she flies up into the air briefly, then slams down her sword, dealing a huge amount of damage and creating on the ground a small vortex of rot, which then explodes after a brief delay and builds up scarlet rot. The explosion can also occur from the slamming attacks from Phase one, which she can follow up and result in a double Scarlet Explosion.||
This attack usually occur when she is done with her regular Phase one combo. Roll in any direction to avoid the slam, roll again if you're unsure whether exploson will hit you. This attack can be heavily punished if you roll into her and get to her back, as she will be wide open for attacks after the slam.
|Flying Sweep + Thrust||Phase two only. Malenia will fly up into the air, and glides down onto the player from the left, followed by a very quick thrust attack. This attack can be followed up with the Scarlet Explosion attack.||She will usually do this attack when you're at long range. Roll left to avoid the first sweep, then roll left or right to avoid the thrust. See above to learn how to dodge the Scarlet Explosion follow-up. Because of pierce damage, the follow up thrust attack deals increased damage if the player is in counterattack frames.|
|Counter Kick||Phase two only. Sometimes, when the player hit Malenia, she will follow-up by countering the player with a kick (different from a regular kick). Although this kick doesn't do a lot of damage, it'll usually catch the player off guard and stagger them greatly.||Never attack twice in a row when she's in a walking/running animation and always be prepared for the counter kick, roll backwards when she begins to lift her leg to avoid the attack. Unlike the regular kick, Malenia will not follow this up with another attack and will stand still for a solid second. You can exploit this weakness by doing an attack after dodging the counter kick (either doing a running attack, quick weapon's skills, or just a simple attack if you have a long weapon).|
|Phantom Spirits||Phase two only. Malenia will fly into the air, creating a pool of scarlet rot on the ground below her, and consecutively fire out four phantom versions of herself that will do two horizontal sweeps, a vertical slam, a third horizontal sweep followed by a quick thrust, one final thrust, before Malenia herself comes down with a high speed flying thrust to player, dealing high damage. The first and last phantom will stay longer in order to do a single thrust attack each, occurring after the fourth's sweep attack.||
Roll in the directions as the following order: Backwards twice (delay a bit between these two rolls), followed by two forward rolls (immediately after one another), then roll to the left twice (immediately after one another). The timing for the third and fourth roll might be a bit difficult to get a grasp on (and will usually result in death as you'll get hit by two phantoms), but once you get those two rolls right, you'll never get hit by the phantoms.
Note: This attack can target more than 1 player.
Elden Ring Malenia Lore, Notes & Trivia
- In version 1.04 of Elden Ring, there was a bug related to the healing mechanic, which was present only when players fought Malenia in co-op - each attack would result in heal, even if the attack missed due to i-frames. This has since been fixed as of update 1.04.1
- Malenia first unleashed the Scarlet Rot in her battle with Radahn, destroying the region of Caelid in the process.
- She is an Empyrean like Ranni and her brother Miquella.
- Melina's armor set can be found in the area directly before Malenia's boss room. This and the similarity of their names has led many fans to speculate that they are related in some way.
- In the Elden Ring trailer shown at E3 2021, Malenia's arena is slightly different, with a much darker appearance and fewer roots in the background. However, the clip from her pre-battle cutscene has the final arena design.
- First phase can't be finished with a critical strike - Malenia will remain with 1 HP left, even with poison or rot damage. In a very earlier version of the game, if the player managed to finish that phase with critical strike, 2nd phase Malenia would spawn with 1 HP.
- After the player parries her three times and she enters the animation that allows for a critical hit, she can be staggered by any attack (including things like throwing knives), knocking her out of the critical animation.
- Voice Actress: Pippa Bennett-Warner
I dreamt for so long.
My flesh was dull gold...and my blood, rotted.
Corpse after corpse, left in my wake...
As I awaited... his return.
... Heed my words.
I am Malenia. Blade of Miquella.
And I have never known defeat.
Defeating player in phase 1: I am Malenia, Blade of Miquella...
Defeating player in phase 2: Let your flesh be consumed. By the scarlet rot.
The scarlet bloom flowers once more
You will witness true horror.
Your strength, extraordinary...
The mark...of a true Lord...
O, dear Miquella...
O, dearest Miquella, my brother...
I'm sorry. I finally met my match...
Malenia, Blade of Miquella Image Gallery