Rennala, Queen of the Full Moon
|Location||Raya Lucaria Academy, Liurnia of the Lakes|
Raya Lucaria Academy:
|HP||Phase 1: 3493
Phase 2: 4097
All Status Effects
Rennala, Queen of the Full Moon is a Boss in Elden Ring. This Elden Ring Rennala, Queen of the Full Moon Guide features boss locations, tips, strategies and videos on how to defeat Rennala easily, as well as boss stats and lore for Rennala.
Though not a demigod, Rennala, Queen of the Full Moon is one of the many shardbearers that players may need to defeat in order to advance the story forward. She is found in the Academy of Raya Lucaria. Rennala is a powerful sorceress and the current head of the Carian Royal family. The royal family used to govern the academy, but when Radagon left Rennala to become Marika's second consort, she became weak and the academy's scholars rebelled against them. Rennala was then locked in the Grand Library with her amber egg.
You don't need to fight Rennala to progress into the next area of Elden Ring, and can instead opt to face her at a later part of the game. During her first phase, focus on attacking the juvenile scholars with the golden aura to drop her shield. In her second phase, take advantage of the fact that she staggers easily. She drops the Remembrance of the Full Moon Queen and Great Rune of the Unborn when defeated. She also turns into an NPC that helps you respec your character.
Bosses are unique and challenging Enemies that can be encountered all over the Lands Between. Shardbearers drop their own unique Great Rune and Remembrance capable of being transformed into powerful Weapons, Spells, Ashes of War, and Talismans for the player.
Hush, little culver.
I'll soon birth thee anew, a sweeting fresh and pure…
Elden Ring Rennala, Queen of the Full Moon Boss
Rennala, Queen of the Full Moon is a Legend Boss found in the Raya Lucaria Academy in Liurnia of the Lakes.
- This boss is optional, as only two shardbearers must be defeated to gain access to Leyndell.
- This boss is mandatory for at least one of the ending
- Rennala is a Legend type boss.
- Closest Site of Grace: Debate Parlor (after shortcut is open)
- Multiplayer is allowed for this boss
- You can summon Spirit ashes for this boss
Elden Ring Rennala, Queen of the Full Moon Location
Rennala, Queen of the Full Moon Combat Information
- Health: NG (3493 + 4097), NG+ (??), NG++ (??), NG+3 (??), NG+4 (??), NG+5 (??), NG+6 (??), NG+7 (??)
- This enemy has NO POISE, so being aggressive is the best strategy.
- Rennala deals Standard Damage (1st phase, 2nd part of fight only) and Magic Damage.
- Phase transition does effect her resistance to elemental-type damage (excluding Magic Damage)
- During 1st phase, Rennala is covered in a bubble, which renders her immune to any sort of damage. To dispell the bubble, the player must attack 3 Juvenile Scholars that have a similar aura and can be identified by a louder song and the flying books they throw at the player. Attacking three of these scholars will stun all enemies in the area and Rennala will fall to the ground.
- During 1st phase, if a player were to 'kill' Rennala in her bubble (by inflicting status effects) she will not die. This leaves her with one HP, leaving her to die from a singular hit.
- During 1st phase, Juvenile Scholars are present in the area - they deal Physical Damage and Fire Damage. Scholars shares weaknesses/resistances with Rennala.
- During 1st phase, parts of environment (chandelier) can drop onto player, what is telegraphed by dropping fire in the area
- During 2nd phase, Rennala uses Spirit Ashes:
- Parriable: No
- Can be poise broken for critical attack (2nd phase) - in 1st phase as well, but that stun does not allow to perform a critical attack.
- During 2nd phase, Rennala can be knocked down with specific weaponry/spells, such as Carian Piercer.
- Poise (2nd Phase): 80
Values in brackets correspond to Phase 2.
The absorption numbers are the % of your damage that gets blocked. For example, if an absorption is 60, 40% of that damage by that type will go through and 60% is absorbed. Bigger number = less damage. An absorption of 100 means no damage goes through, and a resistance of -100 mean the enemy takes 2x damage from that source. 0 means damage goes pretty much as is.
Values in brackets correspond to Phase 2.
The resistance numbers are the buildup amount to trigger it. For example, if a resistance is 100 you must deal 100 points of whatever aux buildup to trigger it. Note that these go down over time, and increase each time the effect procs.
Results of Defeat on World
- During this boss fight, Ranni the Witch narrates a portion of a cutscene. Defeating this boss will NOT fail Ranni's questline.
- Defeating this boss will give you the option to Rebirth your character in exchange for Larval Tears.
- Possibly missed content if NPCs/Quests/Other are not dealt with beforehand:
- None Known
- The chest behind defeated Rennala can be opened with the Discarded Palace Key (completing Ranni's Quest).
- Enia will become available in Roundtable Hold, if Rennala is the first Great Rune boss the Tarnished has defeated.
Elden Ring Rennala, Queen of the Full Moon Boss Guide
Rennala, Queen of the Full Moon Boss Video Guide
Rennala, Queen of the Full Moon Fight Strategy
The Best Tips for Rennala, Queen of the Full Moon:
- Use the Lone Wolf Ashes Summon
- If using magic, Rock Sling is a good option.
- Bleed can be an effective way to get past her first phase quickly
The first part of the fight, Rennala is in a protective golden bubble floating above while the room is full of students that cast diverse spells. Some will throw books at you as projectiles and other will breathe fire. The students that are throwing books at you will be singing and have a golden aura around them. These are the ones that “sustain” Rennala's bubble. **There may be a bug in the game that causes the 3 singing students to appear** Attack them to break their concentration, however killing them is not necessary. Once you've disrupted three of the golden bubble students, Rennala will drop to the ground. Punish her once she is on her knees. Don't get too greedy, as soon as light emerges from her, go back as fast as possible to evade her AOE attack. She will raise a few students to turn into gravestones that she will charge up and launch at you, signaled by the stones floating in the air and her hand turning white as she waves it at you (students can be killed before they rise by ranged/jumping attacks). This also makes a distinct noise. Take cover behind one of the solid pillars near the bookshelves in the room, not the bookshelves themselves as they'll be destroyed by the gravestones.
After executing this process enough times to exhaust her health bar, Rennala will fall to the ground and a cutscene will begin. This begins her second phase.
The second phase is against Rennala herself, this time she will cast a few spells. She starts the fight by blasting a powerful energy blast towards you. This can be dodged with a well-timed roll, or by running at about a 45-degree angle toward her. Be specially aware of her summons. She will cast them when her health bar starts to get low. She will impale her staff on the ground, a pattern will be drawn on the water and one of three creatures will appear. Don't let any of those caught you off guard. They don't last until killed, but remain for a few attacks and leave the battlefield. It is not worth trying to fight them; running them in a circle will eventually despawn them. The dragon she summons will breathe fire at you once, make sure to gain a lot of distance from this fire as it's incredibly powerful. If you're far enough back from the dragon it will launch up into the air and attempt to ground slam you. This can be avoided by running TOWARD the dragon/Rennala, as the dragon will go over your head and land behind you.
If you're using a Bow just fire away, since Physical Damage is good here. Range down the students in Phase I.
In Phase II clear the adds with melee attacks if you're a mage, and Bow if you're an Archer and then attack the boss, repeating this pattern.
Rennala is very resistant to magic, so the best choice against her is Rock Sling, to which she is vulnerable. But bring a sword for hitting the glowing students, locking the right one can be a pain.
In phase 2 spirits are very helpful, since they distract her. Keep range (running is often better than dodging), and wait for an opening after her attacks, fireing Rock Sling at her. With decent INT and the Meteorite Staff she will go down quickly. But beware of her summons since they break lock.
Rennala, Queen of the Full Moon Attacks & Counters
|Light Explosion||When she is recovering after her bubble has been broken, Rennala charges light into her hand and unleashes a powerful AoE attack on her location.||Roll back as soon as you see her hand filling with light.|
|Gravestones||She will levitate a few Juvenile Scholars into the air and transform them into gravestones, then send them after the player, dealing heavy damage.||Run away or dodge. She telegraphs this attack fairly well.|
|Juvenile Scholar - Fire Breath||The scholar raises her candles and blows a short-ranged stream of fire.||Run away or dodge to the side.|
|Juvenile Scholar - Headbutt||Rarely, when the player is very close to a scholar, she may use her head to perform an attack.||This attack is more of an annoyance than an actual threat. Dispatching multiple scholars can mitigate this.|
|Juvenile Scholar - Levitate||The scholars levitate globes towards the player. The singing scholars will launch countless books at the player, dealing minuscule damage.||The globes can hit hard, but are very slow. Take down the singing scholars quickly.|
|Comet Azur||She will always begin the fight with this move. Rennala charges for a few seconds before unleashing a massive beam of magic.||Roll to either side.|
|Star Shower||She will summon many homing magic projectiles that seek out enemies.||Roll forward to evade them.|
|Shattering Crystal||After summoning a large crystal in front of her, it will shatter in a forward burst, covering a large area in front of her.||Roll forward to evade. It can also be blocked.|
|Homing Crystals||She will summon a line of crystals, which will quickly home in towards their intended target||Run to the sides.|
|Rennala's Full Moon||Rennala transforms into a full moon, causing magic to dispel while she is in it. After a while, she launches the moon, which homes in on nearby targets before exploding.||Roll or run away; the blast radius of the explosion can be seen in the water as the moon gets closer to the floor.|
|Spirit Ash Summon||Upon reaching around 50% health, she will slam down her staff, knocking back anything too close to her and summoning a random enemy to fight on her behalf. She can summon a dragon, a pack of four wolves, a Bloodhound Knight, or a Troll. The spirits disappear after a prolonged period of time.||Run them in a large circle around Rennala to gain distance from them, and attack Rennala while she's vulnerable. Run TOWARD the dragon when it is in the air preparing the ground slam attack, it will go over your head.|
Rennala, Queen of the Full Moon Lore, Notes & Other Trivia
- Voice Actress: Mali Rhys Harries
- Helping other people before defeating boss on your own may cause this boss fight to vanish with Rebirth option being locked on that NG cycle, as Rennala NPC does not spawn. (further testing required)
- The stage of the second phase of the fight is reminiscent of the one of Rom, the Vacuous Spider, one of the main story bosses in Bloodborne, another From Software title.
- The second half of the fight is not against Rennala, but against some sort of fail-safe illusion designed to protect Rennala, likely created by Ranni.
- There are currently two bugs you may encounter while fighting Rennala:
- The protective golden bubble may fail to spawn around Rennala when loading the area. If this happens you will not be able to damage Rennala and thus cannot progress past the first phase. You will need to re-load the area to correct it.
- The golden aura scholar who sustains Rennala's shield may not spawn. You will need to re-load the area to correct it.
- First phase can't be finished while Rennala is in bubble. If her health is downed to 1 HP due to Poison/Scarlet Rot, she will fall on ground with no protection and has to be finished there.
- This boss is fairly straightforward to fight for melee users, and staggers easily in either phase of the fight. It is possible to pass Phase 1 after breaking the shield a single time, and in Phase 2 it is possible to stagger her out of spellcasting or stun-lock her with a fast weapon. On defeat as a Furled Finger Cooperator the player is rewarded 10 000 runes, making this boss a reasonably efficient way for melee users to farm runes mid-game without following the Bloody Finger Invader questline.
- Lack of Stake of Marika at her Academy is probably caused by how Marika influenced her life in a bad way.
- Spirit Ashes summoned during 2nd phase are associated with Ranni's servants:
- This boss was likely based on cut content for Dark Souls III, relating to a boss encounter with Rosaria, Mother of Rebirth. Some similarities are shown between her and Rennala, as they both focus on rebirthing and those that become born anew often are left disfigured or grotesque, alluding to both the Juvenile Scholars and the Man-Grubs.
Hush, little culver.
I'll soon birth thee anew, a sweeting fresh and pure...
Come, sweetings, time to be born, anew. (Spoken when using her Scholar Tomes attack)
Come, Oath-sworn giant/dragon! (Spoken when summoning a giant or dragon during her second phase)
Second phase transition cutscene:
Ahh, my beloved...
Have no fear, I will hold thee. Patience.
Ye will be countless born, forever and ever.
(Note: While there is more dialogue in this cutscene, it is spoken by Ranni the Witch.
Upon my name as Ranni the Witch.
Mother's rich slumber shall not be disturbed by thee.
Send word far and wide.
Of the last Queen of Caria, Rennala of the Full Moon.
And the majesty of the night she conjureth.)
Be not afeard, little culver. (Phase 1)
Thy fate lieth under my moon. (Phase 2)
Oh little Ranni, my dear daughter.
Weave thy night into being.
(Note: For Rennala's dialogue once she becomes an NPC, see Rennala, Queen of the Full Moon (NPC))
Rennala, Queen of the Full Moon Image Gallery