Sorcerer Rogier is an NPC in Elden Ring. Rogier uses a hat that covers his face and talks in a very polite way. He acts a merchant, selling Ashes of War relating to the Magic Affinity, as well as being a Quest NPC himself. Interacting with him may also make him available as an NPC Summon.
The pleasure's mine. Rogier's the name. A sorcerer, as you might have guessed.
Sorcerer Rogier Information in Elden Ring
Rogier presents himself and seems pretty friendly. He tells you that he is a Sorcerer and he is looking for something in the castle. He's also available as a NPC cooperator against Margit, the Fell Omen without needing to meet him first.
Elden Ring Sorcerer Rogier Spells
Sorcerer Rogier Questline: How to complete Sorcerer Rogier's Quest
Spoiler-free hints are provided in Bold text, sometimes additional hints are provided. Don't read past the bold paragraphs if you wish to discover things for yourself.
- Find Rogier within Stormveil Castle, before defeating Godrick
- Rogier can first be found in Stormveil Castle by the altar of the Chapel in the northwest section [Map Link]
- Find Rogier after defeating Godrick, and before Liurnia North-West Questlines
- Rogier, being a Tarnished, might seek a peaceful place to reflect on his search through Stormveil.
- After defeating Godrick he will move to Roundtable Hold, on the balcony that overlooks the entrance hall. He gives you a Rogier's Rapier +8 that comes with Ash of War: Glintblade Phalanx. (Note: You will be unable to progress Rogier's questline if you speak to Ranni at the Three Sisters in the northwest of Liurnia before finishing this questline.)
- Rogier found what he was looking for in Stormveil - you should seek it as well.
- What you seek is found near a large monster, after some small and not-so-small vermin. Look around the monster's bewildering arena for something to interact with, and perhaps you will see how Rogier was injured as well.
- If you already unlocked the door next to Liftside Chamber, start through that door. Otherwise, start your search in the Jars' courtyard which is across from the Secluded Cell site of grace. You will need to do some jumping to find the secret path. Rogier left a hint message for you, near a beautiful view.
- From the Secluded Cell, head straight into the courtyard where Jars are. Jump onto the Eastern ledge from the wooden platform, follow it around to a window, and then a doorway on the right after the window. You will now be above the Jars, continue through the next room and you will find Roger's encouraging message. Jump down a few ledges and through a door to come into another courtyard. Head directly forward and open the door for a shortcut from the Liftside Chamber site of grace.
- You will now head underneath Stormveil Castle. Starting from the Liftside Grace, exit out the door to the courtyard, turn right, double back, approach the ledge that has a corpse sitting and looking down. Jump down to the buttresses below and again to the wooden scaffolding and onto the ground. Defeat the Lesser Ulcerated Tree Spirit and continue on to find what looks to be an ancient, rotting face. Just in front of the face is a bloodstain. Activate it to view a memory.
- If the player doesn't see the bloodstain, they must talk to Rogier first in his location in Stormveil, or defeat Godrick.
- Rogier should have something to say about what you found.
- Return to the Roundtable and ask Rogier about the face. He will explain: "That is a sacred relic. Of the black knives plot."
- Perhaps other Tarnished in the hold are also aware of the death-bringing black knives plot?
- Talk to Fia and allow her to hold the Tarnished. Exhaust the dialogue options along the lines of "Talk in secret", "Did you know?" and "About the Black Knifeprint" to get Knifeprint Clue that reveals the location of a Black Knife Catacombs [Map link] where a Black Knifeprint can be found. This step can be skipped by getting the Knifeprint without the map.
- You will need to find a relic, and return to Rogier to show it to him.
- The relic is well-hidden in the place that Fia directed you to, you won't gain it by defeating the "main" boss of the dungeon. Try looking carefully before you get your feet wet in the dungeon...
- The Black Knifeprint is hidden behind an illusory wall in the room before dropping down to a flooded pit with levers. Defeat the Black Knife Assassin to obtain it. Return the Black Knifeprint to Rogier. On reloading the area he will send you looking for Ranni, who can be found at the Three Sisters in the North West of Liurnia.
- Head to Liurnia to ask for more information from Ranni.
- Upon talking to Ranni she effectively tells the player to leave. Notifying Rogier of this development results in Rogier recommending the player become one of Ranni's Vassals to get more information from her. Rogier sends the player back to talk to Ranni again.
- You should now be working for Ranni - be sure to check in occasionally with Rogier.
- Ranni will now allow the player to become one of her vassals and begin her questline. Returning to Rogier results in him warning the player that he is worried he will fall into a deep slumber - he is on the brink. Resting at the site of grace will in fact show that now he has fallen into the slumber he spoke of.
- Later on, after resting a couple of times, and/or progressing through the story, he will die, leaving behind his Bell Bearing, set, his rapier if you didn't get it before, and a letter revealing the existence of D's younger brother and his whereabouts. His body and chair will mysteriously disappear on a subsequent visit.
Notes: after 8.1, teleporting instantly back to the Hold or even back from elsewhere seems to result in having Rogier still unconscious, but it appears a quick way to have Rogier's death and lootable items is to activate a new Site of Grace; tested in a few different runs and with different Sites of Grace
Rogier's Dialogue in Elden Ring: Sorcerer Rogier
- Ah, nice to meet you.
The pleasure's mine. Rogier's the name. A sorcerer, as you might have guessed.
I'm looking for a little something, here in the castle. When I'm not hotfooting it from the troops, that is.
But enough about me, what are you doing here in Stormveil Castle?
This place is bristling with Tarnished hunters, you know. They sacrifice our kind, for grafting. Not exactly a place I'd stroll into without a purpose in mind...
I'm here to defeat Godrick
- You can see it then, I take it? The guidance of grace. Well, enjoy it while you can.
I'm Tarnished, like you. But unlike you, I've seen neither hide nor hair of this guidance for the longest time. Still, I won't forget how it felt when I first came here, to the Lands Between.
I'm privy to a few magical battle arts. Would you care to learn one? As a fellow Tarnished, once guided by grace, I'd love to help you out, if it please.
At Roundtable Hold
- Ah, we meet again after all.
I apologize for any offence given by my bearing, but I'm quite unable to move, you see. So. What do you need?
I've defeated Godrick
- Ah, you defeated Godrick and claimed yourself a Great Rune. Mm, looks like we both got what we wanted out of Stormveil, didn't we.
Well done, friend. Something to mark the occasion. Go on, take it.
[Gives you Rogier's Rapier]
As you might've guessed, I still can't move. My fighting days are behind me. No need to be polite, I've no use for it anymore.
- The misshapen corpse under Stormveil? That is a sacred relic. Of the black knives plot. As that famed night of assassination is known.
It happened during the Golden Age of the Erdtree, long before the shattering of the Elden Ring. Someone stole a fragment of the Rune of Death from Maliketh, the Black Blade. And on a bitter night, murdered Godwyn the Golden.
That was the first recorded Death of a demigod in all history. And it became the catalyst. Soon, the Elden Ring was smashed, and thus sprang forth the war known as the Shattering.
I once wished to become a scholar, you see. I've spent many an hour scouring the archives for knowledge of that fateful plot.
The world has grown crooked, and if you intend to put it to rights, you'd better understand what happened to make it this way, mm?
And...that thing is to blame for the shape I'm in now... I urge the utmost caution. Don't disturb the corpse more than necessary...
§Giving him the Black Knifeprint
- This...is a black knifeprint! I can scarcely believe you managed to get your hands on this!
You recall our conversation about the Night of the Black Knives, yes? They say the assassins who carried out the deed were scions of the Eternal City. A group entirely of women, arrayed in armour of silver under cloaks which fooled the eye.
The knives they wielded though, were imparted with the power of the Rune of Death through sinister rite.
Please, I beg of you, lend me the knifeprint for a time. I'd love nothing more than to tease out its secrets.
Though only a fragment, a very specific ritual had to be performed to impart the power of the Rune of Death. Traces of the one who performed the rite are sure to remain in the imprint...
Half my body has been suffused with Death. I'm certain it will help me see.
- Ahh, hello. I was hoping to see you.
My examination is complete. Here's the knifeprint back, with my thanks.
[Gives you Black Knifeprint]
Now, I have a fairly good idea who performed the rite upon the blade. The person who orchestrated the Night of the Black Knives.
Lunar Princess Ranni. One of the children born to King Consort Radagon and his first wife, Rennala. Demigod and sister to General Radahn and Praetor Rykard. Her's was the name I discovered in the imprint.
Truly, you have my thanks. But, if I might be so bold, I would also like to ask something more of you.
If Ranni truly is the one who plotted that fateful night, then she should bear the cursemark of Destined Death somewhere upon her flesh. I would like you to procure it for me. And then all will be laid bare. I will have the answers I have sought for so long.
§Why do you want a cursemark?
- I'm afraid there's something I must tell you.
Do you know of Those Who Live in Death?
The very notion of life in death defies the Golden Order.
By D's account, these defiled fiends must be expunged.
But truth be told, I seek the cursemark to save them.
You may find this peculiar,
but I discovered something in my examination of the Night of the Black Knives.
These souls have committed no offence. They have every right to life, only, they happened to touch upon a flaw in the Order.
Ranni cast off her cursemark
- I see... When Ranni shed her flesh, she shed the cursemark, too.
You know, not everyone would trust such a tale...
But, if she in her current form is nothing more than the living doll you profess...
Then perhaps it's true after all.
Hmm. Forgive the bluntness of the notion, but...
How would you like to become one of Ranni's vassals?
Ah, only in order to get what we want, of course.
The location of the body which bore the cursemark, which right now I haven't the faintest.
And the best way to find out is for you to enter her service and take a poke around on the sly.
I know you've got what it takes.
Not only are you a superb fighter, but people want to trust you. I've seen it.
- Can you become Ranni's vassal to advance our agenda?
While in her service, you'll be able to take a poke around on the sly.
And determine the location of her original body that bears the cursemark.
I realise that I'm asking you to put yourself in grave danger.
But I know you've got what it takes. Quite possibly the only one, in fact.
Talk (after entering Ranni's services)
- Hmm. Maybe I should tell you.
Lately, I feel I'm on the precipice...
Of falling into a deep...fathomless slumber.
And I have an inkling it could spell trouble for you, somehow.
So I just wanted to get the apology out of the way, beforehand.
Since you're so scary and all.
- Ah, so you've met D.
D is an old friend.
We found ourselves journeying together for a time, bound by our exploration of Death.
But our paths since diverged. Never again to cross.
Though that's hardly an uncommon fate for two friends.
- D was telling me. That he discovered the mark of the centipede. The centipede is an ancient symbol of the cursemark. As long as whoever finds and uses it is not nefarious by nature, then we may be able to form an alliance. If only I could speak to them in person. And if they were like you, all the better.
- Yes, indeed.
If D knew what drives me now, he would surely boil over with rage.
Or perhaps, he would even feel some pity.
But no need to fret, none of that will come to pass.
I can tell a good lie when I need to.
- Always good to see you safe. So. What do you need?
- They were conceived at the great Academy of Raya Lucaria, to the north of this castle. In the past, they obeyed laws which contravened the Golden Order, or so I'm told.
Fascinating, isn't it? That the Golden Order was pliable enough to absorb practices that contradicted itself in the past. With the Order broken, twisted, and in need of repair, such adaptability is more important now than ever.
Elden Ring Notes & Trivia for Rogier
- Can be summoned as a cooperator for the Margit, The Fell Omen boss fight. This summon sign is available long before you first find Rogier.
- Rogier will move to the Roundtable Hold regardless of whether you meet him or not prior to defeating Godrick.
- If you speak with D upon Rogier's arrival, D will inform you that Rogier has taken up on the Balcony near him, and remark on his condition.
- Speaking with Ranni and enlisting in her service before he requests it causes him to fall asleep and then die a while later (this happens regardless of whether you do his questline or not. The only difference is gaining extra information about Ranni and the Night of the Black Knives).
- Rogier will only die if you teleport in from a different site of grace, as teleporting from the same grace will simply have him in a constant state of sleep. As long as the Site of Grace you are teleporting from is not the Roundtable's Grace, he will die as expected.
- Rogier dying will not prevent the Ranni questline from continuing.
- Upon his death, he will leave behind his full armor set, his bell bearing, as well as a letter. Presumably, he would also drop his sword here if by chance he dies before Godrick is defeated.
- Interestingly enough, he will fall in deep slumber at the same time as Ranni. She mentions it after speaking with War Counselor Iji, Blaidd and Seluvis in her tower and then returning to her.
- Gives Rogier's Rapier+8 after defeating Godrick the Grafted.
- The player can skip having to defeat the Lesser Ulcerated Tree Spirit and activating Rogier's bloodstain by obtaining the Black Knifeprint from the Black Knife Catacombs in advance. Possessing the item will unlock the dialogue option for the rotting face without ever have seeing it. This also can be done without talking with Fia to obtain the map with the Knifeprint's location.
- He likely tampered with the face under Stormveil, and got afflicted with Death Blight, which left him crippled and would soon curse him to an eternal slumber.
Sorcerer Rogier Image Gallery