Starscourge Radahn is a Boss in Elden Ring.
This Elden Ring Starscourge Radahn Guide features boss locations, tips, strategies and videos on how to defeat Radahn easily, as well as boss stats and lore for Radahn.
Starscourge Radahn is heralded as one of the mightiest living demigods, having fought Malenia the Severed to a standstill during the war of the Shattering. However, his resulting affliction with the Scarlet Rot caused him to be driven to insanity, crippling him and reducing him to a state of feral rage. He is located in Caelid, where he can be accessed from Redmane Castle after activating the Radahn Festival by progressing far enough in Ranni's questline, or activating any site of grace in Altus Plateau.
Defeating this Boss is mandatory for at least one ending of the game and to complete certain NPC questlines. However he does not necessarily have to be defeated to finish the game. Radahn's boss fight is unique in that there are a great number of NPC summons available for the fight. When approaching him, make sure to use the terrain to your advantage to avoid his incoming ranged attacks. He drops the Remembrance of the Starscourge and Radahn's Great Rune when defeated.
Bosses are unique and challenging Enemies that can be encountered all over the Lands Between. Shardbearers drop their own unique Great Rune and Remembrance capable of being transformed into powerful Weapons, Spells, Ashes of War, and Talismans for the player.
The Red Lion General wielded gravitational powers which he learned in Selia during his younger days. All so he would never have to abandon his beloved but scrawny steed.
Elden Ring Starscourge Radahn Boss
Starscourge Radahn is a Demi-God Boss found in Wailing Dunes
- This is an optional Boss, depending on ending desired
- Only two shardbearers must be defeated to gain access to Leyndell.
- It is REQUIRED for at least one of the game's possible endings
- This is a Demi-God type Boss
- Closest Site of Grace: Chamber Outside the Plaza [Elden Ring Map Link]
- There is a Stake of Marika near teleport to boss fight arena
- Multiplayer is allowed for this Boss
- You can't summon Spirit Ashes for this Boss
- You can ride Torrent for this Boss, even after summoning NPCs.
- Iron Fist Alexander
- Great Horned Tragoth
- Lionel the Lionhearted
- Finger Maiden Therolina
- Castellan Jerren (after Phase 2 starts)
Elden Ring Starscourge Radahn Location
Starscourge Radahn Combat Information
- Health: NG (9572), NG+ (12405), NG++ (13646), NG+3 (14266), NG+4 (14866), NG+5 (16127), NG+6 (16747), NG+7 (17367)
- Defenses do not change between phases.
- Deals Standard, Pierce and Magic damage.
- Parriable: No
- Can be poise broken: Yes
- Poise: 200
- Can be riposted: Yes
The absorption numbers are the % of your damage that gets blocked. For example, if an absorption is 60, 40% of that damage by that type will go through and 60% is absorbed. Bigger number = less damage. An absorption of 100 means no damage goes through, and a resistance of -100 means the enemy takes 2x damage from that source. 0 means damage goes pretty much as is.
The resistance numbers are the buildup amount to trigger it. For example, if a resistance is 100 you must deal 100 points of whatever aux buildup to trigger it. Note that these go down over time, and increase each time the effect procs.
Results of Defeat on World
- Defeating this boss will have these results, possibly leading to missed content if NPCs/Quests/Other are not dealt with beforehand:
- Enia will become available in Roundtable Hold, if this is the first Great Rune holder that the Tarnished has defeated.
- Enia will handle Talisman Pouch, if it is the second Great Rune holder that the Tarnished has defeated
- Starfall Crater is formed and Nokron, Eternal City will become available.
- Earlier place was not indicated on the map, now Red Sign appears on the map.
- Ranni the Witch will return to Ranni's Rise, if she was not there before.
Elden Ring Starscourge Radahn Boss Guide
Starscourge Radahn Boss Video Guide
[video coming soon]
Starscourge Radahn Fight Strategy
- Torrent is available for this fight (unless other players are summoned in for co-op)
- The summon signs seen are NPC summons for the Festival Mechanic. They can be summoned with one button press and any number can be summoned at once. Upon death, their signs will reappear to summon again, though not necessarily in the same place as first summoned.
- With the summons, it is possible (if slow) to complete the fight without attacking Radahn directly.
- Radahn will start shooting magic arrows immediately upon entering the arena
- These can be blocked with a shield, but will do heavy magic damage. They will kill most players in one hit.
- The arrows home so accurately that they are usually not possible to dodge without the use of i-frames, such as rolling or mounting/dismounting Torrent. As always, rolling toward the source of a projectile will make it easier to dodge.
- Debris on the battlefield will block the arrows once, as the arrow will destroy the debris instead of hitting the player. The first two groups of summon signs are behind such debris.
- The arrow barrage Radahn fires in the air ("Radahn's Rain") will also home in on you. It is easier to dodge on Torrent, but is possible to outrun on foot if you run directly perpendicular to Radahn.
- A reliable approach is to raise your shield when you enter the arena and approach the first group of summon signs. Summon all available NPCs, using the debris next to their signs for cover, and advance to the next group with your shield up. Keep an eye on Radahn: at some point he pulls back his bow without the magical energy charges, signaling you to get on your horse and begin strafing to avoid his spear-arrow attacks. Once you get close enough, Radahn will pull out his swords and begin his melee attacks, at which point you can begin the fight. At this point, if you're on horseback it should be safe to run away a bit and heal the chip damage from his arrow attacks.
- If the player stays a far enough distance away, he will become unable to perform his arrow wall attack, making the opening sequence of the fight a lot easier. In terms of proximity, avoid going past the first 3 summon signs you see until one of them has had the opportunity to make Radahn switch to his Melee stance. After which you are fine to continue moving forward and collect the missing summon signs.
- Almost all of Radahn's ranged attacks, including his magic arrow and both of his magic rock and sphere projectiles will likely kill in one hit. The magic arrows are best dodged with i-frames or blocked. The magic rocks and magic spheres can be dodged with i-frames or by sprinting perpendicularly to Radahn on Torrent.
- Radahn is extremely weak to Scarlet Rot. Inflicting it on him once will bring him down to half health in a short time. Inflicting it on him again near the start of the second phase will kill him in a short time. By far the easiest way to win the fight is to hit him with Rotten Breath, which will require two successful hits to inflict Scarlet Rot.
- Suggested weapon: Antspur Rapier (DEX/ARC)
Phase 1 100% health - 75%
During the first phase he will have a few attacks but he moves around a lot on horse back, a fast weapon with bleed is effective against Radahn, such as the uchigatana, bloodhounds fang or the hookclaws, most of the time the summoned NPC's will keep the aggro off of you which will allow you to get a few chain attacks before the next phase, the bleed builds up quick allowing for a massive and quick damage output but beware of the phase change at around 75% health where he clangs his two great swords and slams them into the ground in front of him, this is another short window for 1 or 2 more attacks before he pulls them out and swing back into the ground doing a gravity magic attack that pulls in and stuns everyone around before doing another attack that deals a heavy amount of damage.
Phase 1.5: 75% - 50%
During this phase he gains a few new ranged attacks but it is overall the same as the first phase, some NPC's may die but they can be re-summoned mid battle after a short cooldown, just be wary of his rush attacks and continue to do damage in small intervals while occasionally running away to heal on horse back.
Phase 2: 50% - 0%
During phase 2 (final phase) he will leap into the air and seem to vanish, which gives a small window to heal and re-summon any fallen allies. But be careful, you need to watch the sky because he will come crashing back into the arena in a fiery ball like a meteor. This can be avoided on horseback but if hit you will most likely be instantly killed. When he lands he will have 4 boulders that will rise up and surround him, which will shoot towards you at very high speed and will instakill if you are not using a heavy shield. These fire right before he uses his drill attack. The rest of the fight you should only be re-summoning NPC's as it is too risky to fight face-to-face. Many of his hits will do very heavy damage; you should only go for hits if you feel you have a chance. He has 3 different AoE attack to watch for: Gravitas Pull has a massive range around him that will pull you right towards him (it can be dodged), with Gravitas Wave he'll jump up into the air with his blades in a X shape and when he hits the ground a massive wave of energy will be fired in a cone that will knock you down (it can be rolled through and jumped over on horseback), and with Drill Blades he'll rise into the air and spin towards you at high speed dealing heavy damage (it can be rolled though with good timing).
Magic and Ranged Users
Rock Sling with the Meteorite Staff is a viable strategy, 3-4 shots can bring Radahn to his knees. Beware of his impressive range, Radahn can close any distance between him and you in seconds. Keeping him at the very edge of your range is a crucial part of fighting him. As long as there are NPC to distract him, the fight is not too hard.
Loretta's Greatbow can also be very effective while on horseback, although it does take much longer to cast. Magic Glintblade is a safer, faster alternative, but be wary that overzealous casting can trap you in your casting animation, leaving you easy prey for Radahn.
It is recommended to avoid using Thops' Barrier. It will reduce the damage of certain magical attacks, but will still force the player prone after the attack, leading to Radahn almost definitely killing the player anyways. Thops' Barrier will not work what-so-ever on the arrows, and his multi-Gravitas will deal less damage but leave the player prone. It is currently unknown if Thops' Barrier has any effect on Radahn's quad-Rock Sling attack.
Rotten Breath: Two fully charged casts of Rotten Breath will drain 100% of Radahn's HP, he is extremely vulnerable to this incantation. Use Torrent since it can be cast on horseback. The tricky part is timing it properly so that the cloud makes full contact and doesn't miss. The best opening is when he pauses, either during an animation or after finishing his combo, and is about to be hit by a summon. Time your cast to make contact just after he gets hit by a summon, this causes him to focus the summon and not you. Once the full cast hits, you'll know he's rotted by the HP bar ticking down and seeing the brown cloud. The rot persists through his phase change, so wait for it to run out entirely before casting again. Using Godrick's Great Rune and Two Fingers Heirloom gives all classes the proper stats. One fully charged cast of Rotten Breath costs 104 FP so be sure to have the necessary FP.
Horseback cheese: Radahn is a unique shardbearer boss for two reasons. One, allies from the festival can be summoned an unlimited number of times. Two, Torrent can be used in the arena. These mechanics can be cheesed to make this fight relatively easy. Radahn has a high number of melee and AoE strikes, but not many ranged attacks. By using summons to keep him busy, you can ride around hitting him with projectiles causing poison, bleed, or other ailments to chunk down his HP. If you keep a safe distance and watch your recovery time, it's possible to avoid all his attacks by sprinting. As your allies get killed off, find their signs to resummon them. Their signs will typically appear on the peaks of the sand dunes. So long as you keep summoning and remain at a distance, you shouldn't have much trouble with this fight. Rinse and repeat the process until he eventually dies.
Starscourge Radahn Attacks & Counters
|Gravity Arrow||While at a long range, Radahn will charge his arrows with gravity magic, before firing it. The arrow itself home onto you, and can deal enough damage to knock you off of Torrent. He will usually target the player with this attack.||Dodge accordingly. You can use the terrain or obstacles to block the arrows if needed.|
|Radahn's Rain||While at a long range, Radahn will draw back his bow and fire into the air, causing arrows to rain down from the sky, which track the player down.||Get onto Torrent and run perpendicular to him.|
|Scattering Shot||Radahn will draw his bow and fire a large spread of arrows. This attack is quite inaccurate, but can hit multiple targets.||Dodge as needed. You can use the terrain or obstacles to block the arrows if needed.|
|Savage Slams and Sweeps||Radahn will sometimes attack with semi random sweeps and slams. Most of the time these will be isolated, but he can chain them together up to (typically) a chain of 4.||These attacks are slow and predictable. Dodge them in isolation. If he chains 2 slams together, it means he will chain 2 more after. If you notice this, dodge towards him. You are safe under him until he finishes the chain. Get a few free hits in and dodge away when his chain is done.|
|Double Slam||Radahn will jump with both blades above his head and slam them down together.||His attack down is faster than expected. It is better to dodge early rather than later. This heavy attack can do heavy damage since you will be hit by both blades. You can either dodge away freely or can dodge towards him for extra damage. It will take Radahn some time to recover from this attack.|
|Dive Attack||Radahn roars with his blades at his side. He then dives forward, swinging twice slowly, then 3 times in quick succession and ending with a ground sweep.||Dodge the first slam early and the second slam late. Dodge his next 3 attacks in a similar manner. The sweep can be avoided by rolling or by being too close to Radahn.
Alternatively, you can dodge or run towards him and stand under his feet. From here you cannot be hit and can get free greed damage. Try to stay on his right side, as his final sweep can damage you. The wind of his final sweep can damage you as well, so dodge it and get out from under him. After phase 1.5, on the final sweep make sure to either be far enough behind him that the gravity wave will miss you or be far enough away to give yourself time to dodge it.
|Gravity Step||While close to Radahn, his foot will surge with gravity energy. 0.25 seconds later he will quickly step back and sweep everything that was close to where he was standing.||This attack is dangerous when you are close. Watch for when gravity surges through his leg and immediately dodge. When he makes his wide swing, either dodge towards him to get extra greed damage, or dodge away for safety.|
|Quick Swings||Radahn will build up with both blades on his right side. His left arm will be across his body, with the blade horizontal with his shoulder. His right arm will be vertical above his right shoulder with his right blade vertical above his head. After a 3 second build up, he will sweep with his left blade followed by a slam with his right. He will immediately sweep back with his left blade from the other side with no delay. He will pause for 0.5 seconds with both his blades on his right side. He will spin with a wide swing of both blades on opposite sides of himself, traveling a large distance. Finally after 0.5 seconds, he will spin with both blades close together on his right.||It is possible to stand below Radahn to avoid these attacks, but it is very dangerous, especially after phase 1.5. It is more consistent to avoid his attacks. Be patient during his build up. Dodge left through his first sweep. He should miss you with the immediate slam. Instantly dodge back to the right into his second sweep. Wait 0.5 seconds for his double sweep. Dodge through it to the left. Wait 0.5 seconds again for his final sweep. If you dodge to your front right, you will end close to him and you can get a few free hits in. If you dodge back left of his final attack, you will have a moment to heal if needed.|
|Forward Slam||While close to Radahn, he will sometimes lay both of his blades on top of each other in front of his face and slam forward.||Radahn will use this to punish greedy attacks. While right next to him, if you see him lean back with his blades in front of his face, immediately dodge. He will take a moment to recover from this attack. Either dodge forward to get some greedy damage, or dodge away to recompose.|
|Chasing Slash||Radahn will begin to chase and circle around you while he is close. Depending on which way he is circling you, his one blade will be trailing him. After a long build up, he will make a wide swing.||It is very easy to panic roll during this attack. When you notice him chasing you with one of his blades trailing, count 3 seconds and dodge.|
|Quick Spin||Radahn will make 2 spins with quick sweeps all around him. While spinning, he will move quickly and typically move away from you.||Stay away from this attack, as it can stunlock and lead you to an early death.|
Cragblade (Phase 1.5)
|Radahn will move to stand in front of you and clash his blades together. After he will slam straight down and burry his blades in the ground. Gravity will start to surge through his body and blades. When he pulls his blades out of the ground, they will be covered with rocks, causing them to deal extra damage. He will then gain a few new moves after this.||Use this opportunity to hit him a few times or heal. He will usually do Starcaller Cry immediately after this transition.|
|Radahn will cross his swords and release a mighty roar, causing everything around him to be pulled in, similar to Gravitas. He may also do a follow-up, where he slams his swords down in front of him, causing an explosion.||Riding on Torrent will either knock you down, or simply deal damage. If you do get pulled in, make sure to immediately get behind him to avoid the follow-up attack.|
|Cross Dive||Only after phase 1.5, Radahn will run away roaring on his horse. He will turn to face you and charge with both his blades crossed in front of him. When he gets close he will jump up and dive down quickly. A gravity wave will irrupt from him. After phase 2, if he has his meteors up, he will send those to attack||-|
|Gravity Waves||Only after phase 1.5, Radahn will charge his attacks with gravity magic. At the end of attack chains when he does this, he will send out a wave of gravity magic. He will do this on 3 different attacks. As the last part of his cross dive, as the final sweep of his dive attack, and as a stand alone attack where he digs into the earth before sending the wave||After phase 1.5, you need to be less greedy and watch for this. It can be deadly if too close but easy to dodge when far enough away. If possible, get onto Torrent and double jump over the wave. Otherwise, it is easier to jump over instead of dodging through it.|
|Collapsing Stars||Only after phase 1.5, Radahn will slam his swords on the ground, sending out a pulse of gravity magic around himself in a dome. Multiple gravity orbs will then appear. After a short delay, they will start flying towards you. If they hit, they will drag you closer to Radahn.||Dodge as needed or run perpendicular to him on Torrent. Getting hit by even one can cause you to get hit by the rest, which will also bring you closer to Radahn, giving him an opportunity to hit you with melee. If you are on foot, just dodge to the sides.|
|Radahn slams his swords on the ground, before leaping into the air. After a delay, Radahn will fly back into the arena, crashing back to the ground in a glorious explosion. Radahn will use this move when transitioning into phase 2, and every three minutes after that.||Heal up as needed. You have a long time here. When you hear the roaring of his flames, look for him. He tends to be in the direction you were facing when he jumped. Ride Torrent perpendicular as soon as the sky goes red and you see Radahn entering the arena. This will likely kill any NPCs remaining, so make sure to go out of your way to re-summon them.|
|Meteor Summon||Only after phase 2. Radahn will slam both blades into the ground. After some build up, he will pull his blades out of the ground and 4 meteors will be flying around him. He may release these to fly at his target at any time.||Be prepared to dodge once the meteors are released. They will curved in an arc to catch you. Getting off of Torrent and dodging them can help.|
|Spiralling Death||Only after phase 2, Radahn will quickly move back and hover in the air. He will then begin spinning like a drill while charging at his targets twice in a row.||Dodge to the sides or use Torrent and run away.|
Starscourge Radahn Lore, Notes & Other Trivia
- Radahn is one of the 3 children of Radagon and Rennala (along with Ranni and Rykard), making him one of the 8 Demi-Gods of the Lands Between. This is especially obvious considering that he has his father’s red hair, and his mother’s fascination for the stars, leading to his mastery of gravity and nickname as “Conqueror of the Stars.”
- He is one of the last Demi-Gods at war for control of the Great Runes after the shattering of the Elden Ring. His duel with Malenia resulted in their mutual defeat and the land of Caelid becoming plagued with scarlet rot, with which Malenia was afflicted with at birth. (This is likely Malenia’s first or second bloom, referenced in the Scarlet Aeonia description. It blooms for the third time when the player fights her, in which she becomes the Goddess of Rot).
- His Gravity Magic was learnt from an Alabaster Lord and both Collapsing Stars and Gravity Well are two of the gravitational techniques studied by the young Radahn.
- He was accidentally nerfed, correcting his hitboxes, but reducing his damage output. The damage has been returned to normal, and his hitboxes are now fixed.
- According to the game files, his horse’s name is Leonard. He learned gravity magic in order not to impair his horse, now that he had grown too large to properly ride it. While preparing his Meteor Crash attack, Leonard is pushed underground.
- Starscourge Radahn's poise is the highest raw value of that type in Elden Ring (excluding Spirit Ashes).
- However, is effective poise is at the same level, as there is no poise-damage reduction multiplier. In terms of "effective poise", value attributed to Radahn is not the highest.
Collecting one half of the Dectus Medallion and meeting Alexander will trigger the Radahn Festival.
If the player explores Redmane Castle before activating the Grand Lift of Dectus, the area will have multiple enemies and an extra duo boss fight (Misbegotten Warrior and Crucible Knight) before the main boss of Redmane Castle (Radahn). Jerren will also be there, introducing himself and asking the player if they enjoy festivals.
If the player is attempting Ranni's questline, Blaidd is also be there.
Due to the nature and premise of the fight, the encounter allows you to summon a greater number of NPCs than normally possible to aid you. The maximum amount of NPC summons allowed for the fight appears to be 6, as summoning a 6th will make the straggler(s) signs unavailable for a while.
Summon signs are placed below one of the multiple spectral banners shown above the arena, and appear to cycle between banners every once in a while. It's currently unknown if the cycling is random or not, but if a summon sign is not available for a longer than usual period of time, try a different banner.
If any of the allies fall in battle, you can resummon them after a 25 second delay. Each of the ten banners scattered across the arena has a set pool of summon signs specific to the festival attendees that can spawn under it, and each summon sign is only available once, meaning there is a finite number of summons the player can perform. That being said, it is entirely possible for the summons to defeat Radhan with no help from the player, other than resummoning them, and maybe coaxing Theodora close to Rahdan so she actually attacks him.
If you travel too far from Radahn, the summons will return to their world and their summon signs will not reappear.
The list of summonable cooperators:
- Blaidd the Half-Wolf
- Primarily attacks using his Royal Greatsword, sometines using its skill, Wolf's Assault. He is very tanky, and will often survive through many attacks. He is also the fastest of all the summons. His high heath could allow him to survive Radahn’s Meteor Crash attack.
- Progress through Blaidd's or Ranni's questline is not necessary for him to appear at the festival, meaning it can be the first time the player encounters him.
- Blaidd has total of 6 summon signs.
- Alexander the Warrior Jar
- Alexander will fight by swinging his arms, occasionally doing a spinning attack. He will also sometimes perform an area-of-effect slam with his fist. He is by far the slowest of the summons, but is very tanky.
- Alexander has total of 3 summon signs.
- Great Horned Tragoth
- Primarily fights with melee using the Giant-Crusher and an Arbalest in his offhand.
- When first summoned, he will perform the Casual Greeting gesture, granting it to the player. He will perform the gesture every instance of his "first summon", effectively making him the slowest NPC to make their way to Radahn for the first time.
- Tragoth has total of 6 summon signs.
- It's been noted that if he was assassinated for the Volcano Manor, he does not appear as a summon.
- Will only be available as a summon if you spared him after his boss fight in Murkwater Cave.
- Flees from the fight after being summoned, making his other two summon signs unavailable. He will stand around idly, cowering behind his greatshield.
- Lionel the Lionhearted
- Will primarily utilize melee attacks with his Great Epee, though he tends to approach slowly on some summons and bull-rush on others.
- He will occasinally cast Rancorcall, summoning many skull projectiles that home in on Radahn. He is tankier than most, but does not deal a great amount of damage.
- Lionel has total of 6 summon signs.
- Fights primarily with melee using Rivers of Blood and the Wakizashi. He will sometimes use its skill, Corpse Piler. With enough hits, it's possible for him to proc Bleed.
- He is very aggressive, but also quite frail. He is usually the first summon to fall in battle.
- Okina has total of 5 summon signs.
- Finger Maiden Therolina
- Will be available for the fight regardless of your progression in Ranni or Seluvis's questlines, and will provide the Polite Bow gesture if spoken to before the festival begins.
- In combat, she attacks by throwing Holy Water Pots. When an ally needs healing, she will occasionally cast Great Heal. Unfortunately, she seems to only do so if player is very close by to the boss, and will opt to chase the player down rather than the boss, unlike other summons. This can make her seem useless for ranged players, as you'll generally be staying away from Radahn so he doesn't smite you between NPC deaths and re-summons.
- Despite her tendency to prioritize healing, if other summons are low on health, she seems to mostly - if not completely - disregard the player's health. However, she does not seem to make any effort to actually move to the NPCs she's attempting to heal, making her more or less become a sitting duck for several seconds. If the target she's attempting to heal doesn't have its HP increased, she will attempt to keep healing them until either they go above a certain threshold, die, or the player wanders too far from the target.
- Therolina is scripted to follow the player instead of attacking Radahn. So player needs to stay close to the other summons if they want to make full use of her healing
- Therolina has total of 5 summon signs.
- Castellan Jerren
- He is only be available for the 2nd phase of the fight.
- Does good damage attacking with his Flamberge with the Flaming Strike Ash of War, but he cannot tank quite as well.
- Progress through Sellen's questline does not seem to determine whether or not he's available for the fight, as Radahn must be killed in order for Jerren to move in accordance with Sellen's quest.
- Jerren has total of 6 summon signs.
Starscourge Radahn Image Gallery