Ulcerated Tree Spirit
Mountaintop of Giants:
|HP||≈ 17,428 (Field Boss)|
Ulcerated Tree Spirit is a Boss in Elden Ring. Ulcerated Tree Spirit looks like a corrupted and deformed tree and is found in Mt.Gelmir. This is an optional boss, as players don't need to defeat it in order to advance in Elden Ring. However, doing so yields useful Items and Runes.
Elden Ring Ulcerated Tree Spirit Boss
- This is an optional boss.
- Closest Site of Grace: Stranded Graveyard.
- This boss can be fought in multiplayer.
- The player can summon spirit ashes for this boss.
- Drops Golden Seed and Glovewort Picker's Bell Bearing (2)
Elden Ring Ulcerated Tree Spirit Location
- An optional variation of the boss can also be encountered at Fringefolk Hero's Grave, which is located next to Stranded Graveyard's site of grace, behind the fog gate, which you remove by using 2 Stonesword Keys on the imp statues there. Elden Ring Map Link.
- This variant drops 15000 Runes (NG+ 72,000), Banished Knight Oleg's ashes and a Golden Seed and it can be fought in multiplayer.
- A non-boss version can be found in Stormveil Castle , at the bottom of a gutter near the Liftside Chamber site of grace. Defeating it grants a Golden Seed, and it guards the Prince of Death's Pustule talisman.
- A non-boss version can be found in Grand Cloister. It spawns upon approaching the waterfall found on the north side of Grand Cloister after climbing down from the Grand Cloister Site of Grace. It drops a Golden Seed upon defeat.
- A variant can be found within the Giant's Mountaintop Catacombs located in the Mountaintops of the Giants region. Defeating it grants 48,000 Runes, a Golden Seed, and a Glovewort Picker's Bell Bearing . It is guarding a chest containing a Deathroot. Elden Ring Map Link.
- A non-boss variant can be found in Elphael, Brace of the Haligtree. It is hiding beneath the second lake of rot, past the second set of branches inside the inner walls. It will emerge as you approach the lake. It drops a Golden Seed upon defeat. [Elden Ring Map Link]
- It can be found at Mt Gelmir, east of the Road of Iniquity site of grace. Drops Leaden Hardtear and Cerulean Hidden Tear. Elden Ring Map Link.
Ulcerated Tree Spirit Combat Information
- Health: NG (6147), NG+ (??), NG++ (??), NG+3 (??), NG+4 (??), NG+5 (??), NG+6 (??), NG+7 (??)
- Defenses do not change between phases - a firebomb will do the same damage in phase 1 as in phase 2.
- Deals Standard Damage and Holy Damage (2nd phase).
- Parriable: No
- Can be poise broken: Yes. Can be riposted afterwards.
- Takes more damage from headshots
The absorption numbers are the % of your damage that gets blocked. For example if an absorption is 60. 40% of that damage by that type will go through and 60% is absorbed. Bigger number= less damage. An absorption of 100 means no damage goes through, and a resistance of -100 mean the enemy takes 2x damage from that source. 0 means damage goes pretty much as is.
The resistance numbers is the buildup amount to trigger it. For example if a resistance is 100 you must deal 100 points of whatever aux buildup to trigger it. Note that these go down over time, and increase each time the effect procs.
Elden Ring Ulcerated Tree Spirit Boss Guide
Ulcerated Tree Spirit Boss Video Guide
[Insert Video Here]
Ulcerated Tree Spirit Fight Strategy
"Don't Panic" is the motto of the Ulcerated Tree Spirit fight. Most of the times when it's flopping around it won't damage you, so learning when the few times that touching it hurts is the key to this fight.
Setup: Shield and enough armor to survive its bite attack.
Optional Setup: Holy Defense and Fire Damage, such as Fire Pots and Fire Grease
The most important thing to watch out for is the roar before the bite attack. Immediately after the roar, it will crawl up on the wall and charging at you with mouth wide open! Shift left when you see it and you should avoid it. Be ready to roll if it is too close.
Phase 1: Keep pushing towards his left side with your shield up until you are in range. If your Guard Boost is too low, it will stagger you, but its melee attacks are slow enough that you can recover before the next one starts. If it starts a breath attack, get in close if you are near enough, and run to the side if you are not. You can get some solid swings in while it is breathing everywhere else.
Learn the one crawling animation that does damage you from touching its entire body and avoid t.
Watch out for the start of Phase 2, since it does a large AOE with lightning strikes when it first transitions. It can do this AOE later in the fight as well, so continue to watch for the windup. If you are already far, run away. If you are close, move away with your shield up and just eat the damage.
Phase 2: The Tree Spirit starts doing holy damage with its attacks, so blocking with your shield will do chip damage to you. Don't Panic. The strategy is the same as phase 1, but hopefully you've got some timings down and can roll through a few of his melee attacks. Don't be afraid to take the chip damage on your shield instead of a full strength attack.
Repeat enough times to learn the windups and you'll be able to pick out the ones where there's enough time for a charged attack or multiple attacks. Eventually, you'll put this tree back in the ground.Some more specific attack patterns for roll-focused characters:
Starting off the fight, it will either lumber toward you and prepare for melee combat, or it will charge at you for its three-hit, double-charge combo. For the Double charge, dodge LEFT then LEFT again, then wait until you see it climb the wall and wind up, then dodge LEFT one more time to avoid the grab. Now, once you are in the fight, it is recommended to stay close to the boss's left arm (right side looking at the beast) where it meets the ground. You can punish almost every melee move with multiple light attacks and this strategy mostly keeps it from using the dangerous yellow breath attacks.
So if it claw swipes, dodge RIGHT, read for another move, then get in a light attack and repeat. If it raises its claw to stomp, then roll RIGHT, count two stomps with the claw you just avoided, then jump attack and reset. If it flops its neck down, roll RIGHT, turn to your left and get a couple of light attacks, then read its next move and reset. If it starts winding up its tail, back away from it then Dodge Roll right, then punish with a jump attack. Finally, if it hunkers down and cranes his neck up and begins to glow, SPRINT AWAY quickly. This is the beginning of phase two and the explosion will kill you or lower your health to where you can be killed easily. It is a grind in the early game because of the beast's high HP, but you can do it! Study the moves and develop a reaction to each one.
One weakness of the Tree Spirit is that its claw and mouth attacks can often overshoot the player. Staying as close as possible allows for easy damage, only being threatened by the tail whip attack. The whip can be blocked with a decent amount of stamina, since there's enough time after the block to recover from a stagger.
Magic and Ranged Users
You should bully him like a melee build. It is so large that you can't really make a gap that it won't immediately close, and it will also go for a bite attack if you get too far out. Don't start any attacks straight in front of it unless you're sure it's not about to go for a breath attack, and try to shoot for its side after it flops past you.
If you stagger the Ulcerated Tree Spirit during its phase-change animation (the move where it explodes with golden light), the AI of the boss will stop acting in any way. This will allow you to damage the boss however you see fit from safety. Be warned however that after about 8 seconds after the AI stops functioning, the boss will resume moving. So it is in your best interest to continue staggering and Critical Hitting the boss so that it remains immobile while you work towards defeating it.
Ulcerated Tree Spirit Attacks & Counters
|Double Charge||It roars and lunges at you, then writhes once with its body, then climbs the wall and lunges again. The 2nd lunge is a deadly grab.||Roll LEFT, roll LEFT again, wait for it to climb the wall, the avoid the 2nd lunge with another roll LEFT.|
|Charge Grab||It roars, climbs the wall, then lunges at you for a deadly grab.||When you notice it climb the wall, roll LEFT as it charges.|
|Yellow Spew||Its mouth will glow yellow and it will shoot a long-distance spew of yellow fire.||
If you are at a distance, sprint horizontally and then approach him to punish once out of the line of fire.
|Charge then Spew||It will perform "Charge Grab" then coil up and spew fire right below its head.||Avoid charge like normal, then sprint to its leftish belly (right side looking at the beast) and punish.|
|Claw Swipes||It will swipe with its left claw, hesitate briefly, and then swipe with its right claw.||
Roll THROUGH each swipe. So roll LEFT then roll RIGHT.
|Get Off Me Swipe||It will swipe with its claw on whichever side you are on front-to-back to clear you off of its side.||
Roll THROUGH. If you are approaching to the right, the claw will come from the left, and vice versa. This attack can have a follow up, see below.
|Tail Swipe||It will wrap its tail around its back then swipe it right to left if looking at it head on.||
Back away from it as it winds up, then roll RIGHT, and sprint to punish.
|Claw/Tail Combo||It will perform "Get Off Me Swipe" and follow up with a jumping "Tail Swipe"||
Roll THROUGH then hesitate a short moment, then roll RIGHT through tail.
|Claw Stomp||It will raise its claw and stomp in a 1-2-1 rhythm. So two stomps on the side that it stomps first, and one on the other side.||
Roll out of the way of the first stomp, then wait until second stomp happens then punish. HIGHLY PUNISHABLE because it never changes or adds a follow up.
|Swipe then Pound||It will perform one claw swipe from the right looking at it head on, then it will raise both claws together in a pounding motion.||
Roll through the first swipe, then SPRINT to its belly (off-center) and the pound will miss you. Punish with a few light attacks.
|Neck Flop||It will flop its head over and slam its neck down directly in front of itself. May follow up with another neck flop or a neck swipe.||
Roll RIGHT out of the way, turn to your left and punish with 2 light attacks.
|Neck Swipe||It will roll its neck to the right (its left) and wind up a heavy swipe that will hit for over half your health.||
This attack has a massive windup. Be patient, then dodge through to the RIGHT. Similar to the Tail Swipe, I had more luck avoiding this by being slightly further away from its body then by being up against it.
|Yellow Fire Explosion||It will hunker down, and crane its head up, beginning to glow with yellow fire. Yellow fire will blaze at random points on the floor of the arena.||
This seems to have 2 hit boxes. An AOE explosion around the beast that will WRECK you and stun you and an AOE on each pillar of yellow fire that blasts upward from the marked places on the floor. As soon as you notice this move, SPRINT away while being mindful to avoid the pillars that will soon form by watching the floor.
Ulcerated Tree Spirit Lore, Notes & Other Trivia
- Voice Actor: ??
- Variation from Stormveil Castle can be killed with ranged weapons/spells with ease - the player should place summoning sign near 2nd boss fight from that area and run to area from that side. If the player manage to get summoned shortly before ascending to the area, where Tree Spirit appears, the player will spot him with most of his attacks being harmless.
- Inside game code covering this boss AI there is a reference to "Snake Soul" - a boss concept that was planned for Dark Souls 3.
- Tree Spirit bear some resemblance to Pus of Man, an enemy from Dark Souls 3.
- Other Notes and Trivia Go Here
Ulcerated Tree Spirit Image Gallery