War Counselor Iji is an NPC in Elden Ring. War Counselor Iji (first encountered as Smithing Master Iji) is a gentle Troll in charge of the smithing for the Carian royals, but will also provide his services to the player.
Find him by heading north into the slopes of Western Liurnia of the Lakes.
I am Iji. A blacksmith who once served the Carian royals. An old codger who refuses to retire his rusty hammer. So, here I am, still quietly plying my trade, on this spot.
War Counselor Iji Location in Elden Ring
War Counselor Iji is found in various locations:
- Initially found as Smithing Master Iji in the north-western section of Liurnia of the Lakes, past Northern Liurnia Lake Shore and just by the Kingsrealm Ruins. [Map Link]
- Encountered in spectral form at Ranni's Rise in the Three Sisters sub-region of Liurnia. [Map Link]
- Offers Smithing Upgrades
- This NPC is involved in quests
- This NPC does not move
- This merchant cannot be fought, as he would simply disappear.
Elden Ring War Counselor Iji Shop
|Item Name||Item Type||Purchase Value||Stock|
|Somber Smithing Stone ||Upgrade Materials||2000||Unlimited|
|Somber Smithing Stone ||Upgrade Materials||3000||Unlimited|
|Somber Smithing Stone ||Upgrade Materials||4000||3|
|Somber Smithing Stone ||Upgrade Materials||6000||3|
|Carian Filigreed Crest*||Talismans||5000||1|
* Must be unlocked during Blaidd's quest.
War Counselor Iji Questline: How to complete War Counselor Iji's Quest
- Iji is first encountered as Smithing Master Iji by the Kingsrealm Ruins in northwest Liurnia. He provides Blacksmithing services.
Hidden Treasure of Nokron
- After speaking to Ranni the Witch for the first time at Ranni's Rise and agreeing to serve her, she asks that you speak to three people in her service. One of these is War Counselor Iji. He appears in spectral form on the first floor of the tower by the lift and acknowledges working with you.
- After completing Blaidd's quest and defeating him, talking to War Counselor Iji with the "Blaidd's Death" option will result in dialogue where he discusses Blaidd and his death, stating that he will "follow [Blaidd] soon". After leaving the area and returning, the player will find Iji dead and covered in black flame. Iji's Bell Bearing and Iji's Mirrorhelm can be found on the anvil. The bodies of three Black Knife Assassins will be on the ground nearby.
Dialogue in Elden Ring: War Counselor Iji
- Well. Look at you. We don't receive many visitors. I presume you are a Tarnished. What brings you here? Oh, pardon me. It's hardly my place to ask, is it. I am Iji. A blacksmith who once served the Carian royals. An old codger who refuses to retire his rusty hammer. So, here I am, still quietly plying my trade, on this spot. Perhaps you'd like a display? These bones are old, but still able.
Please Take Care
- Oh, watch out, there. If you come too close, I'm apt to cause you harm. I am, after all, terribly large compared to you, Tarnished. You don't know how hard it is not to break anything while I work.
- Brave Tarnished. A word of warning, if you please. This territory once belonged to the Carian royal family. Their manor lies not far beyond this point. When the Raya Lucaria Academy turned on the Carians, the Knights of the Cuckoo descended on this tract. After leveling it, they carried on to the manor. The Carians were taken off guard, but their strength had not waned, and they repelled the knights' onslaught...By conjuring an enchanted snare that remains potent to this day. That is why I say, Tarnished. Don't go near the manner. Unless you wish to lie with the corpses of the heedless Knights of the Cuckoo.
Blaidd sent me
- Blaidd actually did that, did he? Quite a rare occurrence, for such a guarded soul as he. Perhaps he sensed something unusual about you. At any rate, if you're friendly with Blaidd, I've something else that might suit you.
- I've explained the peril. Of the enchanted snare that remains at the royal Carian Manor. Whatever you do, brave Tarnished, stay away from that deathtrap.
At Ranni's Rise
- Oh, so you were the one. Lady Ranni has explained everything. Again, I am Iji. The Carian royal family's dedicated blacksmith, and Lady Ranni's war counsellor. I am told that you are searching for Nokron with Blaidd. I will give you whatever guidance I can. And pray for your success. My apologies for the misleading words of warning. I never imagined that an audience, let alone service to Lady Ranni was in your fate. I, for one, should have seen it, but I did not. Do forgive me, my fellow. Let us give all that we can of ourselves. Together, for Lady Ranni.
- Blaidd is Lady Ranni's stepbrother. Ranni's mother, Queen Rennala, approved of him, and they played like siblings from childhood. They were always happy to have me tag along, as well. When Lady Ranni renounced her flesh, and chose the dark path of the Empyrean, Blaidd and I swore allegiance as vassals, but none of us will ever forget our earliest days together. Promise to look after Blaidd for me, will you? The man is honest to a fault. But fortunately, now he has you.
- Jerren. Now, that's a name I haven't heard for a while. Before taking up the banner of General Radahn, he was a guest of the Carian royal family. An expert swordsman, to be sure, but ever the eccentric. No surprise he'd get wrapped up in some festival. Oh, no, wait... How did I not see it before? I ought to retire as war counsellor for such a gross oversight! Let me explain. The fate of the Carian royal family is guided by the stars. As is the fate of Lady Ranni, first heir in the Carian royal line. But General Radahn is the conqueror of the stars. Who stood up to the swirling constellations, halting their movement in a smashing victory. And so, if General Radahn were defeated, the stars would once again resume their movement. As would Lady Ranni's destiny. Perhaps, even, revealing the elusive path. That leads to Nokron.
Please go to the festival grounds
- Go with Blaidd to the festival grounds. Should General Radahn be defeated, the stars would once again resume their movement. Perhaps revealing the elusive path to Nokron.
After defeating Radahn
- Ah, you've finally come. Blaidd told me everything. You've defeated General Radahn, unlocking the stars. The General was blighted by scarlet rot and driven to madness, but not long ago he was hailed as the mightiest demigod of them all. There is no parallel to your achievement. Nor to Lady Ranni's acute judgment of character. Thanks to you, Lady Ranni's fate once again stirs, and the path to Nokron has opened. Descend underground where the fallen star struck Limgrave. And make it yours. The precious treasure of Nokron.
About Jerren (after defeating Radahn)
- Now the festival is over, and General Radahn is defeated... Jerren's duties are finally fulfilled. Though we served different masters, I could see he was truly adept in his role. Now the time has come to remind him of an old promise made. With the starts of fate set into motion, a certain sorceress is dispossessed of her immortality... Finally, we can be rid of a longstanding Carian weed...
Talk (after Ranni’s quest)
- Oh, there you are. Good of you to drop by. Have you heard? Lady Ranni has departed on her journey. Along the dark path of the Empyrean, from Renna’s Rise, as she calls it. It would not have been possible without you. As Lady Ranni’s war counselor, and moreover, her childhood warden, I express my deepest gratitude. You, and only you, were Lady Ranni’s true champion.
- My purpose is nearing its end. I've served Lady Ranni for as long as I can remember...It has been a long and wondrous journey. Now Lady Ranni is in your hands. I pray that you serve her well, unto the very end.
Why is Blaidd in the Evergaol?
- I presume you've spoken with Blaidd? Very well. There is something you should know. The Two Fingers gave Blaidd to Lady Ranni, as a faithful follower. Her very shadow, incapable of treachery. But if Lady Ranni, as an Empyrean, reists being an instrument of the Two Fingers, the shadow will go mad, transforming from a follower into a horrid curse. But such is his destiny. In such matters, Blaidd's own thoughts hold no weight. It pains me so, but he must be neutralised. For Lady Ranni's sake.
- Unthinkable, how could Blaidd… How did he break free from his cell? No, more importantly… Blaidd became a curse that plagued Lady Ranni, yet in madness, gave himself to her. I’ve made a grave misjudgement. And I thought myself a capable war counselor… I’ll catch up with you soon enough, Blaidd. When I do, I only hope you’ll accept my apology.
- Something else for you?
- Agh. Cease this treachery at once. Lady Ranni will be devastated.
- (When leaving) This is a true shame. Don't ever show your face again. Not to me. And not to my liege.
Elden Ring War Counselor Iji Notes & Trivia
- Iji is the first Troll capable of speaking to the player in the game.
- He uses Troll's Hammer to smith weapons.