Runes in Elden Ring, analogous to the Souls of previous FromSoftware titles, act as the player's EXP and currency for Merchants. You will drop any runes in your possession at the site of your death. If you die again before reclaiming those runes, they will be lost forever. The compass at the top of the screen indicates the direction of the lost runes.
- See Leveling for details on how to level up, a breakdown of runes necessary per level, and more.
- See Stats for a rundown of attribute points, attack power, damage negation, and all other player stats.
- See Rebirth for details on how to reallocate (respec) assigned attribute points.
How to Obtain Runes in Elden Ring
Occasionally enemies have golden glowing eyes, indicating that they will drop five times their usual amount of runes.
Bosses are a substantial source of runes. Conquering the strongest of foes merits a bounty of runes.
Remembrances drop from certain bosses upon defeat which can be consumed for runes or exchanged for powerful items.
During Multiplayer Co-op, the Host receives 75% of the boss's rune reward and Cooperators receive 25%
Golden Rune Consumables are a reliable source of runes. Like all items, they are not lost on death so you can store them up and use them when you need a few more runes.
Player-vs-Player rewards runes after either a successful invasion or defense against fellow Tarnished.
How to Use Runes in Elden Ring
Players have an opportunity to reallocate attribute points later through Rebirth.
Occasionally, merchants offer certain items with an unlimited stock, accommodating even the greatest of spending sprees.
Rune-Granting Consumables in Elden Ring
The following Consumables grant a fixed number of runes upon use:
- Lands Between Rune - Used to gain 3000 runes.
- Golden Rune  - Used to gain 200 runes.
- Golden Rune  - Used to gain 400 runes.
- Golden Rune  - Used to gain 800 runes.
- Golden Rune  - Used to gain 1.200 runes.
- Golden Rune  - Used to gain 1.600 runes.
- Golden Rune  - Used to gain 2.000 runes.
- Golden Rune  - Used to gain 2.500 runes.
- Golden Rune  - Used to gain 3.000 runes.
- Golden Rune  - Used to gain 3.800 runes.
- Golden Rune  - Used to gain 5.000 runes.
- Golden Rune  - Used to gain 6.250 runes.
- Golden Rune  - Used to gain 7.500 runes.
- Golden Rune  - Used to gain 10.000 runes.
- Numen's Rune - Used to gain 12.500 runes.
- Hero's Rune  - Used to gain 15.000 runes.
- Hero's Rune  - Used to gain 20.000 runes.
- Hero's Rune  - Used to gain 25.000 runes.
- Hero's Rune  - Used to gain 30.000 runes.
- Hero's Rune  - Used to gain 35.000 runes.
- Lord's Rune - Used to gain 50.000 runes.
- Remembrances - Used to gain runes, or can be turned in to unlock its power.
Boosting Rune Acquisition in Elden Ring
Unless explicitly stated, rune acquisition stacks multiplicatively.
Equipment and Consumables:
- Gold-Pickled Fowl Foot - Increases rune acquisition by 30% for 180 seconds.
- Gold Scarab - Increases rune acquisition by 20% while equipped.
Celebrant Weapons: Runes granted by these weapons aren't affected by rune multipliers.
- Celebrant's Skull: Grants 20 runes on hit.
- Celebrant's Cleaver: Grants 10 runes on hit.
- Celebrant's Sickle: Grants 10 runes on hit.
- Celebrant's Rib-Rake: Grants 10 runes on hit.
Multiplayer: When a player you share a Group Password with accomplishes a major feat, you receive a 5% increase to rune acquisition for five minutes. Below are the possible accompanying messages:
- "Someone in the [1-5] group has defeated a shardbearer"
- "Someone in the [1-5] group has become a Lord"
- "Someone in the [1-5] group has become the Elden Lord"
Overkill exists as it did in previous titles. If the first strike to an enemy deals over 150% of its max HP, it gives 20% more runes.
Golden Leaves will occasionally shower from the Erdtree, increasing rune acquisition by 5% as long as the leaves are falling.
Preventing Rune Loss: While not "boosting" rune acquisition, you can save your runes using the following.
How to efficiently farm runes is an ever-evolving topic in Elden Ring that highly depends on the player's preferred method of farming, access to certain locations, and current progress in the game. Contributions are not only welcomed, but encouraged. Is it recommended that players who want to farm runes obtain the Golden Scarab talisman as early as possible, as it increases runes reward by 20%. In order to further increase rune rewards, it is possible in the late game to efficiently farm for Gold-Pickled Fowl Foot, to increase rune rewards by a further 30%, for a total increase of 56%.
Early Game (1 - 35):
- In Gatefront Ruins: Farm the enemies in the ruins. Use Spirit Ashes to clear out the encampment more quickly. 1,224 per run if the Godrick Knight is killed. [Map Link]
- By Limgrave Tower Bridge Site of Grace: After defeating Margit The Fell Omen, farm the three Golems along the bridge. 3,117 per run. [Map Link]
- Impassable Greatbridge Site of Grace: If you run past enemies on Torrent, you can get to this midgame location very early. Two groups of enemies are fighting one another next to this Site of Grace, and if you jump onto the cliff to the west, stand back, and let them kill each other. Each run takes a few minutes but is both low-risk and low-effort. About 4,000 per run. [Map Link]
Midgame (35 - 75):
- By Lenne's Rise: Go down the slope. A ball will spawn and try to smash you, but you can turn right, dodge the ball, and let it fall down the cliff. Continue down the path a short way for another identical ball, just under an overhanging tree. One run takes around 30 seconds and doesn't require any fighting. Make sure the ball goes off the side of the cliff and is close enough that you get the runes. 3,904 per run. [Map Link]
- By Dragonbarrow Fork Site of Grace: Go up the slope and fight 16 poisoned Guardians. These have 983 HP so this farming spot requires a high damage output. 18,122 per run. [Map Link]
- By Lower Capital Church Site of Grace: Kill the Omenkiller right outside, then run straight down into the sewers, turn left and then right ignoring the Rats and Lessser Fingercreepers along the way, and kill the Broken Statue at the end. Takes about 30 seconds. About 5,000 per run. [Map Link]
- By Palace Approach Ledge-Road Site of Grace: Stand on the cliffside and shoot the large bird at the other end. The arrow should hit the bird when it shows its back to the player. It will run towards the player and fall off the cliff. A run takes 15 to 20 seconds once you find the perfect spot to stand. Once you've defeated Elden Beast, you can also use the the Sacred Relic Sword's Wave of Gold skill to kill all the nearby Albinaurics. 11,038 runes per run without killing Albinaurics. [Map Link]. This spot is accessible in the mid-game (after beating Godrick the Grafted) by doing White-Mask Varre's quest and obtaining the Pureblood Knight's Medal. Killing the Albinaurics using a single Wave of Gold rewards about 32,000 runes from the right spot. Note that it is very advantageous to quickly go into NG+ in order to farm runes, as the reward received from ennemies is doubled, making farming far more efficient.
- By Prayer Room Site of Grace: Head out the northern opening to clear out several easy knights around the wall. Fast travel back to prayer room before reaching the room toward the bottom with the two larger and more difficult knights. Over 30,000 per run. [Map Link]
These locations or enemies yield an abundance of runes with minimal investment but can only be collected once.
- 75.000 by Fort Faroth: Kill Elder Dragon Greyoll just to the west. She can't defend herself if you attack her tail, and a Hemorrhage weapon can whittle down her substantial health bar even at a very low level. [Map Link]
- 45.000 by Lenne's Rise: Head north at night and let the Night's Cavalry notice you. Run up the slope, turn left, and keep going: the boss will die somehow on its way back to its original location.
Runes Notes & Tips
- You can hold at most 999,999,999 at one time.
- Golden Runes are included in Player Trade.