Critical Damage (stat)
|Effect||Influences the amount of damage done by critical attacks|
Critical Damage is one of the Damage Types in Elden Ring. It is a special damage type that is dealt in specific situations. Damage types are a major part of the calculation that determines how much damage is dealt in Combat and are affected by many factors including your equipment, skills, and temporary buffs.
Elden Ring Critical Damage Guide
Critical Damage is a special type of damage stat that can be found on all Weapons. Critical Damage is a modifier used when calculating the damage dealt by critical attacks.
Critical attacks are powerful moves that can be performed under specific conditions. There are several situations where performing a critical attack is possible in Elden Ring:
- Attacking certain enemies from behind (known as a "backstab").
- Attacking certain enemies in a vulnerable state due to having been parried by the player (known as a "riposte").
- Attacking certain enemies in a vulnerable state due to being afflicted with the Sleep status.
- Attacking enemies in a vulnerable state due to being dismounted from their horse. This can be performed to enemies on horseback, such as Mounted Knight and Night's Cavalry.
- Attacking certain enemies in a vulnerable state due to having their Stance broken. In the case of some large enemies and Bosses, they can be put into a vulnerable state after dealing enough damage to certain body parts, or after dealing enough damage in general.
If performed correctly, the player and the target are locked in a short animation where the player performs a highly damaging attack, often finishing off weaker enemies instantly. The animation varies by Weapon type and neither the player nor the target can be damaged by outside sources until the animation has finished.
Critical Damage Invulnerability
- During a critical attack animation, the player is invulnerable to damage including Fall Damage (it is possible to avoid a lethal fall by performing critical attack on an enemy as the player falls off a ledge)
Critical Damage and Weapons
All Weapons in Elden Ring possess the Critical Damage stat, and most can be used to perform a critical attack. This stat affects how much damage critical hits deal. Most weapons have 100 Critical Damage stat.
Some notable exceptions:
- Dagger (130)
- Misericorde (140)
- Rapier (130)
- Executioner's Greataxe (115)
- Lordsworn's Greatsword (110)
- Lordsworn's Straight Sword (110)
Increasing Critical Damage Done in Elden Ring
Critical Damage can be increased by equipping the following:
- Dagger Talisman (increases damage of critical hits by 17%)
Increasing Resistance to Critical Damage in Elden Ring
Critical Damage dealt to the player can be reduced by equipping the following:
Elden Ring Critical Damage Notes & Tips
The following talismans add effects to critical attacks:
- Assassin's Cerulean Dagger (critical hits restore FP)
- Assassin's Crimson Dagger (critical hits restore HP)
Unlike many games, critical hits are deliberately performed actions rather than a random bonus that may occur for a given attack.