New Game Plus, or New Game+ (NG+). in Elden Ring is an unlockable feature upon completion of the story which allows you to begin a new journey while maintaining Stats and select pieces of Equipment. This page covers how to enter New Game Plus, what changes it brings to gameplay, and the equipment which carriers over. In addition, there are community recommendations about what you may want to accomplish before entering your next journey.
Elden Ring New Game+ Helpful Links
- Check our Walkthrough page for a detailed guide on reaching the end of the game.
- You may also visit the Game Progress Route page for a quick overview of how to progress through the game.
- Check our Endings page for the different conclusions to the game.
Elden Ring New Game Plus
After defeating the final boss and watching the credits, the game will prompt you to "Begin Journey 2. If you do not start over now, you can choose to begin Journey 2 later at the Table of Lost Grace in Roundtable Hold."
New Game Plus Checklist: Do these before going to NG+
- Back up your save file (just in case)
- Hand in the following Bell Bearings to the Twin Maiden Husks:
- Collect as many final Upgrade Materials as possible:
- Farm Runes to buy out Merchants.
- Collect the following unique Key Items:
- Find and turn in all Scrolls and Prayerbooks to a trainer to purchase their Spells.
- Slay dragons to obtain Dragon Hearts and buy their Incantations at the Cathedral of Dragon Communion.
- Obtain all Larval Tears for future Rebirth.
- Complete smaller objectives you may not want to redo in NG+.
- Kill any NPCs you want the gear from.
- Collect Stonesword Keys; these carry over and can be used in the next playthrough.
- Trade for any Remembrance Weapons you may wish to dual-wield in the future, as only one copy of each weapon can be obtained per NG cycle.
- Obtain any weapons you will want to dual-wield in the next playthrough, as for most weapons only one copy can be obtained per NG cycle.
- Use all 7 Walking Mausoleums to duplicate Remembrances.
- Collect all non-renewable Crafting Materials.
- Collect the maximum number of these Key Items:
- Fully Upgrade your Sacred Flasks:
- Collect all Talismans
- Farm any Weapons or Armor that drop from Enemies (optionally respec for Arcane).
- Respec your character by talking to Rennala if you plan on playing with a different build from the beginning of NG+.
What changes with NG+
You will find some differences when starting a new playthrough through NG+:
- Runes received from Enemies and Bosses increase.
- The increase for NG+ depends on the enemies and bosses and varies between a 5x increase for earlier enemies and bosses to a 2x increase for later enemies and bosses.
- The factor seems to depend on the area (5x in Limgrave, 3x in Liurnia of the Lakes, Mt. Gelmir, Altus Plateau, Leyndell, Royal Capital, 2x in Dragonbarrow, Mountaintops of the Giants, Leyndell, Capital of Ash, ...) with some exceptions
- Further Journeys increase the amount of runes received based on NG+, or Journey 2, as illustrated in the table below.
Journey Multiplier 3 (NG+2) x1.100 4 (NG+3) x1.125 5 (NG+4) x1.200 6 (NG+5) x1.225 7 (NG+6) x1.250 8 (NG+7) x1.275
- Enemies and bosses deal more damage and have more health. The amount of increase varies based on enemy and location, with larger increases in lower level areas.
- Movement slowdown caused from certain area hazards (such as lava and swamps) is removed upon entering NG+.
- It's not known if this is intended behavior or not.
- Note: No new items or new enemies appear. All +1 and +2 versions of talismans can be acquired in a single playthrough.
What happens after Journey 8 Elden Ring?
As stated above, each playthrough is considered a Journey in Elden Ring. Each New Game+ is a new journey with adjusted Rune multipliers and increases in difficulty. Further Journeys increase the amount of runes received based on NG+. The multipliers for each New Game Plus have been calculated and displayed in the table above, which ends at Journey 8 or New Game Plus 7. Once you complete Journey 8, the multipliers and difficulty stops increasing and caps after this journey. Starting a New Game Plus (NG+8) after Journey 8 will play out the same way as Journey 8 with the same calculated multipliers and difficulty. Players are welcome to continue to start new Journeys to continue to complete their collection or experience the game in an attempt to discover new things and secrets, but the scaling will stop after NG+7.
This comes after the 8th Journey which is also New game + 7 since it will be the 7th restart of the game beside the original, making it 8 journeys in total. Players can still choose to continue further, start another new game, or play another journey, if they wish to continue playing with the same multipliers as Journey 8. Since the difficulty caps after this journey, players will sometimes choose to end their game here. Other players continue to motivate themself to try different challenges when approaching the game, try unique build or replay the game with different approaches, Weapons, Classes and equipment. Others may want to attempt building their collection of Items and Equipment or unlocking all the available Trophies & Achievements as well. Players can also look forward to balancing updates and Patch Notes as a motivation to continue playing or await any DLCs that could be added to Elden Ring.
What carries over to New Game Plus?
This is a list of items and discoveries you keep when starting a NG+:
- All levels and runes are kept.
- Any armor, weapons, seals, and staves (including chest contents) are kept, along with their upgrades, and upgrade materials.
- Incantations and Sorceries learned are also saved. They will respawn and restock.
- Cookbooks carry over, as well as the Crafting Kit and tailoring tools. They will not respawn or restock.
- All Talismans and Talisman Pouches carry over. Talismans respawn in the world, but duplicates cannot be equipped.
- Torrent is available immediately at the start of the new game.
- The map exploration, acquired map fragments, location markers and custom markers carry over, however the Sites of Grace are all missing and need to be re-discovered.
- This does not include the "map" items that are quest clues, or the red markers placed by quests.
- The underground map is not available until the player first enters an underground area, but the map exploration and markers themselves are similarly kept.
- (Patch 1.03) NPC markers do not carry over and must be re-discovered, except for the Finger Reader Crone markers which are always available.
- Co-op summons still function proper to the level difference barrier, which can be bypassed with a password.
- Invasions will still take place, from other players within your level range.
- Any boss Remembrance is kept, although they won't be available for duplication until the corresponding boss is slain in the new game.
- Sacred Tears and Golden Seeds carry over in your inventory, as well as respawn in the world, and your flasks retain their upgrades. However, there is the same limit on flask upgrades of 14 charges at +12.
- The Flask of Wondrous Physick and any collected Crystal Tears carry over but do not respawn.
- Stonesword Keys in your inventory carry over, and Stonesword Keys in the world respawn.
- Memory Stones that have already been collected are kept, and do not respawn.
- All Whetblades, Cracked Pots, Ritual Pots and Perfume Bottles that have already been collected are kept and do not respawn. Merchants who sell those items will not restock them.
- You keep all Dragon Hearts, Rune Arcs, Starlight Shards, Memory of Grace, Larval Tears, Spirit Ashes, Ashes of War, Lost Ashes of War, and Celestial Dews you had. These items also respawn in the world.
- Reusable items not related to quests carry over: e.g. Spirit Calling Bell, Ancestral Infant's Head, Mimic's Veil, Regal Omen Bairn, Radiant Baldachin's Blessing, Margit's Shackle, Telescope, Lantern, Weathered Map, Blasphemous Claw.
- All Notes purchased from Merchants are kept and will not restock.
- All Prattling Pates are kept, as well as respawn in the world.
- You keep all gestures already obtained.
- As of the 1.05 patch, the following Bell Bearings carry over when given to the Twin Maiden Husks: Bone Peddler's Bell Bearing/ Meat Peddler's Bell Bearing/ Medicine Peddler's Bell Bearing/ Gravity Stone Peddler's Bell Bearing/ Smithing-Stone Miner's Bell Bearing/ Somberstone Miner's Bell Bearing/ Glovewort Picker's Bell Bearing/ Ghost-Glovewort Picker's Bell Bearing
What does NOT carry over to New Game Plus?
This is a list of items and discoveries you don't keep and must obtain again in a NG+:
- All Great Runes must be obtained again and restored again in the new game; this includes the story requirement of two Great Runes to gain access to Leyndell.
- Any bell bearings aside from the ones previously listed.
- Bell Bearings that are given to the Twin Maiden Husks, aside from the ones previously listed, must be found in the world again; including the item or upgrade Bell Bearings that expand the inventory and the NPC Bell Bearings that add shop menu entries. Bell Bearings held within your inventory still and not yet handed in are also lost.
- (As of patch 1.05) The only bell bearings that carry over to NG+ when given to the Twin Maiden Husks include: Bone Peddler's Bell Bearing/ Meat Peddler's Bell Bearing/ Medicine Peddler's Bell Bearing/ Gravity Stone Peddler's Bell Bearing/ Smithing-Stone Miner's Bell Bearing/ Somberstone Miner's Bell Bearing/ Glovewort Picker's Bell Bearing/ Ghost-Glovewort Picker's Bell Bearing
- All other bell bearings must be found in the world again
- All pieces of the Dectus Medallion, the Rold Medallion and the Haligtree Secret Medallion must be found again
- The Pureblood Knight's Medal must be obtained again.
- Key items that are required for story progression, locked doors, or NPC quests must be obtained again. ex: both Academy Glintstone keys, Black Knifeprint, Sewer-Gaol Key, Miquella's Needle, etc.
- All Mending Runes must be obtained again.
- Previously found Sites of Grace need to be found and activated again, their locations in the map are not preserved.
- Martyr Effigies must be activated again to become part of your summoning pool.
- Progress towards the Legendary Armaments achievement; all relevant items for the achievement must be collected in a single journey. This can, however, be worked around by moving weapons to storage and retrieving them back ("collecting" them).
- This point is highly debated. Further testing is necessary.
- Letters, clues, and other documents from NPC quests must be obtained again.
- Painting puzzle clues must be found again.
- Any side quests will be reset, along with your relationship to any NPCs.
- Sorcery scrolls and Incantation prayerbooks are lost upon reset and must be given to trainer NPCs again.
- The Mark of Frenzied Flame will be removed from your character, along with any cosmetic changes (eye alterations and the burn marks from the Three Fingers). Dragon Communion incantations carry over, but must be purchased again for their cosmetic changes.