Somber Smithing Stone 
Reinforce special armaments to +4
Somber Smithing Stone  is an Upgrade Material in Elden Ring. Somber Smithing Stone  is a special armement reinforcement item used to increase the level and stats of special equipment. Upgrade Materials can be acquired through exploration, looting it from specified areas of a Location, dropped by a specific Enemy or Boss, given by an NPC, or sold by a Merchant.
Large hard smithing stone drained of color.
Strengthens special armaments to +4.
Special armaments with unique characteristics cannot be strengthened with colored smithing stones. Number of steps and amount strengthened differ from standard equipment.
Somber Smithing Stone  Location in Elden Ring
See Somber Smithing Stone  for upgrades past +4.
Where to find Somber Smithing Stone :
In the World
- 3 found inside the Sellia Crystal Tunnels. [Map Link]
- In the main chamber, head up the slope until you are able to jump on the roof of the central storage shed. Jump onto the wooden platform in the east and hop over the barricade blocking the tunnel. Go through the tunnel until you end up in a room with a ladder and wooden walkways above. The stone is found on a body on one of the walkways.
- Continue to the cavern in the north and climb up the ladder on the side of the shed in front of you. Check the cavity in the wall to the right of the entrance to the next tunnel for the second stone.
- Continue into the tunnel and check the hollow on the left in the next cavern to find the final stone.
- One from a scarab hanging off a massive tree branch just south of the Forsaken Ruins in Caelid.
- Dropped by Teardrop Scarab in Caelid. [Map Link]
- Dropped by Teardrop Scarab in southern Caelid. [Map Link]
- One on a corpse in the Swamp of Aeonia. From the Sellia Under Stair grace go south along the shoreline, the stone is on a corpse just past a mass of trees near a swarm of Giant Dragonflys.
- Found on a corpse behind a stone building in Nokron, Eternal City. [Map Link]
- One on a corpse in a small room with some small crabs in the rooftops section of Raya Lucaria Academy. [Map Link]
- Old Altus Tunnel: Found at the bottom of the main chamber, on a corpse inside the northern storage shed. [Map Link]
- One on a corpse near the Road of Iniquity site of grace in Mt. Gelmir. [Map Link]
- Looted from a corpse in Sellia Hideaway, in the middle of a small tunnel leading to the top [Map Link]
- Can be found within the caves that go through Ruin-Strewn Precipice. [Map Link]
- One can be found inside Gael Tunnel, in the back of the water-logged cavern with a Giant Land Octopus hanging from the ceiling. [Map Link]
- Found on a corpse sitting on a chair near the northern ravine's entrance in Liurnia of the Lakes. [Map Link]
- Found past the Minor Erdtree at the northwest of Caelid. [Map Link]
- Video Location, Nokron Eternal City
- Smithing Master Iji at Liurnia of the Lakes for 6000 Runes. [Map Link]
- Twin Maiden Husks at the Roundtable Hold for 6000 Runes. After giving her the Somberstone Miner's Bell Bearing (2) or Iji's Bell Bearing
- Guaranteed one-time-only drop from 2 Fingercreepers at Mt Gelmir, near Volcano Manor
- Guaranteed one-time-only drop from the Fingercreeper in the sewers beneath Leyndell, Royal Capital
- 13.22% chance from Lesser Fingercreepers in the sewers beneath Leyndell, Royal Capital and Mt Gelmir, near Volcano Manor
- 2% chance from some Glintstone Miners in Sellia Crystal Tunnel [Map Link]
- 1% chance from some Glintstone Miners in Sellia Crystal Tunnel [Map Link]
- 1% chance from Glintstone Miners in Altus Tunnel
Somber Smithing Stone  Elden Ring Guide
- Used in smithing to strengthen special armaments from +3 to +4.
Elden Ring Somber Smithing Stone  Notes & Tips
- You can hold up to 999 Somber Smithing Stone .
- You can store up to 999 Somber Smithing Stone .
- Sell Value: 800
Join the page discussion Register to EDIT the Wiki!
On the interactive map, the teardrop scarabs east of the gael tunnel and the cathedral of dragon communion in western/southern caelid are reporting that it drops a Somber 3, when in fact both scarabs drop Somber 4s.
the description on the swamp of aeonia one is really not helpful
The one in Caelid is found on a corpse sitting in a chair at a cliff facing towards the Sea, it's not on the same ground level as the minor Erdtree. It's misleading description.
3 in sellia crystal tunnels, 2 from nodes, 1 from a slumped over body
These now drop from the miner mobs in Sellia Crystal Tunnel after patch 1.03
Farmable Somber Smithing stone :
Altus Tunnel Minner, rarely drops Somber Smithing stone  and Somber Smithing stone . There are 2 types of Miner here, I think one of them drop  the other one drop . Farming them is quite a hassle though, drop rate seems abyssmal.
There is a Somber Smithing Stone  you can pickup from a withered dead man. He is located in the Sellia Crystal Tunnels after the platforming you have to do in the beginning to continue through the tunnels. After the platforming, proceed through the tunnel and there will be a ladder. Climb up the ladder and turn around, you will see the withered dead man. You pick up the Somber Smithing Stone  from him.
These seem to drop from those hand creature things, by the Grace named "ROAD OF INIQUITY" by Volcano Manor. I didn't kill the big hand thing so I can't confirm anything for that one, but i got 3 of them from a small group of mini hand things that ambush you just up that hill and to the right from the big hand. I did it a second time to see if they would drop again and I got 1 more. This is probably a really easy way to get these, as those mini hands only have around 300 health.
Found another to the southeast of the Main Caria Manor Gate Grace site. It's on a courpse in a chair near the base of the cliff on the small piece of land sticking out
I also found one inside the Gael tunnel as a crystal formation. It's in a chamber near the Grace site on the right hand side, guarded by 2 foot soldiers. In the room, there's a few small octopus, and one large one protecting the crystal
Found one south of the forsaken ruins in Caelid, parallel with the Gael Tunnel on a scarab hanging off a tree you can pass under
Found one on the beatle item drop dudes in SE of rotview balcony, hanging on the side of a white log