Teardrop Scarabs are special creatures in Elden Ring. Similar to Crystal Lizards in the Souls series, Teardrop Scarabs are non-hostile creatures that drop valuable items upon defeat. If the player fails to quickly eliminate them, they will begin to flicker and then disappear from the area.
These scarabs often roll clumps of valuable ashes of war during their labors, along with crimson and cerulean tears. They are very skittish, and will often flee when spotted.
Strategies for Teardrop Scarab in Elden Ring
Unlike Crystal Lizards, Teardrop Scarabs don't have particularly high resistances, so it's possible to defeat them easily with both magic and physical damage. Players should be careful, however, as the scarabs often run into groups of larger enemies, making them harder to target and making the player the victim of plenty of ambushes. For this reason, ranged attacks are usually best.
- Red and Blue Scarabs respawn when you rest. They are used to refill both flasks when killed.
- Scarabs that roll regular balls will often drop various rare items, such as Ashes of War or Somber Smithing Stones. These do not respawn after they die.
Teardrop Scarab Locations and Drops in Elden Ring
Players can encounter the following Teardrop Scarabs:
- Church of Dragon Communion (south of island) - Drops Somber Smithing Stone 
- Limgrave: north-East from the Church of Elleh, behind a broken building with Ruin Fragments, on the way to Gatefront Ruins - Drops "??"
- Limgrave: Western beach. East side of the shore, you'll notice multiple glowing prints moving around the pillars. Attack it at the right time just when it's about to approach you to reveal the scarab. - Drops Ash of War: Stamp (Sweep).
- Limgrave: in the water in the South East portion of Agheel Lake, North West of the Agheel Lake South Site of Grace. — Drops Ash of War: Unsheathe.
- Limgrave: Hiding behind a tree in the corner of Siofra River Well
- Limgrave: on the path at the bridge north of Agheel Lake. Drops Ash of War: Determination. [Map Link]
- Limgrave: On top of a building's ruins. Drops Somber Smithing Stone (1). [Map link]
- Limgrave: Near Third Church of Marika, next to Spiritspring. Drops the Ash of War: Sacred Blade.
- Limgrave: In the middle of the path leading from the Stormhill Shack site of grace to the Castleward Tunnel site of grace. Drops Ash of War: Wild Strikes
- Along the main road taken from Limgrave in the east. Found on a portion of the road that slopes upwards, past an area with a broken Carriage. Drops Ash of War: Mighty Shot. [Map Link]
- In a forested area southeast of the Castle Morne Rampart. Drops the Poison Mist incantation.
- In a crevasse separating the landmass containing the Minor Erdtree from the eastern side of the peninsula. The scarab is found in the lower section of the crevasse, surrounded by bats and a constant beat of lightning strikes from above. There are stone platforms on either cliffside you can use to descend safely. Drops the Lightning Strike incantation. [Map Link]
- Atop a collapsed stone structure overgrown with yellow moss. Found a short distance west of the Tombsward Ruins. Drops the Divine Fortification incantation. [Map Link]
- Off the beaten path, over a rocky area. Drops aSomber Smithing Stone (2) [Map Link]
- Found in a rocky, cavern-like area near the Minor Erdtree in southwest Liurnia.. Drops Ash of War: Sword Dance. [Map Link]
- Found in the southeast poisonous swamp area of the map, south from the Folly on the Lake site of grace. The scarab is located in the center of an island near an opening in the rocky overpass.
Drops Ash of War: Vow of the Indomitable
- In the marshes near the Rose Church southwest of the lake. Drops the Bloodflame Blade incantation.
- On the island below the broken bridge connecting Raya Lucaria Academy and East Raya Lucaria Gate. Drops Ash of War: Shield Bash. [Map Link]
- An invisible scarab is found roaming the shallow body of water southeast of Caria Manor. Look for its glowing footprints and attack as they move towards you. Drops Ash of War: Hoarfrost Stomp. [Map Link]
- Found in an area behind the gardens and to the east in Caria Manor. Drops the Carian Piercer sorcery. [Map Link]
- Found in the woods, between the trees. Drops Somber Smithing Stone (3). [Map Link]
- Three Sisters: In the ruins south of Renna's Rise. Drops Ash of War: Chilling Mist. [Map Link]
- Found in the Church of Irith after giving Thops the extra Glintstone Key and letting him leave for the academy. Drops Ash of War: Thops's Barrier.
- In the Ravine-Veiled Village, found by going as far northeast as possible in Lake of Liurnia (near but not accessible from Grand Lift of Dectus) Drops Ash of War: Barbaric Roar. [Map Link]
- Attached to a ceiling under a bridge West of the Academy Gate Town Site of Grace, above some Land Squirts and near a Giant Crab in the Academy Gate Town. Drops Ash of War: Charge Forth. [Map Link]
- Found along the Caelid Highway. Drops Ash of War: Lifesteal Fist. [Map Link]
- Sellia, Town of Sorcery: Found high above on a very large root in the western end of town. Accessible by jumping across the rooftops. Drops Ash of War: Double Slash [Map Link]
- An invisible scarab can be found roaming the northeast section of Aeonia Swamp, directly west of Sellia. Drops the Poison Armament incantation. [Map Link]
- Found near the edge of the cliffs northwest of the Isolated Merchant's Shack in Dragonbarrow. Drops Ash of War: Sky Shot. [Map Link]
- Capital Outskirts: An invisible Teardrop Scarab can be found leaving its glowing footprints inside the short rocky tunnel in the lake directly east of the Outer Wall Phantom Tree site of grace. Drops Ash of War: Prayerful Strike. [Map Link]
- Capital Outskirts: A teleporting scarab is found near the large blocked gate with many Wandering Nobles near it. Drops Ash of War: Golden Parry
- Capital Outskirts: In the middle of a Leyndell encampment in the northeastern side of Altus Plateau. Just northwest of Hermit Merchant's Shack or Outer Wall Battleground site of grace.
Drops Ash of War: Lightning Slash [Map Link]
- Dropped by a teleporting Scarab inside a broken building in the Lux Ruins, near the Erdtree Gazing Hill site of grace. Drops Ash of War: Shield Crash.
- Northeast of Erdtree-Gazing Hill, flying above a pond with trees. Drops Ash of War: Blood Blade.
- An invisible Teardrop Scarab in the intersection of the road before Altus Highway Junction site of grace. It moves very slowly, and you can see some dust as it rolls. Drops Ash of War: Earthshaker.
- In the northern section of the Woodfolk Ruins, surrounded by many Lesser Wormfaces. Drops
Ash of War: Golden Slam [Map Link]
- Just south of Sainted Hero's Grave, near a bunch of swords embedded into the ground.
Drops Ash of War: Lightning Ram [Map Link]
- Leyndell, Royal Capital: There's an invisible Teardrop Scarab. Can be found after heading down the stairs and taking the elevator, right after the fight with Godfrey, First Elden Lord.
Drops Barrier of Gold. [Map Link]
- Found in the narrow channel north of Seethewater River. Drops Ash of War: Barrage. [Map Link]
- An invisble scarab leaving behind tracks will be seen upon approaching the Volcano Manor’s entrance.
Drops Ash of War: Through and Through.
- Found in the lower level of the Ancient Snow Valley Ruins, south of the Nomadic Merchant. Drops a Somber Smithing Stone (8) [Map Link]
- Found on top of a small mountain, will vanish if you get too close. Drops a Somber Smithing Stone (8).
- An invisible scarab leaving behind tracks can be seen east of the Freezing Lake site of grace. Drops Ash of War: Seppuku [Map Link]
- A lone scarab hanging on a dead tree near the Guardians’ Garrison. Beware of the nearby enemies. It will drop Ash of War: Prelate’s Charge.
- Found by the cliffs south of the fountain plaza. This area is located in the upper level after ascending the Dragon Temple Lift. Drops the incantationGolden Lightning Fortification. [Map Link]
Elden Ring Teardrop Scarab Notes & Tips
- Immune to Status Effects.
- Can be poise-broken
- There are few types of scarabs:
- Flying/Hanging - Floating in the air/hanging on a branch or tree. When hit, falls and acts like a regular Teardrop Scarab. Fall can damage player (very low damage).
- Invisible - Low-health variation (die to 1 hit), that can be seen thanks to their visible steps, plus they follow one route. Sorcerers can use spells with AoE or sorceries like Glintblade Phalanx, which target invisible enemies. Melee user can utilize either bow or Ashes of War with AoE like Ground Slam.
- Enlarging - Enlarge after receiving a specific amount of damage. Becomes larger than player and can pose some threat, however their behaviour remains unchanged.
- Escaping - When it spots a player, it will teleport a short distance away. Sneaking is an option, but bows are more effective.
- Explosive - Regular scarab, but their balls explodes after few seconds. Explosion is telegraphed, plus it does not happen if scarab dies due to gravity.
- Cerulean and Crimson Scarabs roll around a ball that appears to be a bunch of twigs together with a glowing center. Special Scarabs will have regular balls filled with rocks and such.
Elden Ring Teardrop Scarab Image Gallery