Baleful Shadow is an Enemy in Elden Ring. The Baleful Shadow is a wolf-like assassin of the Two Fingers, wielding a large greatsword. If you have spoken to the Miniature Ranni doll, it will ask you to defeat the Baleful Shadow, a necessary step in completing Ranni's quest.
I turned my back on the Two Fingers and we each have been cursing the other since. The Baleful Shadows... are their assassins.
- Miniature Ranni
Elden Ring Baleful Shadow Locations
Where to find the Baleful Shadow:
- By Nokstella Waterfall Basin Site of Grace in Ainsel River Main: Through the cave to the south. Map Link
Elden Ring Baleful Shadow Combat information
- Health: 5445 HP
- Poise: 80
The absorption numbers are the % of your damage that gets blocked. For example, if an absorption is 60, 40% of that damage by that type will go through and 60% is absorbed. Bigger number = less damage. An absorption of 100 means no damage goes through, and a resistance of -100 mean the enemy takes 2x damage from that source. 0 means damage goes pretty much as is.
The resistance numbers are the buildup amount to trigger it. For example, if a resistance is 100 you must deal 100 points of whatever aux buildup to trigger it. Note that these go down over time, and increase each time the effect procs.
Elden Ring Baleful Shadow Drops
Baleful Shadow Notes & Tips
- The Baleful Shadow can be backstabbed.
- Can be poise-broken, riposted and parried.
- Deals Standard Damage.
- Baleful Shadow, while a normal enemy, is tough to kill due to its ability to dodge and drink health flasks. They have many health flask charges.
- It is susceptible to Frostbite. The Ash of War Hoarfrost Stomp can make this fight significantly easier, as it will often catch the Baleful Shadow despite its attempts to dodge projectile attacks of any sort. It will take three or four full hits with Hoarfrost to apply the Frostbite status, dealing a chunk of health damage but more importantly slowing it down significantly, allowing you to dodge his strikes and easily circle around for backstabs, as its turn rate will be significantly reduced.
- You can easily get a backstab opportunity if you roll forward, aiming slightly to his right side, during his jump attack, frontal charge attack and grab attack. When you're close he can use a spinning attack instead of jump attack, both of which begin in the same stance. In this case you can roll forward to his left side for a backstab opportunity.
- Takes two parries to break stance, the first parry is followed by unparryable horizontal slash with very long wind-up and high poise damage.
- The Baleful Shadow first spawns in next to 2 coffins. By keeping the middle one between you and him, he will be mostly unable to cross it, and you can hit him safely with a ranged weapon.
- You can sneak up to this coffin and cast Poison Mist to inflict poison damage. You will need to inflict poison damage six times to kill him, and each subsequent time you inflict takes more casts of Poison Mist, so bring some Flask of Cerulean Tears.
- Resembles Blaidd the Half-Wolf. They even share the same moveset.
- However, the Baleful Shadow's sword is imbued with Destined Death, not the Frost enchantment that Blaidd's sword is enchanted with, further signifying the shadow’s allegiance to the Two Fingers.
- If you run past the Baleful Shadow and down the elevator to activate the Lake of Rot Shoreside [Map link] Site of Grace, this will provide a faster and safer boss run.