Lion Guardian is an Enemy in Elden Ring. Lion Guardians are aggressive beasts that serve as guard animals, and fight with their sharp claws and a blade attached to their right arm. Once slain, they do not respawn.
Lion Guardian Enemy in Elden Ring
Lion Guardian is an Enemy found in various locations.
- This enemy is not a boss
- This enemy does not respawn once killed
Where to find Lion Guardian in Elden Ring
- A Lion Guardian can be found in Stormveil Castle, guarding the eastern bridge entrance. [Map Link]
- A Lion Guardian can be found in Fort Gael. Drops Ash of War: Lion's Claw upon defeating it.
- A Lion Guardian can be found in the southern part of Caelid, southeast from the Nomadic Merchant Caelid South.
- 2 Lion Guardians can be found in Redmane Castle during the Radahn Festival.
- A Lion Guardian is disguised as a Wandering Noble cowering in a corner in the unnamed ruins south of Windmill Village. The ruins are on the clifftops, most easily reached by going north from the Rampartside Path site of grace. Drops Larval Tear upon defeating it.
- A Lion Guardian is found sleeping by a dry fountain in the southern part of Leyndell, Royal Capital accompanied by a Perfumer, which will constantly buff it. Can be reached by going up the stairs from Avenue Balcony site of grace then turning right and up the stairs on the left.
- 2 Lion Guardians can be found in Castle Sol. They are unique in that they have a breath attack that builds up Frostbite.
Elden Ring Lion Guardian Combat Information
- Poise: 80
- Can avoid fast spells like Glinstone Pebble.
- Deals Slash Damage and Standard Damage. Variation from Castle Sol can also inflict Frostbite.
- Parriable: Yes
- Can be poise broken, what allows to perform a critical strike.
The absorption numbers are the % of your damage that gets blocked. For example, if an absorption is 60, 40% of that damage by that type will go through and 60% is absorbed. Bigger number = less damage. An absorption of 100 means no damage goes through, and a resistance of -100 mean the enemy takes 2x damage from that source. 0 means damage goes pretty much as is.
The resistance numbers are the buildup amount to trigger it. For example, if a resistance is 100 you must deal 100 points of whatever aux buildup to trigger it. Note that these go down over time, and increase each time the effect procs.
Lion Guardian Boss Guide for Elden Ring
Video Guide Lion Guardian Boss
[video coming soon]
Lion Guardian Fight Strategy
The Best Tips for Lion Guardian:
- Use the pillars to create separation when you need to use a Flask
- You can sneak up on the Lion to get a free hit
- Many of its attacks have a delayed extra attack, so watch out for this and don't attack until you are sure it's safe
- Most Spirit Summons can get shredded by this enemy due to its fast attacks, making them rather unfit as distractions.
The Lion Guardian is extremely aggressive, and it's likely that you made it to him with a less than ideal Flask count, making it even harder than it should be. Sneak up on him by crouching if you can and get in one good heavy attack or Weapon Skill if you can, and follow it up immediately with another attack or two, since you'll have a second for him to wake up once hit. This should take about a 1/4 of his HP off before the fight really begins.
You need to bait his attacks and wait for openings, but it's difficult because you cannot Block some of his combo chains without being guard broken, so you need to create separation if you can. Use the pillars to do this, and wait for him to do his jump attack when he plunges to the ground, and then wait for the delayed follow up before attacking. This is your best opening, and baiting him until he does this is the safest way to get him, unless you have a Weapon Skill that can AoE through a pillar.
Magic and Ranged Strategy
Much like melee, you can sneak up on him for some free damage before the fight begins. Try to keep the pillar between you and cast spells when you can hit him, quickly getting behind the pillar again once cast. You likely will be low on FP Flasks for this fight, so you should plan on doing some melee attacks at the beginning and end of this fight.
Using a Shield in your off-hand can help a lot to Block as needed, just don't Block more than you have to. Try not to use a Spirit Summons as they will die quickly, and they cost a good amount of FP. You will be low, so don't waste it.
Instead of attacking the Lion Guardian yourself, you can instead use the ballistae that are firing on you. Simply aggro the beast, then run back down the ramp through the gate. You may need to head back inside in order to get the Lion Guardian to continue following, as sometimes it will stand at the top of the ramp, pacing back and forth. Once it heads down the ramp, align yourself so you are standing in a line with the beast, so it's in front of you and the ballistae are behind it. You will still need to dodge the bolts, as they can pierce the Lion Guardian and hit you. Three or four ballista bolts will kill the beast in a matter of seconds. This will only work if the soldiers firing the ballistae are left alive, so keep moving in a zig-zag pattern to avoid the shots.
Attacks & Counters
|Claw Swipe||The Lion runs toward the play and strikes with its claw.||Since the range of this attack isn't very large, take a step back or side step this action.|
|Sword Swipe||The lion runs toward the player in the same way as the claw swipe, but uses the claw with the sword attached, giving it a larger range. This can happen in combination with the claw swipe.||Roll through this attack.|
|The lion's basic attacks can be accompanied by a movement to redirect his attack. A sword slash or claw swipe can follow a quick turn as the lion locates the player.||Back away or roll through each attack of the movement combination as they come.|
|Sword Lunge||Similar to the sword swipe except the direction the sword attack lunges down forward toward the player. This can follow a leap.||Roll back or side step to avoid this attack. There will be a second to follow up with an attack of your own.|
|Lion Bite||A small range attack where the Lion runs toward the player and makes a damaging bite.||Block this attack if you can, or side step as the lion reaches you and stops to make this attack.|
Elden Ring Lion Guardian Lore, Notes & Other Trivia
- The Lions in Redmane Castle drop Somber Smithing Stone .
Elden Ring Lion Guardian Image Gallery