Esgar, Priest of Blood is a Boss in Elden Ring. Esgar, Priest of Blood is a highly aggressive humanoid boss equipped with a dagger and utilizes bleed attacks and spells. He is accompanied by two dogs that also inflict bleed. Esgar can be found in the Leyndell Catacombs, deep beneath Leyndell, Royal Capital. This is an optional boss as players don't have to defeat it to advance in Elden Ring, but will be rewarded with useful items and Runes for doing so.
Aided by his two ferocious dogs, this Priest is capable of the deadliest hemorrhage-inducing attacks.
Elden Ring Esgar, Priest of Blood Boss
- Esgar, Priest of Blood is an Optional Boss
- Esgar, Priest of Blood is a Field-class Boss
- Closest Site of Grace: Leyndell Catacombs
- Multiplayer is allowed for this fight
- Spirit Summons are available for this fight
Elden Ring Esgar, Priest of Blood Location
Esgar, Priest of Blood can be found in Leyndell Catacombs, which is a massive mausoleum found deep beneath Leyndell, Royal Capital. These catacombs are accessed through the Subterranean Shunning-Grounds. Esgar's boss door can be found just in front of the Leyndell Catacombs site of grace near the entrance. However, you will need to venture deeper into the catacombs to unlock it.
Esgar, Priest of Blood Combat Information
- Health: NG (3511), NG+ (??), NG++ (??), NG+3 (??), NG+4 (??), NG+5 (??), NG+6 (??), NG+7 (??)
- Deals Slash, Pierce and Fire damage. Can inflict Blood loss
- Esgar is accompanied by 2 blood dogs. They deal Standard Damage and can inflict Blood loss. Killing Esgar cause remaining dog(s) to die.
- Parriable: Yes (Esgar) No (dogs)
- Can be poise broken, which allows for a critical attack (Esgar)
- Can be poise broken, but without chance for a critical strike (dogs)
The absorption numbers are the % of your damage that gets blocked. For example if an absorption is 60. 40% of that damage by that type will go through and 60% is absorbed. Bigger number= less damage. An absorption of 100 means no damage goes through, and a resistance of -100 mean the enemy takes 2x damage from that source. 0 means damage goes pretty much as is.
The resistance numbers is the buildup amount to trigger it. For example if a resistance is 100 you must deal 100 points of whatever aux buildup to trigger it. Note that these go down over time, and increase each time the effect procs.
Elden Ring Esgar, Priest of Blood Boss Guide
Esgar, Priest of Blood Boss Video Guide
[video coming soon]
Esgar, Priest of Blood Fight Strategy
The Best Tips for Esgar, Priest of Blood:
- Use items that boost your Robustness such as Invigorating Cured Meat to slow the build-up of bleed effects.
- Esgar is a human-type enemy, therefore bring weaponry inflicting Status Effects.
- Focus on the two dogs first before moving onto the boss. Players having trouble with the dogs can try using the Beast-Repellent Torch.
- Consider using a summon to distract the boss and/or one of the dogs.
Esgar is a relatively simple boss that relies heavily on the bleed mechanic applied by both himself and his dogs. It is imperative that you do not let this effect build up as the blood loss triggered can one-shot players even at higher levels. Consider using a summon to distract either the boss or one of the dogs for an easier time. You should aim for the boss only after taking care of his canine companions, as they are much quicker and also inflict bleed. The dogs do not take too much to kill but getting hit by them can prove dangerous due to the bleed.
Esgar himself will mostly try to close the distance with dodge rolls and jump attacks. His weapon automatically builds up bleed on hit but he does not have any complex or extensive combos. After dodging his jump attacks, you can punish him with heavy jump attacks of your own to send him plopping facedown on the ground. When he casts his Swarm of Flies move, get ready to dodge through the slow-moving initial swarm. A direct hit from this will cause a burst that quickly builds bleed. Another attack Esgar will use commonly is the Bloodflame Talons. This attack has a very obvious telegraph and the higher damage portion only happens after a short delay.
For melee users, you can use any weapon you want, this boss does not have a lot of poise and you can stagger and stunlock him easily. You just have to be careful with its attacks as it stacks bleed and can build-up quite quickly, and being on the receiving end of his attacks can mean life or death if you're not careful. Take your time in getting a few hits in with him, use the whole arena and kite him when needed, take advantage of the pillars in the area to block or hide from some of his attacks, like the swarm of flies, then flask up when needed. You can get a few attacks in after his jumping attack, just don't get too greedy as he can use Swarm of Flies or the Bloodflame Talons, which can deal massive burst damage on impact.
Magic and Ranged Users
For magic and ranged users, it is recommended that you use a spell/incantations or a skill that can deal AoE damage at the start of the fight where you can clip Esgar as well as his canine companions. Then you can equip a heavy-hitting spell/incantation of your choice in whittling down his health if you've managed to take out the canine companions. Esgar can rush towards you if you keep on creating distance, or he can use some of his projectile attacks, either way, just keep kiting him while using your ranged attacks and take advantage of the pillars in the area.
For Incantation users - Ekzykes's Decay with around 30-35 Mind is a free win, as both dogs and Esgar will not have a chance to retaliate/jump away.
Esgar, Priest of Blood Attacks & Counters
|Swarm of Flies||Esgar releases a swarm of flies that fly towards his target, bursting into a larger AoE that deals damage and builds up bleed.||Dodge through the initial projectile. It has decent tracking and will likely hit if you dodge backwards or sideways.|
|Bloodflame Talons||Esgar slashes with magical claws in front of him. After a short delay, an explosion is released from the claw marks.||Maintain distance and do not close in until the explosion happens.|
|Bloody Slash||Uses the dagger to unleash a rending blood slash in a wide arc.||Dodge roll through or either side of the projectile.|
|Jumping Attack||Runs forward and performs a jumping attack with the dagger.||Dodge roll through the attack, and you can get a 1-3 swings in depending on your weapon.|
Esgar, Priest of Blood Lore, Notes & Other Trivia
- Voice Actor: ??
- Considering his obvious blood associations and the fact that he drops Lord of Blood's Exultation, Esgar is almost certainly a servant of Mohg. What exactly he's doing in the catacombs is unclear - possibly he has been sent there to retrieve Mohg's Shackle, which is found nearby the catacombs' entrance.
- Possible refference to Titchy Gren from Dark Souls 2, or more precisely, Nahr Alma, the God of Blood.
Esgar, Priest of Blood Image Gallery
[screenshots and artwork go here]