Southern Liurnia : 4,934
Northern Liurnia : 4,912
Weeping Peninsula : 4,354
Erdtree Avatar is a Boss in Elden Ring. Erdtree Avatar is a large, headless creature that looks like a tree stump wielding a large staff, and is found in multiple locations, guarding the Minor Erdtrees. Each avatar drops a different set of Wondrous Flask-related materials. This is an optional boss as players are not required to defeat it to advance in Elden Ring. Not to be confused with the Putrid Avatar, a variant that inflicts scarlet rot.
Elden Ring Erdtree Avatar Boss
Erdtree Avatar is a Field Boss found in multiple locations, guarding the Minor Erdtrees.
- They are optional Bosses.
- Erdtree Avatars are Field Type Bosses.
- There are usually Stakes of Marika near them, allowing for a quick respawn.
- Multiplayer is available for this fight.
- Spirit Summons are available for this fight.
- Torrent is available when fought in the open world, and not inside a dungeon.
Elden Ring Erdtree Avatar Location
There are multiple Erdtree Avatar bosses that can be found in the Lands Between:
- Weeping Peninsula: Found underneath the Minor Erdtree in the center of the peninsula. The boss is sitting in the field slightly north of the tree, surrounded by large stone pots. Elden Ring Map Link.
- Liurnia of the Lakes: Found along the main road to the Minor Erdtree in the southwest of the lakes. Elden Ring Map Link.
- Liurnia of the Lakes. Found to the northeastern side of the Liurnia of the Lakes. Elden Ring Map here.
- Mountaintops of the Giants: Found at the Minor Erdtree east of Stargazer's Ruins. Elden Ring Map Link.
Non-boss variants of the Erdtree Avatar can also be encountered in the following locations:
- Leyndell Royal Capital: Appears along the main road, just before the Avenue Balcony Site of Grace. Drops Lord's Rune. [ Elden Ring Map Link]
- Deeproot Depths: Found patrolling near the Great Waterfall Crest site of grace. Drops Staff of the Avatar. [Elden Ring Map Link]
- Elphael Brace of the Haligtree: There are two here. One is patrolling the road down and to the right of the prayer room site of grace. The second is guarding the entrance to the Elphael Inner Wall site of grace.
Erdtree Avatar Combat Information
- Health: NG (??), NG+ (??), NG++ (??), NG+3 (??), NG+4 (??), NG+5 (??), NG+6 (??), NG+7 (??)
- Deals Strike Damage, Standard Damage and Holy Damage.
- Parriable: No
- Poise can be broken.
- Very weak to Fire Damage.
- Resistant to Poison.
- Immune to Hemorrhage.
The absorption numbers are the % of your damage that gets blocked. For example if an absorption is 60. 40% of that damage by that type will go through and 60% is absorbed. Bigger number= less damage. An absorption of 100 means no damage goes through, and a resistance of -100 mean the enemy takes 2x damage from that source. 0 means damage goes pretty much as is.
The resistance numbers is the buildup amount to trigger it. For example if a resistance is 100 you must deal 100 points of whatever aux buildup to trigger it. Note that these go down over time, and increase each time the effect procs.
Elden Ring Erdtree Avatar Boss Guide
Erdtree Avatar Boss Video Guide
[video coming soon]
Erdtree Avatar Fight Strategy
The Best Tips for Erdtree Avatar:
- Use the Lone Wolf Ashes, Mad Pumpkin Head Ashes, or Spirit Jellyfish Ashes
- Use any Flame incantations to deal good damage.
- Firing magic at range will keep you safe from its melee attacks.
- Wear some holy protection talismans.
Setup: Put a decent number of Rowa Raisins in a quick item slot. Equip enough armor to survive a staff swipe. Surviving an overhead mace smash is less important. Take a look at the environment. The tight quarters around Caelid's Minor Erdtree means you need to adjust your strategy from a circle to a forward and back flow. You can use the Avatar to kill enemies in the area, including stronger ones like minotaurs. Don't bother with ashes. The summoned NPCs die too fast, and more importantly, it's difficult to tell which direction the Avatar is swinging. It's much easier to learn how to dodge it's simple attacks instead of relying on ashes to distract it.
Circle around the Avatar to the left, slashing it in the back until it starts a windup, then move away. Go for one hit until you learn the timing better, and then start increasing the number of attacks.
If the Avatar winds up, run away. If the Avatar jumps, run away and be ready to heal Torrent. If the Avatar smashes the top of the hammer into the ground at it's feet, run around in circles at mid range until all of the holy spears pass. Repeat until the Avatar is chopped down.
Ranged Mounted should do the exact same thing, just without diving in to melee. Don't try and cast while it is swiping at you, its size allows it to close gaps much faster than expected. Burn it with fire.
Melee is nearly the same strategy as Mounted Melee, but you'll need to dodge its swings and jumping AOE. You should try and get some distance for the holy spear attack.
When you encounter the one at the Mountaintops of the Giants, most of its move is similar to the ones you've already fought before, except that it can summon a clone. The clone shares the same health bar as the original Erdtree Avatar, so focusing your attacks on either one of them is just fine. The strategy for this is when the clone is summoned, try separating them and focus on one Erdtree Avatar only since they share the same health bar, it doesn't matter who you attack. If you manage to separate them far away enough, the other one will de-aggro and stop following you.
The Erdtree Avatar located at Caelid is also challenging, as most of its attacks will inflict scarlet rot on you. The move you need to watch out for is the Scarlet Rot Stomp, where puddles of scarlet rot poison will scatter around the area. Don't try and attack him when the scarlet rot is still around, as it will linger for a while on the ground. Just wait for the boss to do its normal attacks, dodge accordingly and get in a few attacks in when possible to chip away its health.
Magic and Ranged Strategy
Bring your desired ash spirit. the Lone Wolf Ashes, Mad Pumpkin Head Ashes, or Spirit Jellyfish Ashes are all good choices, since the Wolves summon three, and the Mad Pumpkin and Jellyfish are both very tanky and they can keep the Erdtree Avatar busy for quite a while. Glintstone Pebble can take him down if you have good spacing and time. Just be sure to back away when needed, and then begin your assault again.
Alternatively, you can equip the Flame Sling incantation, mount Torrent and sprint around the Boss, while hurling fireballs at them. Be sure to explore the surrounding area carefully so you don't get stuck or fall off a cliff. If the Erdtree Avatar tries attacking, just sprint back or to the side. Prepare several Flasks of Cerulean Tears so you don't run out of FP.
Only be aware of its massive staff as it deals a huge amount of damage.
Erdtree Avatar Attacks & Counters
|Erdtree Slam||Jumps in the air and slams the ground with its whole body, dealing AoE Damage.||Roll back to avoid. Roll forward with good timing or jump for extra hits.|
|Staff Strike||Leans back and smashes the staff against the ground, can be followed up by a right to left slanted swing with the staff depending on the players distance after the initial smash.||Roll to your right.|
|Golden Land||Holds staff before slamming it on the ground, creating an AoE blast and light orbs that shoot towards you.||You can just walk or run in one direction and the orbs will completely miss you, just keep in mind that the Erdtree Avatar can also swing his staff to you so you might need to create some distance before dodging the orbs.|
|Clone Summon||Holds the staff before slamming it on the ground, summoning another Erdtree Avatar, but the clone will also share the same health bar as the original Erdtree Avatar. This move is only accessible to the one you'll encounter at the Mountaintops of the Giants||Separate the two Erdtree Avatars away from each other as far as possible, until the other one de-aggros. Then you can focus on killing one, since they both share the same health bar.|
Erdtree Avatar Lore, Notes & Other Trivia
- The attacks and behaviors are very similar to the Asylum and Stray Demons of Dark Souls, including the body slam and staff attacks.
- The homing Holy Dart attack can be used as a skill. See Ash of War: Golden Land.
Erdtree Avatar Image Gallery