Elphael, Brace of the Haligtree
Consecrated Snowfield : 12,598
Dragonbarrow : 12,210
Caelid : 5,845
Guardians of the Minor Erdtrees, infested with Scarlet Rot. Their large staff can knock foes away, and their slam attack releases a cloud of rot, quickly leading to enemies’ demise.
Elden Ring Putrid Avatar Locations
Where to Find Putrid Avatar:
- Western Caelid Minor Erdtree, right in front of the Minor Erdtree Catacombs entrance.
- Northern Caelid Minor Erdtree, right in front of the Dragonbarrow Cave entrance. Elden Ring Map Link.
- Consecrated Snowfield Minor Erdtree, uphill to the east from Ordina, Liturgical Town. Elden Ring Interactive Map Link
Non-boss variants of the Putrid Avatar can also be encountered in the following locations:
- Elphael, Brace of the Haligtree: Found patrolling the ring walkway in the east. To reach this walkway, head out of the Prayer Room site of grace and jump onto the second buttress (concrete beam) connecting to a tower. Descend the tower and use the ledges on the bottom to reach the ring walkway. Drops the Rotten Staff Colossal Weapon upon defeat. [Elden Ring Map Link]
- Elphael, Brace of the Haligtree: Another one is found guarding the entrance to the Elphael Inner Wall Site of Grace in the north. Drops a Lord's Rune upon defeat. [Elden Ring Map Link]
Putrid Avatar Combat Information
- Health: NG (??), NG+ (??), NG++ (??), NG+3 (??), NG+4 (??), NG+5 (??), NG+6 (??), NG+7 (??)
- Defenses do not change between phases - a firebomb will do the same damage in phase 1 as in phase 2.
- Deals Strike and Holy Damage.
- Can inflict Scarlet Rot with its ground slam attack.
- Parriable: Yes
- Can be poise broken with heavy strikes.
The absorption numbers are the % of your damage that gets blocked. For example if an absorption is 60. 40% of that damage by that type will go through and 60% is absorbed. Bigger number= less damage. An absorption of 100 means no damage goes through, and a resistance of -100 mean the enemy takes 2x damage from that source. 0 means damage goes pretty much as is.
- Poison: Immune
- Scarlet Rot: Immune
- Hemorrhage: Immune
- Frostbite: 332 (Caelid), 383 (Dragonbarrow, Caelid), 399 (consecr. snowf.), 415 (Haligtree).
- Death: Immune
The resistance numbers is the buildup amount to trigger it. For example if a resistance is 100 you must deal 100 points of whatever aux buildup to trigger it. Note that these go down over time, and increase each time the effect procs.
Elden Ring Putrid Avatar Drops and Drop Rates
Elden Ring Putrid Avatar Boss Guide
Putrid Avatar Boss Video Guide
[video coming soon]
Putrid Avatar Fight Strategy
The Best Tips for Putrid Avatar:
- Extremely weak to fire damage, with -100 absorption value making it take double damage. Any black flame incantations are especially devastating due to dealing %HP damage.
- Immune to poison, scarlet rot and bleed. Susceptible to frost.
- For fans who find FromSoftware's former franchises fun, this foe feels familiar. Keeping the Asylum Demon in mind tends to turn the tides of this tough tussle towards the track of trivial trifle.
Try using fire grease as it is incredibly weak to fire as mentioned above. Whenever the putrid Erdtree jumps it spits off scarlet rot in the direction it is currently facing also causing aoe damage to the player. This can be avoided by dodging to the side and following up with a couple of jump attacks. To avoid getting caught up in his scarlet rot keep rotating 45 degrees clockwise in order to have more space to dodge it. Whenever the avatar slams its Staff of the Avatar to the ground it will create a massive shockwave which is followed up by beams of light homing into you. This, however can be easily avoided by running into the avatar and rolling when it attacks.
Magic and Ranged Users
For magic and ranged users, bringing some spirit ash of your choice can be quite helpful in this situation. Your spirit summon can distract the boss while you cast away your spells/incantations or shoot your arrows. It's important that you maintain distance especially when you see the boss jump in the air, the scarlet rot stomp is dangerous and can eat away your health very quickly.
Putrid Avatar Attacks & Counters
|Rotted Slam||Leaps into the air and slams its body down, releasing a cloud of Scarlet Rot in front of it||Due to the Rot cloud, it is dangerous to dodge backwards. Maneuver around its backside to avoid it and punish|
|Staff Strikes||Leans back and smashes the staff against the ground, can be followed up by a right to left slanted swing with the staff depending on the players distance after the initial smash.||Roll to your right.|
|Holds staff before slamming it on the ground, creating an AoE blast and light orbs that shoot towards you.||You can just walk or run in one direction and the orbs will completely miss you, just keep in mind that the Putrid Avatar can also swing his staff to you so you might need to create some distance before dodging the orbs.|
|Stomp||Raises its right foot and slams it down quickly.||This attack comes out very fast, so be prepared to roll.|
Putrid Avatar Lore, Notes & Other Trivia
- FLAME SLING/BLACK FLAME EARLY GAME TIP: This boss is very weak to fire and can be reached pretty early in game, making it a golden rune nugget to Faith based builds. First, you need to interact with the teleporter just outside the Third Church of Marika, in East Limgrave. You will then be teleported to the Bestial Sanctum, in Caelid. All you have to do now is take the road South, ignoring every enemy in the way (since they are probably too strong for you to take on at the moment). Continue past the bridge with Flying Dragon Greyll and you will reach a minor Erdtree with Putrid Avatar standing guard just in front of it. Summon Torrent and keep a safe distance while you burn it to the ground. You can bait him into following you up and down the road, making the fight a lot more manageable. It may take a while, but keep doing this until he is finished and you'll get plenty of runes.
- Putrid Avatars use a similar moveset to the Stray Demons of the Dark Souls series.
Putrid Avatar Image Gallery