A former gladiator that has succumbed to his bloodlust and was locked away deep in a cave. He wields a particularly large battle axe than he can use with ease, along with releasing a bolstering war cry.
Elden Ring Frenzied Duelist Boss
Frenzied Duelist is a Field Boss found in Gaol Cave
- This is an optional boss
- Closest Site of Grace: Gaol Cave
- Multiplayer is allowed for this boss
- Spirit summons are possible for this boss
Elden Ring Frenzied Duelist Location
Frenzied Duelist Combat Information
- Health: NG (3079), NG+ (??), NG++ (??), NG+3 (??), NG+4 (??), NG+5 (??), NG+6 (??), NG+7 (??)
- Defenses do not change between phases - a firebomb will do the same damage in phase 1 as in phase 2.
- Deals Standard Damage (Greataxe attacks) and Strike Damage (2nd phase flail attacks).
- Parriable: Yes
- It is difficult, but possible, to backstab him.
- Large bursts of damage will cause him to stumble and interrupt an attack, but cannot be riposted in this state.
- Weak to: Hemorrhage, Frostbite and Poison
- His long delays between heach attack can be used to easily heal, buff or cast. It can also be a danger when dodging due to large delays between each hits. Also note that he has much longer combos than expected at first (5-6 attacks in some cases)
- His combos are very effective at covering large distances, making the boss capable to easily close the gap and punish if the player dodges backwards too much. Instead, abuse his poor tracking by dodging to the side before creating some distance or attacking.
- Upon reaching his second phase, he will perform a buff similar to Battle Cry, which will boost his general damage and unlock more moves (flail attacks and longer combos mostly).
The absorption numbers are the % of your damage that gets blocked. For example if an absorption is 60. 40% of that damage by that type will go through and 60% is absorbed. Bigger number= less damage. An absorption of 100 means no damage goes through, and a resistance of -100 mean the enemy takes 2x damage from that source. 0 means damage goes pretty much as is.
The resistance numbers is the buildup amount to trigger it. For example if a resistance is 100 you must deal 100 points of whatever aux buildup to trigger it. Note that these go down over time, and increase each time the effect procs.
Elden Ring Frenzied Duelist Boss Guide
Frenzied Duelist Boss Video Guide
[video coming soon]
Frenzied Duelist Fight Strategy
The Best Tips for Frenzied Duelist:
Since this boss is a melee based fighter, most counter attacks will include basic timed rolled through and sidestepping to avoid the melee axe swings while repositioning yourself behind the boss at all times in order to get a back stab and avoid incoming attacks. At a high level, this boss is defeated fairly quickly. For melee combat, it is recommended that you don't back up too far away because he has the ability to extend his attack range by swinging his axe on the extended chain, the duelist mainly will use short ranged basic melee attacks for this fight. If you have a shield with you, the recommended strategy is to just continue circling behind him, wait for the openings between his attacks and constant aim for a back stab. Repeat the pattern of waiting for his attack and following up with your own attack until his Hp is depleted.
Magic and Ranged Users
While fighting at a distance, the main attacks to look out for as a ranged user is the large chain axe swing where he extends the chain for more range. Its best to remain mid range so he keeps to his basic melee attacks that are slow moving and easy to dodge through. If available, players can try using the Gavel of Haima which uses a magical greathammer against foes. This deals powerful attacks that stagger him and open up longer opportunities for a string of attacks, almost keeping him from fighting back. At a distance, any other ranged magic or attacks are also usable against him especially because of his slow run.
Frenzied Duelist Attacks & Counters
|Axe Swing||Swings his axe in various ways||Depending on where he is in his combo, either dodge away and prepare to dodge the rest of the combo or dodge behind him and land an attack or a backstab. Note that only some axe swings are parriable, and it's not obvious which; see the combo chart below for details|
|Ball & Chain||Swings the ball and chain on the hilt of his axe||Roll away and wait out the combo|
|Axe Shove||Shoves the head of his axe forward||Roll away and wait out the combo|
|Stomp||Lifts its leg briefly and stomps on the ground. Usually does this when the player is behind his back||Roll left or right|
|Grab||Raises his right hand and crouches to the ground before lunging forward into a grab that deal a lot of damage if it connects||If you have time, you can just walk behind him and land a few attacks while he's grabbing air. If you're caught by surprise, roll to the left or right|
|Axe Chain Swing||Twirls its axe around his head in two wide arcs||Roll to your left once for each swing. This is only parriable up close just before the first swing|
|Ball & Chain Swing||Swings the ball on the hilt of his axe four times at progressively longer range||The first swing can't hurt you, but the rest can. The chain only deals damage in front of the duelist, so try to dodge behind it|
|Axe Charge||Puts the front of its axe on the ground and charges forward before lifting it off the ground||Roll to the left or right to get out of the way of its charge and prepare to dodge its follow-up swing|
|Running Attack||Runs forward with its axe raised, then spins around swinging twice||Roll twice, then get in a counterattack while he recovers|
: Attack can be parried
Frenzied Duelist Lore, Notes & Other Trivia
- Voice Actor: ??
- Other Notes and Trivia Go Here
Frenzied Duelist Combo Chart
Frenzied Duelist Image Gallery