Black Flame is an Incantation in Elden Ring. Black Flame spell throws a fireball of black flame that can be charged to deal additional damage and explode on impact. It also does damage over time after hitting a target. Updated to Patch 1.07.
A black flame incantation of the Godskin Apostles.
Throws a ball of raging black fire.
Charging enhances potency and causes the fireball to explode.
Black flame is weighty. After dealing damage it continues to sap foes' HP for a very short time.
Where to find Black Flame
Where to find Black Flame:
- This incantation is unlocked for purchase after giving a Godskin Prayerbook to Brother Corhyn or Miriel, Pastor of Vows.
- If Miriel does not have Black Flame but you are certain you have given away the Godskin Prayerbook, check first if Corhyn has it in his shop inventory. This is also the case for Corhyn's Bell Bearing shop with the Twin Maiden Husks if Corhyn's questline has been fully completed.
Godskin Prayerbook Location:
- Location: Stormveil Castle
- Nearest Site of Grace: Liftside Chamber
- From the liftside chamber exit into the courtyard and head due South hugging the rightside wall until you see a set of stairs that goes underground. You'll find a room that is guarded by four Rats, and ahead, is a doorway that is blocked by a white fog. To dispel this, you will need to use a Stonesword Key on the Imp Statue. You'll find a stock room upon unlocking the doorway, the room has a treasure chest where the book is.
Elden Ring Black Flame Guide
- Godskin Apostle Incantation
- Stamina Cost: 25
- Price: 7500 Runes
- Deals (Seal Scaling x1,87) fire damage before resistances, with an additional 2,5% of the enemy's max health, charging increases damage by +30%
- Deals fire damage on the initial impact, then applies a black flame effect to enemies that deals 2-5% of of their total health over 2 seconds. The initial damage is improved with Incant Scaling, but the damage-over-time effect cannot be improved.
- Charging the spell increases the initial fire damage, and also causes the fireball to explode on impact, potentially hitting more than one enemy or hitting an enemy that you would otherwise have missed
- Very effective against bosses and enemies with large health pools.
- This potency of this incantation is enhanced by the Godslayer's Seal
- The damage over time effect does not scale with anything, which means it can be effective even at low levels of Faith in order to deal damage from afar to high-health enemies.
- Compared to Scouring Black Flame, this spell is weaker in damage, however it has better range and charging it makes it equall to a charged Scouring Black Flame
- NOTE: Since Patch 1.07 Stamina Attack Power against guarded enemies has been Increased.
Builds with Black Flame
Elden Ring Black Flame Notes and tips
FAQ: How do you buff a Black Flame Elden Ring?
- Black Flame is featured in a number of Incantations that focus on using Black Flame against players. This is not limited to the Black Flame Spell. Godslayer Incantations are the collection of spells that conjure black fire and can be considered when selecting spells for your Memory slots when keeping Black Flame in mind. The Best way to make sure you are optimizing your damage output with Black Flame is to create a complementing build around it. Items like the Godslayer's Seal scales primarily with Faith and Strength and specifically adds boosts to Godslayer Incantations.
- Those who want to specialize in these Incantations would benefit with a starting class of either Prophet, Confessor or Samurai. A Blackflame Apostle Build has been pre-made for players who want to optimize their Black Flame casting. This is recommended for players 50 and above and was designed to boost Bleed and Damage by pairing the spells and the Seal with any bleed weapon. Black Flame Blade has a very short cast time but very short duration. It does extra damage, and it's damage over time is based on the Max HP of the enemy, so it's more effective against high HP targets like Bosses and tough enemies, and is fantastic in Co Op where Bosses and enemies have even more HP. It also is good against enemies that can't Bleed.Black Flame is your ranged spell that does solid damage, and a bit of damage over time as well based on the Max HP of the target, so just like Black Flame Blade is good against high HP enemies. However, you'll use this on many enemies just to clear some out before engaging in melee combat. Catch Flame is great for enemies that are physical damage resistant, and is slightly cheaper than Black Flame. Use when you need fire damage up close.
Black Flame Other Notes
- Updated to patch 1.07. See Patch Notes for details.
- Other notes and player tips go here.