D, Hunter of the Dead
|Role||Quest NPC and Summon|
|Voiced by||Huw Parmenter|
D, Hunter of the Dead is an NPC in Elden Ring. D is a hunter of the undead who can be found where the Tibia Mariner boss is located, and later at the Roundtable Hold. When you first encounter D, he will warn you that the nearby small town of Summonwater Village has been taken over by a Mariner. If the player shows him Deathroot and takes him up on his offer of introduction, he will mark your map with a red "Sending Gate" waypoint, indicating that it will take you to the Beast Clergymen.
I’m known as D. I hunt Those Who Live in Death, and weed their Deathroot.
D, Hunter of the Dead Location in Elden Ring
- D, Hunter of the Dead can be found mourning a person dead at his feet in Stormhill, Limgrave. Here, he will warn you against going any further east towards Summonwater Village. [Map Link]
- Obtaining a Deathroot will cause him to move to the southwestern entrance of Summonwater Village. [Map Link]
- If not spoken to in the above location(s), D can subsequently be found at Roundtable Hold.
- D can be summoned to help you fight the Black Knife Assassin in Black Knife Catacombs and the Tibia Mariner in East Liurnia.
- This NPC moves.
- This NPC can be fought (only possible when first meeting him in Limgrave).
- If defeated, drops:
Elden Ring D, Hunter of the Dead Shop
D, Hunter of the Dead sells Incantations.
D, Hunter of the Dead Questline: How to complete D, Hunter of the Dead's Quest
- D, Hunter of the Dead is first found in Stormhill, Limgrave, to the east of Stormhill Shack. Here, he will warn the player of "those who live in death", referring to the undead infestation of Summonwater Village. He can also be found in Roundtable Hold on your first visit [reason unknown].
- Players should go to Summonwater Village and defeat the Tibia Mariner boss there, then return to D at the Roundtable Hold or rest at grace and find him by the southwestern entrance in the water of Summonwater Village to continue his quest. He will give you directions to the Bestial Sanctum in Caelid. You can teleport there without having to explore by going to the "Sending Gate" in East Limgrave. [Map Link]
- Will become available as a merchant once the player has visited Gurranq. Player can return to Roundtable Hold and speak to D, who will give them a dialogue option; selecting "yes" will allow the player to purchase D's incantations.
- During Rogier's quest line, a letter left to you by Rogier mentions that D has a younger brother, and hints at his location.
- During Fia's and Rogier's quest line, you will be asked to find the owner of a particular Weathered Dagger. D is the owner. Give him the dagger and reload the area. Then, in a newly opened room in the back of the Roundtable Hold, you will find D's Bell Bearing and the Twinned Set.
- You can find his twin brother just before the arena for the Valiant Gargoyle boss in Nokron. [Map Link] You will receive the Inner Order gesture upon interacting with him.
- D's armor (unaltered) can optionally be given to his brother. If you do so, and then reload the area (none of the mobs you've killed will respawn), you can summon him for help with the gargoyles. In addition, he will appear again near the end of Fia's quest line. If you don't give him the armor, he will remain on the balcony where he was first encountered.
- Alternatively, you can kill D at his first location and give the armor to his brother. After reloading the area or the game, D's brother will be aggressive to you and can be fought.
Dialogue in Elden Ring: D, Hunter of the Dead
Introduction at Roundtable Hold
- "I don't believe we've met. I'm known as D. I hunt down Those Who Live in Death, and weed their Deathroot. Heed my warning. Those Who Live in Death should be left well alone. All the more, should you spy a mariner among their number. Unless you wish to lay down your life in vain."
- (If previously spoken to in Limgrave) "Ah... we meet again. I'm glad you took my warning to heart. Those Who Live in Death should be left well alone. All the more, should you spy a mariner among their number."
- "Those Who Live in Death should be left well alone. All the more, should you spy a mariner among their number."
Introduction at Limgrave
- "There's no mistake, is there? Death has left its mark once again.
I'm sorry, I cannot give you your proper rites...
But at least you did not join Those Who Live in Death. Your soul will return to the Erdtree, in time.
Honeyed rays of gold, deliver this spirit."
- (When spoken to) "Ah, a Tarnished, are you? I'm known as D. I hunt down Those Who Live in Death, and weed their Deathroot.
Heed my warning. The village here has been touched by Death.
And worse yet, it is home to a mariner. If you value your life, then go no further."
- "The village here has been touched by death. Turn back, while you still can."
- (When spoken to after obtaining Deathroot) "Ah, a Tarnished, are you? With a prowess for weeding Deathroot.
... I'm known as D. I hunt down Those Who Live in Death, and weed their Deathroot." (continues into Gurranq introduction dialogue)
- (Warning) <wince>
"Don't you dare. Unless you want to die like a dog?"
- (Combat) "Very well. Honeyed rays of gold, deliver this spirit."
- (On player kill) "I swear, there's a blight spreading amongst the Tarnished..."
- "How could this... happen...?
Forgive me, Devin... D-Devin..."
After showing Deathroot
- "Well, well... Another fool who won't listen to reason, eh? But with a prowess for weeding Deathroot.
... How would you like to earn the strength of beasts? If you're inclined to hunt more of Those Who Live in Death, and weed their Deathroot, then I'll introduce you to Gurranq, the beast clergyman.
I have a matter of my own to attend to. And the beast himself wishes for someone to take my place. What say you?"
- [Accept introduction] "Very well. Show me your map.
... I've marked the location for you. Of a hidden gateway. It will lead you to Gurranq, the beast clergyman."
(A red mark was made on the map)
- "What is it? Still milling about? The map indicates where the gateway is hidden. It will lead you to Gurranq, the beast clergyman."
- "I have a matter of my own to attend to.
(If still in Limgrave) I spotted the mark of the centipede here in the village.
(If in the Roundtable Hold) I've spotted the mark of the centipede.
An ill-omened symbol that should not be. Someone, or something, threatens the sanctity of the Golden Order. And must be eradicated."
- [Decline introduction] "Well, all right, then. No sense in forcing you."
- [Decline introduction, then talk] (If still in Limgrave) "What now? Had a change of heart?"
(If in the Roundtable Hold) "What's wrong? Got cold feet, have you?"
After accepting introduction, before meeting Gurranq
- "Ah, hello again. You haven't gone to see Gurranq yet, have you?
Well, no rush. You do as you please.
Just as long as he doesn't starve to death, eh."
- "Go to Gurranq only if you feel the time is right. Killing Those Who Live in Death and weeding their Deathroot...
Is a path not to be trod without ample resolve."
After meeting Gurranq
- "You've met Gurranq, I take it? Then owing to our duties shared, we are now comrades-in-arms.
I think you've earned this. The power of the Golden Order, to aid the hunt of Those Who Live in Death."
- "Ah, hello. You've been busy weeding Deathroot, I take it. I thank you, as your brother-in-arms.
So, what can I do for you?"
- "Ah, hello there. What can I do for you?"
- "Did you need something else?"
- "I serve the Golden Order. That I might put this crooked land to rights.
Following only the guidance of the great Elden Ring. Those Who Live in Death fall outside the principles of the Golden Order.
Their mere existence sullies the guidance of gold. Tainting its truth. And so it is the vermin must be exterminated... Down to the very last."
- "Are you acquainted with a man named Rogier? You know, the piteous fellow hiding away on the balcony?
He was a formidable spellblade, in times past.
Don't let his easy air deceive you. He was wise beyond his years, stout of heart and clear of mind.
No more though. You see him now, ravaged by thorns, muttering and rambling...
Like he's half dead already. I can't stomach to watch. Take well the lesson, friend.
That's how you end up, when seduced by Those Who Live in Death. When grace is sullied, it rots people from the inside. Breaks them."
After showing Weathered Dagger
- "Well, what have we here? How did you get your hands on that dagger? ...Well. That hardly matters. I know very well whose dagger it is. Why don't I return it to them for you? Good work, bringing this to me."
Elden Ring D Notes & Trivia
- D, Hunter of the Dead's real name is Darian, as revealed by his twin brother after completing Fia's questline.
- The name of D(arian)'s twin brother is Devin, as revealed by D(arian) if you kill him when first encountered in Limgrave.
- D's name and occupation of hunting the undead is likely a reference to the title character of Vampire Hunter D, a series of Japanese light novels written by Hideyuki Kikuchi and illustrated by Yoshitaka Amano.
- If provoked, D wields the Inseparable Sword and a sacred seal, which he uses to cast Beast Claw and (insert other spells)