Knight Bernahl (later known as Recusant Bernahl) is an NPC in Elden Ring. Bernahl is a Tarnished Knight initially found at the Warmaster's Shack in central Stormhill. He serves as an Ash of War merchant, selling various ashes in exchange for Runes. He is also involved in certain questlines and will move locations according to player progress. Upon meeting him and progressing his storyline, he can become available as an NPC Summon against the Godskin Duo, as well as an NPC Invader.
Let me ask you something.
Are you here in the Lands Between to take up the fight?
Does your faith in the guidance of grace hold firm, despite the collapse of the Golden Order?
Knight Bernahl Locations in Elden Ring
- Knight Bernahl can initially be found at the Warmaster's Shack in Stormhill. [Map link]
- After pledging your allegiance to Volcano Manor, Bernahl will move into the manor and will henceforth be known as Recusant Bernahl.
- After the second Volcano Manor request, Bernahl will give you Letter to Bernahl, a co-op Volcano Manor invasion mission against Vargram the Raging Wolf and Errant Sorcerer Wilhelm, in Leyndell, Royal Capital. He gives you Gelmir's Fury as a reward. This step is unavailable and skipped if the player has already cleared Crumbling Farum Azula.
- NPC Summons: Can be summoned for the Godskin Duo fight in Crumbling Farum Azula. You can find his summon sign by starting at the Dragon Temple Transept site of grace and going up the narrow staircase.
- After Rykard has been killed and the Volcano Manor emptied, you'll be invaded by Recusant Bernahl in Crumbling Farum Azula, in the walkway to the Old Lord's Talisman treasure chest, after passing the Beside the Great Bridge site of grace. [Map link]
- The invasion can happen even if the player has defeated all Crumbling Farum Azula area bosses.
- Until this happens, his sword will be present on his chair in Volcano Manor, and you can continue to learn skills from it.
When defeated, Recusant Bernahl drops:
- Blasphemous Claw
- Devourer's Scepter
- Beast Champion Helm
- Beast Champion Armor (Altered)
- Beast Champion Gauntlets
- Beast Champion Greaves
- Bernahl's Bell Bearing (not dropped from Invader form, although Skills can still be learned at his sword in Volcano Manor)
- This NPC moves location depending on game's progress.
- This merchant can be fought.
Knight Bernahl Shop
|Item Name||Item Type||Purchase Value||Availability|
|Ash of War: Stamp (Upward Cut)||Ash of War||1,500||Always|
|Ash of War: Kick||Ash of War||800||Always|
|Ash of War: Endure||Ash of War||600||Always|
|Ash of War: War Cry||Ash of War||800||Always|
|Ash of War: Spinning Slash||Ash of War||1,200||Always|
|Ash of War: Impaling Thrust||Ash of War||1,000||Always|
|Ash of War: Quickstep||Ash of War||800||Always|
|Ash of War: Storm Blade||Ash of War||1,800||Always|
|Ash of War: Parry||Ash of War||600||Always|
|Ash of War: No Skill||Ash of War||600||Always|
|Ash of War: Eruption||Ash of War||8,000||Joined Volcano Manor|
|Ash of War: Assassin's Gambit||Ash of War||6,500||Joined Volcano Manor|
Knight Bernahl Questline: How to complete Knight Bernahl's Quest
- After completing the second assassination as part of the Volcano Manor questline, and talking to Bernahl, he gives you the Letter to Bernahl, which outlines two assassination targets and invites you to take them out together.
- When you return to your world after helping Bernahl with his invasion, you are rewarded with the Raging Wolf Set.
- After the assassinations, Bernahl will award you with the Gelmir's Fury sorcery spell after reporting back to him at Volcano Manor.
- Bernahl will invade in Crumbling Farum Azula. From the Beside the Great Bridge site of grace, go out the door and up the stairs, then turn north towards the dragon temple. Go into the temple, and make your way to the eastern lone tower. He'll invade by its door, dropping his armor set, the Devourer's Scepter, and the Blasphemous Claw usable item.
Knight Bernahl Dialogue
- Not seen you before. Name's Bernahl. Tarnished, just like you. Let me ask you something. Are you here in the Lands Between to take up the fight? Does your faith in the guidance of grace hold firm, despite the collapse of the Golden Order?
If "My faith holds firm" option is chosen
- Yes, you're a Tarnished through and through. Takes me back, but that's a quality needed now more than ever. Any interest in bearing the torch, of my battle arts? All I know is the sword. Picked up a fair few tricks in my time, too. Now's the time to pass 'em on. To a good and proper Tarnished, like you.
If "I'm not sure" option is chosen
- Honest to a fault, I see. Such thoughts won't behoove you as a Tarnished. But there’s nothing wrong with that. Any interest in bearing the torch, of my battle arts? All I know is the sword. Picked up a fair few tricks in my time, too. Now's the time to pass 'em on. To a good and proper Tarnished, like you.
- There's a myriad of battle arts in these lands that I've yet to discover. Mementos of all the warriors who raised their arms in battle, lost, and died. A fine tale, all told, of true chivalric romance. That's how I fell in love with the sword, and the arts of combat. It grants meaning even to falling in battle, to death itself.
- No Purchase Made: Not floating your boat, eh? Well, there's no rush. Knowledge of the arts can wait another day.
- Purchase Made: Well, until we meet again.
- After Purchasing and selecting 'leave': Oh, not had your fill, eh? Worry not, I've enough to keep you busy.
- (Combat) I suppose I have no choice, then. Is this what grace would have of us?
- (On player kill) Dog eat dog, once again. A sad lot, we Tarnished.
- You are an enigma, to be certain. The Volcano Manor awaits you.
At Volcano Manor
- You... What in heaven's name are you doing here? The Volcano Manor is a pit of recusants who spit at grace and hunt our own kind.
I hope you understand the weight of my words.
- (I understand) Well. As long as you understand what you're saying. I thought you a Tarnished bred by virtue.
Perhaps playing that part led you to your doubts, I wonder.
But know that the path you walk is blasphemy, and lead only to a miserable death. Before you consider hunting any of your own kind, think on that.
After completing one Volcano Manor quest
- So. You've bloodied your sword in the hunt. Then I shall introduce myself once more.
Bernahl, a recusant, just like you. Recusants have particular battle arts, styled to our methods of slaughter.
Why not add some to your repertoire?
- To take power and make it his own, The recusant must hunt his own kind. To raise the flag of revolt against this sanctified pillaging.
We recusants must become the most wretched of predators. All you can do is laugh.
After completing two Volcano Manor quest
- Look at you. A recusant through and through. I knew you had it in you. Take this.
[You receive the Letter to Bernahl]
- A special invitation, to hunt some of the first Tarnished who sat at the Roundtable Hold.
If you should accept, I'll next see you on the field of battle.
After completing his quest
- Ah, I had hoped you'd soon return. I have the reward from Lady Tanith.
Take it. It's yours, by right.
- Let us tread the path of the recusant together. Till we reach the miserable death that awaits us.
After defeating Rykard
- So. You killed Rykard? I harbour you no ill will. The strong take. Such is our code.
Even he was prepared to meet a wretched end when he first took blasphemy unto his very flesh.
But anyroad, the Volcano Manor is no more. Though we may yet fulfil an old promise.
We hunted our own kind, and took what was theirs. And with everything in hand, the time has come to rise, against the Erdtree.
- O Greater Will, hear my voice. I am the recusant Bernahl, inheritor of my brother's will, and you will fall to my blade.
We refuse to become your pawns. Consider this fair warning.
Elden Ring Knight Bernahl Notes & Trivia
- If it's nighttime, and Knight Bernahl is not inside the Warmaster's Shack, entering will instead spawn a field boss named Bell Bearing Hunter.
- If you do not talk to Bernahl at all he will never leave the Manor and never invade you. You can return to him at any point to exhaust his dialogue. He will then disappear from the Manor and invade you at Crumbling Farum Azula.
- If Bernahl is provoked while at the Warmaster's Shack, he wields a Zweihander and a Sacred Seal.
- Can buff himself by casting Golden Vow.
- As an invader, can heal 1 time.
- After he moves to Volcano Manor, he uses the Devourer's Scepter instead of a Zweihander.
Knight Bernahl Image Gallery